cannot mape a network drive

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm getting an error "Logon failure: The target account name is incorrect." on some workstations (WinXP Pro), when I try to map a network drive on server (Win2K Adv.). It was working fine till today. I don't know what happened.

Tom, this error normally occurs due to a secure channel issue. If several
machines are having problems connecting to the same one machine then it is
most likely the target machine with the problem. You can use the Netdom
utility from the Windows 2000 support tools to correct this.

Reset machine account password and get new Kerberos ticket
1. Stop the Kerberos Key Distribution Center service and set the
startup value to Manual.
2. Use the Netdom tool from the Windows 2000 Support Tools or the
Windows 2003 Support Tools to reset the domain controller's machine
account password: "netdom resetpwd /server:<another DC>
/userd:domain\administrator /passwordd:<administrator password>" Make
sure that the netdom command returns the command completed
successfully. If it does not, the command did not work. For example,
for the domain Contoso, where the affected domain controller is DC1,
and a working domain controller is DC2, you would run the following
Netdom command from the console of DC1: netdom resetpwd /server:DC2
/userd:contoso\administrator /passwordd:<administrator password>
3. Reboot the affected domain controller.
4. Start the Kerberos Key Distribution Center service, and then set the
startup setting back to Automatic.

--
James Brandt [MSFT]