transfer AD to another machine

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 22, 2004 2:33:06 PM

Hello All,
What is the best way to transfer w win2003 domain controller to another
machine running win 2003 server? Also,
Is ther a way to preseve file and folder permissions and rights, including
share names?
In other words, I would like to upgrade the server (hardware).

TIA,
Altria

More about : transfer machine

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:23:52 AM

Altria wrote:

> Hello All,
> What is the best way to transfer w win2003 domain controller to another
> machine running win 2003 server? Also,
> Is ther a way to preseve file and folder permissions and rights, including
> share names?
> In other words, I would like to upgrade the server (hardware).

look at this
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2799.htm

But - If You have old machine and new machine the best way IMO is set up
this second amchine as additional DC in doman, replicate domain data,
transfer FSMO roles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255504

File permissions You will preserv by coping this files with for example
xcopy or simple backing up this files on the source and restoring on the
target machine

Shares are stored in registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
so you can backup this key and restroe on new machine
--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl