OC advice for Core 2 Duo?

Calapuso

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Hi,

I am not new to OCing but only have experience with AMD OCing. The OC abilities of the Core 2 Duo look great so I have spent some time doing some research into which components I should get to get the best out of it however, i still have a few uncertainties. Here are some of the components I have selected:

Mobo -> Asus P5W DH Deluxe
CPU -> Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM -> Corsair TWINX2048-6400C4
Cooler -> Sythe Ninja w/ 120mm Fan

Components already got are:

PSU -> Hiper Modular 580W
Case -> Thermaltake Tsunami
GPU-> ATI X1900XT

I am aiming for max overclock of CPU (price permitting). Anandtech Conroe buying guide seems to suggest Asus mobo is the best for Conroe, with up to 450Mhz OC on FSB which works out at a possible 9*450 ~ 4 Ghz CPU OC w/ good air cooling. I wanted to get the Tower cooler they used, which from reviews looks great, but it is next to impossible to get in the UK so I went for the Sythe instead (is there better?).

Ok so now this is the bit im not certain about as my experience is limited to the AMD OC world. I think I am right but please could you check the following. Core 2 Duo has a real 266Mhz FSB quad pumped to ~1066Mhz. DDR2 specs say RAM type does 4 transfers per cycle. So at stock CPU speeds to get a 1:1 CPU/Memory ratio I need to run the RAM at 533. I am assuming running bus between CPU and Memory synchrounsly is preferable to maximising performance. So to get a 1:1 ratio at close to max OC speeds i should OC the RAM to DDRII 889 and set the CPU FSB to ~444Mhz to match. From the reveiws i have read both the mobo and RAM are capable of this at 4-4-4-15 timings. If i am unlucky and cant get this high i will probably go for a 400Mhz FSB OC and DDR2 800 speeds. but i will need to do so performance tests to see if running asynchrously between 400 and 444 has any negative or postive effects on perfoemance.

Ok long first post. :) If i am completey wrong please tell me or you have some advice I am would appreciate being told.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi,

I am not new to OCing but only have experience with AMD OCing. The OC abilities of the Core 2 Duo look great so I have spent some time doing some research into which components I should get to get the best out of it however, i still have a few uncertainties. Here are some of the components I have selected:

Mobo -> Asus P5W DH Deluxe
CPU -> Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM -> Corsair TWINX2048-6400C4
Cooler -> Sythe Ninja w/ 120mm Fan

Components already got are:

PSU -> Hiper Modular 580W
Case -> Thermaltake Tsunami
GPU-> ATI X1900XT

I am aiming for max overclock of CPU (price permitting). Anandtech Conroe buying guide seems to suggest Asus mobo is the best for Conroe, with up to 450Mhz OC on FSB which works out at a possible 9*450 ~ 4 Ghz CPU OC w/ good air cooling. I wanted to get the Tower cooler they used, which from reviews looks great, but it is next to impossible to get in the UK so I went for the Sythe instead (is there better?).

Ok so now this is the bit im not certain about as my experience is limited to the AMD OC world. I think I am right but please could you check the following. Core 2 Duo has a real 266Mhz FSB quad pumped to ~1066Mhz. DDR2 specs say RAM type does 4 transfers per cycle. So at stock CPU speeds to get a 1:1 CPU/Memory ratio I need to run the RAM at 533. I am assuming running bus between CPU and Memory synchrounsly is preferable to maximising performance. So to get a 1:1 ratio at close to max OC speeds i should OC the RAM to DDRII 889 and set the CPU FSB to ~444Mhz to match. From the reveiws i have read both the mobo and RAM are capable of this at 4-4-4-15 timings. If i am unlucky and cant get this high i will probably go for a 400Mhz FSB OC and DDR2 800 speeds. but i will need to do so performance tests to see if running asynchrously between 400 and 444 has any negative or postive effects on perfoemance.

Ok long first post. :) If i am completey wrong please tell me or you have some advice I am would appreciate being told.

You are correct. :wink: