Why 1st line after FF starts in pp 2?

Why is the data following every Form Feed printing in print position 2
of the first line on the next form--not print position 1? All other
CR-LF combinations do start in print position 1.

The IBM 6400i-10 matrix line printer we just purchased is supposed to
be the direct replacement for our aging 4234-001. We suppport it
directly thru a
3174-01L local attached non-SNA controller via coax.

Apparently, the 6400 does not behave like the 4234 100%. In addition,
it
ALWAYS ejects a form before printing. The 4234 would always begin
printing on the line set as TOF even if a FF was initially present.

Any thoughts?

Yes. By definition, a FF is supposed to position at the left margin on
the first line of the next form. The data stream buffer starts with :

x'C80C...data...0D15...more data... etc. until another
FF-->...0C...data...until end of buffer-->...19'

=Bob=

Jim

"bfwd" <bforward@texarkanacollege.edu> wrote in message
> Why is the data following every Form Feed printing in print position 2
> of the first line on the next form--not print position 1? All other
> CR-LF combinations do start in print position 1.
Because FF means go to the top of the next page.
Jim

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

I think from the ops question he/she knows that FF means to go to the top of
the next page. The question was why does it start printing in print
position 2 and not position 1.

"Jimbo" <nobody@spam.com> wrote in message
> I think from the ops question he/she knows that FF means to go to the top
of
> the next page. The question was why does it start printing in print
> position 2 and not position 1.
>
> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> "bfwd" <bforward@texarkanacollege.edu> wrote in message
> > Why is the data following every Form Feed printing in print position 2
> > of the first line on the next form--not print position 1? All other
> > CR-LF combinations do start in print position 1.
> Because FF means go to the top of the next page.
> Jim

Perhaps that printer does not move the carriage back to the starting
position unless explicitly told to. That would be a strange behaviour
though.
Jim

The only thing I can figure is that, while honoring the FF (x'0C'),
the printer treats it as a space in the data also. I've never seen any
other printer behave this way.

If you have 132 characters to print and the max printable line is
13.2", then 1 character is going to wrap around to print position 1 of
the next line. Go configure!