It's Probably Been Asked But I Couldn't Find It

ChrisBond

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Been researching, looking at page after pager, after benchmark after benchmark, and I can't quite seem to decide which card to get. I have this old Dell computer with AGP FX5200 =[ and I want to build a new computer soon but I want it to last a while so the question is the ATI 1800XT or the nVidia 7900GT or maybe even the 1900XT, money isn't the problem. But I would like the best bang for my buck. If you could help me out, it would help a lot.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Your post is confusing me(though it's late)...

Are you looking for a card for your old machine?......or are you building a new one?

If it's a card for your old machine, then you're stuck with AGP(or possible PCI).

Which is it?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Are you saying what's the best card you can get for your new computer or your current one?

In the case of your new computer, there's not too much to choose between the 7900GT/1900XT.

In the case of your current computer, if it's only AGP and you're getting a new one soon anyway I wouldn't bother upgrading, as you'll not be able to use the new card when you get your new system.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Woh, this is too freaky.

I have the FX5200, and I am looking for a new card for my new system, and I have been thinking abt getting either of those cards.

7900GT - Can be overclocked to a GTX and become the most powerfull card on earth, except that it only has 256MB of RAM wich wont bottleneck it but definetly isnt something u buy for a few years. There is a 512MB edition from Gainward, but trying to find that well, maybe ull have more luck where u live.

X1900XT - Too much Shader power, not enough Texture power. The X1900XT is the exact same card as the XTX except that it costs less (never seen anything like this before.. ATI made a card that it's only difference is it's clockspeed, wich is a very little ammount that u cant even notice). So since the 7900GTX and the X1900XTX are almost the same, u basicly get a 7900GTX from this purchase (with 512MB or ram) without even needing to overclock.

I think the X1900XT is the best, just because its such a huge mistake on ATI's side. Now getting the X1900XT would be an easy choice, IF the prices were the same, but from what i can see, there is a 100$ price difference beetween them. So if u can have the GTX for 100$ less that would be cool, but it has only half the memory and u may not be able to overclock it.
So i think ill get the X1900XT, cause it has so much Shader power, that it makes it "future proof" until DX10.