Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you think of the new THG home page?

Last response: in Forum Feedback
Share

What do you think of the new THG home page?

Total: 332 votes (4 blank votes)

  • Scarlett Johansson
  • 10 %
  • Julia Roberts
  • 9 %
  • Katie Couric
  • 18 %
  • Rosie O''Donnell
  • 36 %
  • Phyllis Diller
  • 30 %
February 5, 2007 10:31:05 AM

Personally I think it looks like a shareware web template from an amateur n00b designer who only had Helvetica in the font menu and couldn't figure out how to add another hex color code.

NOTE:

For those who are not familiar with the female sex, here is a clarification of what you're voting for.

If you think that the new THG home page is:

- Stunningly sexy and breathtakingly beautiful, vote Scarlett Johansson

- Nice and easy on the eyes, vote Julia Roberts

- Not too bad looking but has had much better days, vote Katie Couric

- Looks like an overweight Trump-baiting lesbian, vote Rosie O'Donnell

- As attractive as a nude 90 year old, vote Phyllis Diller

More about : thg home page

February 5, 2007 10:41:16 AM

I agree. It looks boring and cheap. I loved the scrolling forumz banner and now its gone. Why would they do that? :( 

It's just too plain.
February 5, 2007 10:42:00 AM

ROFL :lol: 
Related resources
February 5, 2007 10:59:02 AM

Quote:
I loved the scrolling forumz banner and now its gone.


Ditto.
February 5, 2007 10:59:59 AM

Quote:
I loved the scrolling forumz banner and now its gone.


i agree plus the new layout is confusing
February 5, 2007 11:12:43 AM

Quote:
I loved the scrolling forumz banner and now its gone.


Ditto. Some change does mean NO change for a change.
February 5, 2007 11:22:23 AM

THG home page? You mean there is more to this place than just the forumz? I am afraid to look......
February 5, 2007 11:50:32 AM

/me checks eyes

It looks the same to me as it was last week, unless the .co.uk version of the site hasn't been updated yet.

I still can see the scrolling forumz banner thingy :?
February 5, 2007 11:59:25 AM

Quote:
/me checks eyes

It looks the same to me as it was last week, unless the .co.uk version of the site hasn't been updated yet.

I still can see the scrolling forumz banner thingy :?


You're lucky in the UK. Try .com and get ready to scream (as they say in the UK):

Bollocks!
Bugger!
Plonker!
Wanker!
Tosser!

:lol: 
February 5, 2007 12:05:05 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna use the uk version, English is English where ever you go (just slightly different styles of writing), it's the samething as the us version anyway


Beware the creeping slick of bad web design. It's only a matter of time until even .co.uk is in its evil grip! 8O
February 5, 2007 12:10:28 PM

What an awful shock, first thing on a Monday morning.

This stinks. Where is the scrolling formz banner.

New look is too blah, corporate and cheesy. The old home page had some character and style to it. Not like Armani type style, but a nice, unique style all its own. The new home page is bland, banal, and boring.

If THG had looked like this the first time I found it, I probably would have never thought that it was a credible site with knowlegable members.

In short: Pbbbbbfffft.

Bring back the old home page!!! And fire the jackass that was responsible for this.
February 5, 2007 12:15:21 PM

Quote:
What an awful shock, first thing on a Monday morning.

This stinks. Where is the scrolling formz banner.

New look is too blah, corporate and cheesy. The old home page had some character and style to it. Not like Armani type style, but a nice, unique style all its own. The new home page is bland, banal, and boring.

If THG had looked like this the first time I found it, I probably would have never thought that it was a credible site with knowlegable members.

In short: Pbbbbbfffft.

Bring back the old home page!!! And fire the jackass that was responsible for this.


Hear hear!!!

Quote:
We gotta stop that from happening, do you think if enough of us complain to the mods that anything will happen? Because I know a lot of people and same with you guys, so if we all get a bunch of people to pm the mods, do you think it will make a difference? I don't mind the new look as long as they return the forums banner, then I'll be content


I can't condone swamping the poor Mods with PMs as I don't think that's polite nor effective. I think that if we "vote early and vote often" on this poll it might help.

There is one contact I think we can use!

