Server becomes damn slow after 3-4 days of continuous work

Hi.

A few months ago this problem never occurred. A few weeks ago it occurred
only after about one week. Now it occurs every 3-4 days: logging on the
console becomes awfully slow.

The server is still responsive enough when I log on using Terminal Services.
It still also processes it network routing job as expected. It is however
almost impossible to stay in front of the console until I get the control. I
tried once to reboot the server from a remote pc but one hour later it still
hadn't rebooted.

As this problem happens more and more frequently I'd really like to know
what I can do to prevent this from happening.

Thanks in advance.

--

Vince C.
4 answers Last reply

    Go to task manager and check which application uses the more memory (May be
    due to some problem in application it wont release the memory and memory
    leak problem will start)

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/waguide/htm
    /memleak_1.asp?frame=true

    Subbu
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Subrahmanya Bhandarkar [MSFT]" <v-subrab@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news:LwUFbj8VEHA.304@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
    > Go to task manager and check which application uses the more memory (May be
    > due to some problem in application it wont release the memory and memory
    > leak problem will start)
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/waguide/htm
    > /memleak_1.asp?frame=true
    >
    > Subbu

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Subrahmanya Bhandarkar [MSFT]" <v-subrab@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news:LwUFbj8VEHA.304@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
    > Go to task manager and check which application uses the more memory (May be
    > due to some problem in application it wont release the memory and memory
    > leak problem will start)
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/waguide/htm
    > /memleak_1.asp?frame=true

    Thanks. I'll check.

    Vince C.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Subrahmanya Bhandarkar [MSFT]" <v-subrab@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans
    le message de news:LwUFbj8VEHA.304@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
    > Go to task manager and check which application uses the more memory (May
    be
    > due to some problem in application it wont release the memory and memory
    > leak problem will start)

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/waguide/htm
    > /memleak_1.asp?frame=true
    >
    > Subbu

    After the problem occured again, I didn't find any memory leaks. All
    applications were using memory normally just like when W2K server is running
    normally. So the problem is not solved.

    Note that now I cannot even connect to Terminal Services anymore though it
    was still responsive before, even when slow down occured. So the next time I
    won't probably even be able to do anything but pressing the hard reset
    button. This is very annoying. One step from erasing W2K server from my
    machine.

    Vince C.

Consoles Microsoft Servers Windows