Include drivers in RIS server

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

How can I include nic drivers in existing RIS-installtion?

G

hi annicka,

i'm trying to do the exact same thing but with little success. however, i am told that ms have written a white paper on the subject but, as yet, i haven't been able to find it.

please let me know how you get on & i will do the same.
regards
roly
rolstonholas@hotmail.com

"Annicka" wrote:

> How can I include nic drivers in existing RIS-installtion?
>

G

hi annicka,

i am after exactly the same thing. i hear tell that ms have published a white paper on the subject but, as yet, i have had no success in finding it.

let me know how you get on & i will do the same.

regards
roly
rolstonholas@hotmail.com

"Annicka" wrote:

>

G

hi annicka,

i done a little more searching & i have a couple articles that may be of some use, please see the urls below. i'm gonna try the suggestions tonight & i'll let you know how i get on. fingers crossed!

regards
roly
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html &
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;254078

"Annicka" wrote:

>

G

Drivers are a pain, hope this helps (from memory)

In the CD image folder (not the actual image folder you select during the image download):
create $OEM$/Drivers/NIC - from here you can be as specific as you want such as:
$OEM$/Drivers/NIC/IntelPro1000VM
$OEM/Drivers/NIC/Vendormodelnumber...

I believe Microsoft recommends $OEM$\Drivers\$1\ or something similiar. Either way will work so you have something like this:
Image folder name\$OEM$\...... (not "in" the I386 folder)

Copy the 3 files you need, I believe it's: .inf .cat and .sys- NOTE: you may have to try different files, it may not work the 1st time. Check the manufacturer website for model and RIS specific drivers. Sometimes you have to use 2000 drivers for an XP image. It is trial and error at this point.

Also you have to copy the files into the I386 folder of the CD image. Sometimes a file with the same name will already exist. Try them both (don't forget the $OEM$ folder and the file that is there may conflict) copy or rename before you delete or overwrite.

One last thing that will not have to be tested is the path. In your answer file, you must put the path. I'm almost positive we do this in both images (the CD image and all of the images you select from the RIS menu on download).

Good luck!

"Annicka" wrote:

>

G

Hi RonB,

Thank you so much for your input. I found an article at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;246184

which seems to go through the process quite thoroughly, so I'll have a go on my test network tonight.

Thanks once again
Roly
P.S. What job do you do & do you have much opportunity to use this technology?
rolstonholas@hotmail.com

"RonB" wrote:

> Drivers are a pain, hope this helps (from memory)
>
> In the CD image folder (not the actual image folder you select during the image download):
> create $OEM$/Drivers/NIC - from here you can be as specific as you want such as:
> $OEM$/Drivers/NIC/IntelPro1000VM
> $OEM/Drivers/NIC/Vendormodelnumber...
>
> I believe Microsoft recommends $OEM$\Drivers\$1\ or something similiar. Either way will work so you have something like this:
> Image folder name\$OEM$\...... (not "in" the I386 folder)
>
> Copy the 3 files you need, I believe it's: .inf .cat and .sys- NOTE: you may have to try different files, it may not work the 1st time. Check the manufacturer website for model and RIS specific drivers. Sometimes you have to use 2000 drivers for an XP image. It is trial and error at this point.
>
> Also you have to copy the files into the I386 folder of the CD image. Sometimes a file with the same name will already exist. Try them both (don't forget the $OEM$ folder and the file that is there may conflict) copy or rename before you delete or overwrite.
>
> One last thing that will not have to be tested is the path. In your answer file, you must put the path. I'm almost positive we do this in both images (the CD image and all of the images you select from the RIS menu on download).
>
> Good luck!
>
> "Annicka" wrote:
>
> > How can I include nic drivers in existing RIS-installtion?
> >

G

Copy all network card driver files such as .INF, .PNF .SYS to the i386
directory. Also copy the .INF to the $oem$\$$\INF directory.

In addtion, copy all the files to a directory psecified in the PNPDrivers
line within your unattended answer file.

"Annicka" wrote:

>