Request Feedback On New THG Look


Just drop me a line with any comments or suggestions to omid@tgpublishing.net.


My suggestion is load up both barrels and let him have it! (Politely and diplomatically).
February 5, 2007 12:29:44 PM

Quote:
I just emailed him, and let him know all the problems we have with it, and I also let him know that there are threads complaining about it (did not give link, that would mean hell for us :evil:  ). But I think if we do swamp him with emails, that may make a difference just to get us off his back


Well, Omid asked for feedback, so give it to him. And get your friends to do the same. Maybe they'll get the message!
February 5, 2007 12:30:08 PM

Omid has been emailed. Just sent him a short note asking that he look at this thread, included a part of my previous post - the part about the design being a turn-off - noted some very quick responses agreeing with that, suggested that he bring back the old design.

Was going to suggest, seriously, that if he wants a new site design, he might consider either letting DaClan do it (I gotta post a thank you to DaSickNinja for that really great review of TIMs), or maybe have a contest among the members. But I thought it best to let public opinion soften him up first, then serve up some suggestions later.
February 5, 2007 12:32:42 PM

Quote:
Omid has been emailed. Just sent him a short note asking that he look at this thread, included a part of my previous post - the part about the design being a turn-off - noted some very quick responses agreeing with that, suggested that he bring back the old design.

Was going to suggest, seriously, that if he wants a new site design, he might consider either letting DaClan do it (I gotta post a thank you to DaSickNinja for that really great review of TIMs), or maybe have a contest among the members. But I thought it best to let public opinion soften him up first, then serve up some suggestions later.


Hey, I love the idea of a contest. Now that sounds like fun! I'd submit a template! All AJAX with buttons that when you mouseover turn into small Flash pr0n scenes! YEAH! That's the way to build traffic! I love it!!!! Let's do it!!!! :twisted:
February 5, 2007 12:41:08 PM

Quote:
But we gotta make sure to stay within our limits, I don't want to get banned for this


Oh, ok. I'll change that to:

All AJAX with buttons that when you mouseover turn into small Flash classic Disney scenes! :twisted:

Actually, I'm stickin' with my statement that emails should be polite and diplomatic. After all, he asked for feedback. That's what he should receive! :D 
February 5, 2007 12:45:01 PM

Quote:
You should change the poll to do you like the new look or not, because that will give omid a better idea of what people think, rather than famous people


I dunno if I can change the options once people have voted. I'll just go into the first post and clarify it.
February 5, 2007 12:52:01 PM

Typing in the .com still redirects to the UK version for me. Someone will need to post a screeny so I can be equally outraged too :twisted: :D 
February 5, 2007 12:53:10 PM

There is a lot in what Taco mentioned about Omid being Iranian, or possibly Iraqi. If we would like him to consider our opinions and either change back to the old website permanently or just temporarily while DaClan or the THG members design a new one, we have to be considerate of how he views things.

We all ought to thank Omid for providing such a great site to begin with. He does deserve our thanks for it. After all we all do love it. All we would like to do is convince him to make it look less bland again.

He meant well with the new design, and obviously approved it. Geez, now I wish I had been a bit more gentle in my email. In any event, he is just trying to make it better for all of us, and we need to take that into consideration when we email him or post. Even if it looks corporate and bland, it is still one of the best sites out there, and has some very experienced and knowlegable members. But, if it looks too bland, probably won't attract as many new members as it would if it looks like it has a personality.

Designing the site to maximize the appeal will probably be a very difficult task: If it looks too much like a gamer site, then it will turn off the corporate types or non-gamers. And, we can all see what too bland and corporate a look will do (and, btw, I'm not a gamer, and the new site is too bland for me). It will be a tough balancing act to appeal to both, but it is probably possible with enough determination and effort.
February 5, 2007 12:55:49 PM

I miss the scrolling forum.....
This sucks. :evil: 
February 5, 2007 12:57:05 PM

This change is enough to get me to make my first post. I feel the design seems to be a bit sterile. I especially miss the scrolling forum update list. Even though I'm not a poster, it is nice to be able to take a quick look at whats being currently discussed.
February 5, 2007 12:58:08 PM

Monday morning and Tomshardware got smacked with the ugly stick.....

