iPAQ 5555 Hardware woes

December 16, 2004 8:39:59 PM

I am attempting to get TomTom 3 to see the Pharos i180 serial GPS attached
to the bottom of my iPAQ 5555. I have tried COM0:, COM1:, and COM3: (I think
the bottom is COM1:)  with no luck. I suspect a hardware problem as my iPAQ
has been dropped a couple of times, Two other things that make me think
hardware are that the fingerprint scanner no longer works and I got a
connected to 115200 Default - Connecting to Host - Cancel/Hide window pops
up on power on. It is rechargeable via this port. A list of questions:

1. Am I right in assuming a hardware problem (or a possible COM conflict)?

2. Is this something I can fix (pop the case and reseat or what)?

3. If it needs to go to a service center, is there a cheaper (but reliable)
alternative than to HP (which can be expensive)

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Jim
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:47:05 PM

Try PDASmart.com

"Jim Trotter" wrote:

> I am attempting to get TomTom 3 to see the Pharos i180 serial GPS attached
> to the bottom of my iPAQ 5555. I have tried COM0:, COM1:, and COM3: (I think
> the bottom is COM1:)  with no luck. I suspect a hardware problem as my iPAQ
> has been dropped a couple of times, Two other things that make me think
> hardware are that the fingerprint scanner no longer works and I got a
> connected to 115200 Default - Connecting to Host - Cancel/Hide window pops
> up on power on. It is rechargeable via this port. A list of questions:
>
> 1. Am I right in assuming a hardware problem (or a possible COM conflict)?
>
> 2. Is this something I can fix (pop the case and reseat or what)?
>
> 3. If it needs to go to a service center, is there a cheaper (but reliable)
> alternative than to HP (which can be expensive)
>
> Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Jim

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:33:49 PM

Thank you Phil, I called them up and told them my symptoms and they told me
what part I needed. I should get it next week.

Jim

!