access denied

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.wan (More info?)

I have four computers on a network using xp. The computers run through a
router (one wireless - the rest hardwired). All firewalls are off. Three of
the computers can share files, however one cannot. When I check to see
computers on the mshome workgroup they all show, but when I click the one
computer (which is the one that does not share) from any of the three
computers that can share files I receive an access denied - see
administrator
message. All files (on the computer that will not share) are set to allow
sharing on the network. When viewing the network places page form the
machine
that will not allow access I can see all the computers (including the one
that will not share).
I have tried the network wizard, set up home or small office network, use
simple file sharing in the view section under folder options, and the
Microsoft help pages etc. but no
luck. At one time all the machines were networked and shared. I have checked
settings etc.
There is obviously a setting (probably right in front of me!) on the one
computer that is disallowing access.
Any suggestions?

Thank you
cao911
Canada

The-Pizzaboy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I have a similar problem with my laptop (wireless) and desktop (wired).

I can share and see other shared files using my desktop, but I can only see all the shared files, but not share files with my laptop.

But I think that it has something to do with the 'clash' between wired and wireless. You could try to wire all your 4 PC's, and see if it solves the problem, but I can't guarantee that it will work.

But I will post again in this Topic if I finally find out what can cause the problem. 8)

Nlaenu

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
If access denied the message you get, then its not a network problem, but a security problem.
So check the permissions and the security of the shared map.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
But I think that it has something to do with the 'clash' between wired and wireless.

That's nonsense, each computer has no idea what type of media the other is using to connect to the network. It's definitely a software issue, unfortunately I don't have any advice.

Torvex

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I hope this helps you, as it helped me out with the same problem you have. It took awhile, but I did some comparing with a machine where I could gain network access I found the following and made one change under security options, and have found no one else on the net that has done this and it worked great. It is a bit of a journy to get there but here it is.

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Local Security Policy
+ Local Policies
+ Security Options

Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM account, and shares. (Enabled) - It Should Be Disabled.

:D

1mikec

Thank you Torvex!!

Your souution worked!
You solved a problem I've been working on for a long time.

The solution was:
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Local Security Policy
+ Local Policies
+ Security Options
Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM account, and shares. (Enabled) - It Should Be Disabled.

THANKS,
1Mikec

WindyShaffer

My network has a XP home desktop (wired) and Vista Laptop (wireless), Laptop always accessed desktop, desktop was hit or miss for getting to the laptop. Certain very useful tools (right click picture batch resize only on XP, not Vista...) Finally after months of running around, I turned off both firewalls, then the Laptop's window's explorer directories had a right click "share" option. Set sharing to the way I want it for EACH sub directory (downloads, games etc...) and fianlly the desktop "sees" all the laptop's folders and can access them. Now I'll turn the firewalls back on. No end of setting the Vista laptop folders to share wth right click/properties/share/advanced options helped until I turned the firewalls off, then right click had a "share" in the middle, not just the properties/share....

William Bondi

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Even I am looking for a good solution for the same problem, however, was not able to do the same. In fact, I have tried a couple of option but every time I was on the ground flat. I am sure someone would help me and you in this forum with any tangible kind of solution this time. Hope to get the best help soon. Best of luck to you and me as well .. You ll find more information on http://www.truetime-applications.com

drags345

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
WAIT... you haven't given me enough information about your problem!

Maybe if you just tell me all about your system, I might be able to drag this useless need for banter, even further