transfer AD to another machine

Hello All,
What is the best way to transfer w win2003 domain controller to another
machine running win 2003 server? Also,
Is ther a way to preseve file and folder permissions and rights, including
share names?
In other words, I would like to upgrade the server (hardware).

TIA,
Altria
1 answer Last reply
More about transfer machine

    Altria wrote:

    > Hello All,
    > What is the best way to transfer w win2003 domain controller to another
    > machine running win 2003 server? Also,
    > Is ther a way to preseve file and folder permissions and rights, including
    > share names?
    > In other words, I would like to upgrade the server (hardware).

    look at this
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2799.htm

    But - If You have old machine and new machine the best way IMO is set up
    this second amchine as additional DC in doman, replicate domain data,
    transfer FSMO roles
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255504

    File permissions You will preserv by coping this files with for example
    xcopy or simple backing up this files on the source and restoring on the
    target machine

    Shares are stored in registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
    so you can backup this key and restroe on new machine
    --
    Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
    T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Servers Microsoft Domain Controller Windows