Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 to XP and back again

Last response: in Windows 7
May 9, 2011 12:43:38 PM

I find myself in a pretty unique position. I recently built a new computer and loaded Windows 7-64bit on it from a copy of Windows I got through the student program. Come to find out, it's an upgrade only version. Anger aside, the key I have will not work for a clean install. Instead, Microsoft has told me I have to install XP-32bit (which is the version I had on my old computer so I have a copy) and then upgrade to Windows 7 from there.

My question/problem is, other than backing up my files, should I be aware of any other problems with this? Essentially replacing my OS 3 times, should I reformat my hard drive first and then perform the install, or am I ok to just boot from CD and go from there? I also don't know how going from 32-bit to 64 bit is going to work out, anyone have some experience with this?

Many thanks

More about : windows back

Best solution

a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 9, 2011 2:50:10 PM

There is no upgrade option from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice-versa. You will need to do a clean install of Win7 x64. Of course, like you said, this is an upgrade version so you may be stuck.

There are some ways listed on the internet for doing a clean install with an upgrade disk. This may work for you.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-ins...
May 9, 2011 2:57:28 PM

Well, that is, as I told the tech support when I called, NOT COOL MICROSOFT.

Well, at least I have somewhat of a plan. But with trying to wipeout multiple installations of Windows, am I better off doing a reformat or do I trust it to overwrite in a clean fashion?
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 9, 2011 3:10:01 PM

Do a "custom install". At some point during the procedure, you will be given the option to create/delete partitons and format. Just delete all partitions and recreate them. There is no need to format at that point, because once you choose a partition to install to, the installation process will quick format the partition before installing.
m
l
May 10, 2011 11:50:45 AM

Ok update, so if anyone comes across this in the future you can hopefully work it out. I chose to do a double install of Windows 7 (as suggested in the article linked) If you have applied all service updates, the double install failed for me. So I instead did a clean install followed immediately by the new install. This worked for me and activated just fine.
m
l
May 10, 2011 11:51:01 AM

Best answer selected by wolfeman42.
m
l
!