Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 824302

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2004 4:32:32 PM

I have recently purchased a laptop with Windows XP Pro. I have joined it to
my Win2k domain no problem. However I am having a problem with cache
creditals. In the evenings I take this laptop home with me. I want to use
the same creditals I use to login whilst I'm connected to the Win2k domain
at work. Obviously because I am not connected to the network it should come
up with Windows cannot create profile directory. You will be logged on with
a local profile only and will log me on with the cache creditals. This is
how it works with my win2k laptop. However with my winxp laptop I get the
following message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
domainname is not available.".

I have connected microsoft and applied the hotfix outlined in KB824302 to no
avail. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I may resolve this issue?

Many Thanks,

John Barwell
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2004 4:32:33 PM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:32:32 +0100, "John Barwell" <johnbarwell@msmdirect.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have recently purchased a laptop with Windows XP Pro. I have joined it to
>my Win2k domain no problem. However I am having a problem with cache
>creditals. In the evenings I take this laptop home with me. I want to use
>the same creditals I use to login whilst I'm connected to the Win2k domain
>at work. Obviously because I am not connected to the network it should come
>up with Windows cannot create profile directory. You will be logged on with
>a local profile only and will log me on with the cache creditals. This is
>how it works with my win2k laptop. However with my winxp laptop I get the
>following message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
>domainname is not available.".
>
>I have connected microsoft and applied the hotfix outlined in KB824302 to no
>avail. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I may resolve this issue?
>
>Many Thanks,
>

>John Barwell

Use tip 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
to create a local account that uses the profile, and log on locally.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com