The old layout was much better.
Scrolling forum topics
Lack of color.
Scrolling forum topics
Graphics for the charts or anything else for that matter.
Scrolling forum topics.
Articles by category instead of thrown together sequentially.
And last but not least the scrolling forum topics


This is terrible whoever designed this should have their desk cleaned out and shown the door immediately. Anyone with common sense could have done a better layout than this unless the main objective was to upset the readers to the point they go elsewhere.
February 5, 2007 12:58:36 PM

Quote:
There is a lot in what Taco mentioned about Omid being Iranian, or possibly Iraqi. If we would like him to consider our opinions and either change back to the old website permanently or just temporarily while DaClan or the THG members design a new one, we have to be considerate of how he views things.

We all ought to thank Omid for providing such a great site to begin with. He does deserve our thanks for it. After all we all do love it. All we would like to do is convince him to make it look less bland again.

He meant well with the new design, and obviously approved it. Geez, now I wish I had been a bit more gentle in my email. In any event, he is just trying to make it better for all of us, and we need to take that into consideration when we email him or post. Even if it looks corporate and bland, it is still one of the best sites out there, and has some very experienced and knowlegable members. But, if it looks too bland, probably won't attract as many new members as it would if it looks like it has a personality.

Designing the site to maximize the appeal will probably be a very difficult task: If it looks too much like a gamer site, then it will turn off the corporate types or non-gamers. And, we can all see what too bland and corporate a look will do (and, btw, I'm not a gamer, and the new site is too bland for me). It will be a tough balancing act to appeal to both, but it is probably possible with enough determination and effort.

(o_O)? I'm not affiliated with the THG.
February 5, 2007 12:59:12 PM

@I Love Tacos

I just edited the first post to clarify what is what. No need to start another thread as I haven't changed the banner.

@McPhisto

Here ya go.



@N7SC

I completely agree that Omid should be dealt with respect and understanding. It is our opinion vs. his, anyway and civilized debate is the only way to truly resolve issues.

@MrsBytch

The scrolling forum was fun. I miss it too!
February 5, 2007 1:01:49 PM

@ Everyone!

I'm late to perform a few nefarious chores... but such is the normal day of Capt. April. So I'm gonna take off for a while, but PLEASE keep up the pressure, keep up the voting and keep up the POLITE, DIPLOMATIC, FACTUAL and PROPER emailing!
February 5, 2007 1:10:43 PM

I personally couldn't care less. I say leave it the way it is because after a day of moaning, we'll all be used to it. I took me all of .50 secs to find the Forumz tab this morning and that is with my slowed reaction time. The layout looks nice, and I knew they'd be doing this for a while, especially when they switched up the look of the Networking and Twitch Guru.
February 5, 2007 1:10:59 PM

The bit about seeing if DaClan would do it was because I've looked at some of your work in testing, etc. and it is impressive and very useful. Thought you would do a great job. Was just a thought.

Now off to feed/walk the three Great Danes and attend to all the dumb stuff that 51 year olds have to do. Will check in later in the day on this.
February 5, 2007 1:16:01 PM

I like the new design, but I do agree with Robert that it does look like a template from a free site.
February 5, 2007 1:16:28 PM

They need to learn the old saying:

'If its not broke - don't fix it'....

Well it is certainy broke now.... Pretty Ugly imo.... I don't see alot of new 1st timers to the site being wow'd and comming back.... It will be like our own private club now, for they people that were here before the change....
February 5, 2007 1:26:15 PM

Quote:
What an awful shock, first thing on a Monday morning.


Here here! I agree totally!

Quote:
This stinks.


See above.

Quote:
New look is too blah,


Agreed.

Quote:
corporate


Huh? No self respecting corporate entity would use a public access template.

Quote:
and cheesy.


Agreed.

Quote:
The new home page is bland, banal, and boring.


What? Have you been reading my mind this morning? Wait a minute while I go cover my cranium with aluminum foil!

Quote:
And fire the jackass that was responsible for this.


I have to agree with that. Whoever was responsible for this has no design sense and is obviously too lazy to come up with their own unique design. I mean come on, my 10 year old has a nicer looking website than that.
February 5, 2007 1:29:09 PM

yep... the scrolling forums was great...

