  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:46:58 PM

Have a standard web server /database server in a standard DMZ/Lan
configuration, both in a workgroup - is there a way of referring to a user
on one server from the other to give file read/write permissions eg on
server1 give permissions to server2\user, or on server2 give permissions to
server1\user? and what is the format for that?

Or should I put both servers in a domain?

tia

Peter Marshall

More about : workgroup users

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:10:42 AM

Peter Marshall wrote:

> Have a standard web server /database server in a standard DMZ/Lan
> configuration, both in a workgroup - is there a way of referring to a user
> on one server from the other to give file read/write permissions eg on
> server1 give permissions to server2\user, or on server2 give permissions to
> server1\user? and what is the format for that?
>
> Or should I put both servers in a domain?

There is a simple trick based on Windows authentication mechanism
:) .Create on both servers user accounts with exactly the same user name
and password and configure for them diesired rights.

When the user with username for exampel user1 from will try to access
resources on the server2 he will introduece server2 with his (current
log on) credentials. If on the server2 will be matching user1 account
with the same password user1 will be sucessfully authenticated

But sugested solution is to put the domain into work - this is the best
way to manage security in such environment.

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl