Windows 2000 Server randomly reboots

We have Windows 2000 Advanced Server intalled on an HP
Proliant ML300 G3 series server purchased in October 2003
and have been having intermittent reboots since January
2004. Since they were so random and only occuring at
night when no is on the system, it wasn't a problem back
then. During March and April we had maybe 1 reboot a
month. However, in May and June we began to have more
random reboots many times a day and night. I was running
an up-to-date version of Norton's Corporate Anti-virus
solution on the server, but have since removed the
software to eliminate that as one of the issues. This
week, I have updated the BIOS, updated HP drivers using
HP's driver support pak downloaded from their website, and
updated to Windows Service Pack 4, removed memory modules
one at a time to make sure that one of the sticks
installed was not the issue, and now have disabled
Automatic Server Recovery. I have also run Stinger.exe on
the system to make sure there was no recent viruses that
could be affecting it. We currently do not have a
firewall enabled on this system. And we are still having
intermittent reboots - for example, in the last 10 hours
it has rebooted 10 times all at varying intervals.

The event viewer provides me with the following message:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck - The bugcheck
was: 0x0000007f (ox00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,
0x0000000) Microsoft Windows 2000 [v.15.2195]. I have had
a few other bugchecks but this one seems to be the most
popular.

I just read that this could indicate bad RAM or a bad
motherboard. Has anyone else had this type of problem or
can anyone else think of something I have missed in trying
to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Michele

Hi,
Before actually looking at the Memory Dump we cannot say that it is
caused due to anything
However my pervious tells me that we get this blue screen error error
0x0000007f when a there is a kernel mode exception
which could be caused by any Antivirus , Backup software

I would suggest you to call Microsoft windows server 2000 setup department
to analyse the dump get the root cause of the issue

Abhijeet Nigam

Michele wrote:

> We have Windows 2000 Advanced Server intalled on an HP
> Proliant ML300 G3 series server purchased in October 2003

THis is a P Seerver so any information in integrated management logs ?

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Integrated Management Logs:

Blue Screen Trap (Bugcheck, STOP: 0x0000007F, (0x00000008,
0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Blue Screen Trap (Bugcheck, STOP: 0x0000000A,
(0x00000007, 0x0000001C, 0x00000000, 0x8042B839).

One of the latest event viewer logs from this morning:
The bugcheck was 0x0000000a (0xf7bdec28, 0x0000001c,
0x0000000, 0x8042c354).

I looked up the first bugcheck and a Microsoft article
says it could be processor, motherboard, bad memory.

Thanks for your help,

Michele

Michele wrote:

> I looked up the first bugcheck and a Microsoft article
> says it could be processor, motherboard, bad memory.
all these stop errors are connected with device drivers or bad hardware
so I will storngly recommend to test mmemory for errors with some test
uility or if this server is still in guaranteee period contact with Youd
hardware supplier and get replacement for memory, processor - mbe only
for a test but ...

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

I just reviewed my Integrated Management Log from Sept/Oct
2003 until today and counted up the bugchecks we've had
since -

Jan=3 (at night or early morning on system)*
Feb=7 (varying times night and day)
March=1 (during afternoon)
April=1 (in morning)
May=4 (varying times night and day)
June=60 (occuring frequently during day and night)

* No one uses the system usually from 5 PM until 8 AM. We
have Veritas backup during 6-8 PM, but the reboots were
happening hours prior or later than during this time
period. Therefore, I don't think it has anything to do
with backup software.

I have a motherboard and perhaps a processor on the way
from HP. I just hope it fixes the issue...I'll respond if
it does, maybe it will help someone else resolve their
issue in the future.

Thanks for your help,

Michele

Are you up-to-date on your security patches.. sounds like
the sasser exploit.

An HP technician installed another processor and
motherboard in our Proliant ML330 Server last Friday, June
25, 2004. The server has been operational with NO reboots
since that time.

However, now the event viewer is logging a server error
2012, source: SRV every night - looking this error up on
www.eventid.net, it may point to a faulty network
interface card. The NIC is integrated on the motherboard
and prior to installation of this "new" component, this
was not a problem in the event viewer. Who knows, we may
end up having this motherboard replaced in the future as
well.

I had this problem with a W2K server for about two years. The Hardware
supplier changed just about every bit of hardware in the box. It ended up
being the power cables. This cable was used to run both the server and the
tape backup unit through a UPS. I just about went crazy. The problem only
happened at night initially and intermittent but usually managed to screw up
the backups when it happened. Eventually it got so bad that it was
rebooting the server during the day. Being a Exchange server this upset
users when their email died.

I put up with this for two years until I ran into one of those old fashion
techo types that had been working on hardware for years and years and he
said that this was a common problem that he had seen many times before. I
have not had the problem since I put new power leads on the server and
backup unit.

I also did just about everything you have done. This included uninstalling
anti-virus (during the time frame of uninstalling and reinstalling the
anitvirus software the server got the NIMDA virus - I then had to rebuild
the server). The rebooting eventually also corrupted the Arcserve Backup
database (this took three days to recover)

I would suggest changing the power cables. I did not believe it could be
such a simple solution but the server has not rebooted on its own since the
day I change the power cables.

Fiona