And the whole page seem "too white" and not really "cool" :p 
February 5, 2007 1:31:14 PM

A little too plain jane.

I Like the organization a lot better.

Need the forum ticker back.
Need some more images and icons like those for the "Latest Charts" for the old site.

(only joking) Intel blue bias??? :lol:  :p 

Perhaps back to the black/red/orange/yellow color scheme of the old site could put the substance back into the page.
February 5, 2007 1:33:09 PM

Great video for a monday morn. Thanks, Taco.
Definitely going to miss the scrolling forum thing too...the site looks like an Alberta oilsands tailing pond now- slick and devoid of life. I feel like I should be wearing a tie and a starchy shirt just to look at it, and it is definitely a briefs kinda look, whereas I'm a boxers kinda guy.
February 5, 2007 1:33:22 PM

Man does that look like ass!

I'm probably not going to visit it anymore
February 5, 2007 1:55:43 PM

I agree, the site looks empty! The colors and the overall image make it just cold and not user friendly. Where are all the images? Not even the basic thumbs in the charts buttons!
Modern sites are supposed to use flash and cool animations! They just downgraded it.
I really don't like it! :evil: 
February 5, 2007 2:05:25 PM

My two cents... I miss the forum ticker, just like everyone else. I think the top 6 articles section should go back to having a picture for each headline rather than a shared space that rotates through the different pictures. It's less eye-catching this way. I'm still looking for the charts but that could be because I'm a little slow this morning. EDIT: found the charts.

Other random objections are mostly about people's natural resistance to change. I wish the new functions could just have been integrated into the old site format, as it was just fine. However, I wonder how many objections people would raise if the transition were the other way... if TH's site had switched from what it is now to what it used to be.

My suggestion: put it back the way it was. Withhold payments to your web developer until the situation is fixed.
February 5, 2007 2:11:37 PM

No no no no. I don't like it at all. I already got used to it but the look is sad. I always prefered anandtech but now there is no comparison! I thank god they didn't change the forumz section too! What a nightmare! 8O 8O
February 5, 2007 2:37:35 PM

I fear change! Make it go back...
February 5, 2007 3:59:02 PM

Cap'n Robert, thanks for the screeny.

I don't think it looks that bad although I do agree it is a bit basic looking :) 
February 5, 2007 4:02:13 PM

Give us back the forum ticker!
February 5, 2007 4:05:34 PM

Damn you THG....

I am lazy and use the forums ticket to see whats new in here.....

to the uk site for me i guess
February 5, 2007 4:06:47 PM

Quote:
Give us back the forum ticker!


You know, the more I think about it, the more I want to second, third, and fourth this point. I would have never started reading, let alone posting, on the TH forums if it were't for the forum ticker. I've learned as much or more from the forums as I have from any review article. Now that I know the forums are here, the lack of ticker is an annoyance. I think we'll all miss out, though, as fewer new members will find the forums and bother to post ideas of their own.
February 5, 2007 4:25:43 PM

Change is bad.
February 5, 2007 4:29:58 PM

Quote:
I agree. It looks boring and cheap. I loved the scrolling forumz banner and now its gone. Why would they do that? :( 

It's just too plain.



Same here.
February 5, 2007 4:31:15 PM

CHANGE BACK!!!
February 5, 2007 4:56:05 PM

Quote:
Damn you THG....

I am lazy and use the forums ticket to see whats new in here.....

to the uk site for me i guess


same...
February 5, 2007 5:10:31 PM

Goddammit Tacos, your post count jumped about 500 over the weekend. How about dem Colts? Anyone else think it was the crappyest SB ever?
-cm
February 5, 2007 5:13:43 PM

I still miss the look they had before the one they just changed :D 

You remember? the way it was in 1998?
February 5, 2007 5:33:53 PM

The THG "facelift" really does look a lot like it's from 1998. Where did all of the pictures go? I liked having a nice thumbnail picture to click on with the articles. Where is the forums scrolling banner? It was just about the most useful thing on the whole site, and now its just gone. I already sent in my email to THG, hopefully they fix it.
!