Can't visit any web site

October 8, 2004 5:52:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Whenever I click on a link in Internet explorer or type the address of a web
site , this message pops up :
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
Then "The page cannot be displayed" page appears. I cannot event use some of
my local .htm files and the same problem hampers me all the time. Haven't
visited event one web page yet!
--------
System info:
Win XP 5.1 SP2_beta1.0311215
Internet Explorer: SP2 , Version 6.0.2900.2055
---------

Any help is greatly appreciated

More about : visit web site

October 8, 2004 5:52:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi. This problem could be from your firewall, whether it's windows' firewall
or a third party. Go to IE>Tools>Internet Optins>Security and change your
security settings for internet. Hope to fix your problem.

"h.z" wrote:

> Whenever I click on a link in Internet explorer or type the address of a web
> site , this message pops up :
> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
> Then "The page cannot be displayed" page appears. I cannot event use some of
> my local .htm files and the same problem hampers me all the time. Haven't
> visited event one web page yet!
> --------
> System info:
> Win XP 5.1 SP2_beta1.0311215
> Internet Explorer: SP2 , Version 6.0.2900.2055
> ---------
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:53:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sorry...changed the secutiy setting to low....didn't help....disabled
firewall didn't help!

"Whisper" <Whisper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. This problem could be from your firewall, whether it's windows'
> firewall
> or a third party. Go to IE>Tools>Internet Optins>Security and change your
> security settings for internet. Hope to fix your problem.
>
> "h.z" wrote:
>
>> Whenever I click on a link in Internet explorer or type the address of a
>> web
>> site , this message pops up :
>> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
>> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
>> Then "The page cannot be displayed" page appears. I cannot event use some
>> of
>> my local .htm files and the same problem hampers me all the time. Haven't
>> visited event one web page yet!
>> --------
>> System info:
>> Win XP 5.1 SP2_beta1.0311215
>> Internet Explorer: SP2 , Version 6.0.2900.2055
>> ---------
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated

Related resources
October 8, 2004 7:53:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Take the Measure and Boost Performance test on this web site and it will
require you to install Active X before you can take their test:

http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtools/index/0,00.asp

It's not a "security setting" but an install ... this test will also tell
you of other any problems your computer may be having.

Alias

"h.z" <hmd//\\z105~@~hotmail.~com> wrote

> Sorry...changed the secutiy setting to low....didn't help....disabled
> firewall didn't help!
>
> "Whisper" <Whisper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> Hi. This problem could be from your firewall, whether it's windows'
>> firewall
>> or a third party. Go to IE>Tools>Internet Optins>Security and change your
>> security settings for internet. Hope to fix your problem.
>>
>> "h.z" wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I click on a link in Internet explorer or type the address of a
>>> web
>>> site , this message pops up :
>>> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
>>> this
>>> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
>>> Then "The page cannot be displayed" page appears. I cannot event use
>>> some of
>>> my local .htm files and the same problem hampers me all the time.
>>> Haven't
>>> visited event one web page yet!
>>> --------
>>> System info:
>>> Win XP 5.1 SP2_beta1.0311215
>>> Internet Explorer: SP2 , Version 6.0.2900.2055
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> Any help is greatly appreciated

October 8, 2004 7:53:15 PM

Alias wrote:

> Take the Measure and Boost Performance test on this web site and it
> will require you to install Active X before you can take their test:
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtools/index/0,00.asp
>
> It's not a "security setting" but an install ... this test will also
> tell you of other any problems your computer may be having.

Since he can't get on line, he's not going to be able to do this. To the
OP: how are you accessing the Internet? Dialup? Ethernet connected to
cable or dsl modem? Try reinstalling the drivers for the appropriate
device - modem or network card. Also let us know what ISP you use.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

I use dial up....Now after doing some dll registeing ( using cmd) i can
better deal with it. Google is available, but flash web sites are not ( the
same message appears ) ( I have flah player 7 installed)....
"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> Alias wrote:
>
>> Take the Measure and Boost Performance test on this web site and it
>> will require you to install Active X before you can take their test:
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/pcwtools/index/0,00.asp
>>
>> It's not a "security setting" but an install ... this test will also
>> tell you of other any problems your computer may be having.
>>
> Since he can't get on line, he's not going to be able to do this. To the
> OP: how are you accessing the Internet? Dialup? Ethernet connected to
> cable or dsl modem? Try reinstalling the drivers for the appropriate
> device - modem or network card. Also let us know what ISP you use.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:28:18 AM

"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote
| To the
| OP: how are you accessing the Internet? Dialup? Ethernet connected to
| cable or dsl modem? Try reinstalling the drivers for the appropriate
| device - modem or network card. Also let us know what ISP you use.
|
| Malke
| --
| MS MVP - Windows Shell/User

Perhaps the OP should upgrade from Win XP 5.1 SP2_beta1.0311215
!