Can someone please help as I've run out of ideas! I have
a blue panel permanently displayed down the left side of
my desktop which covers my wallpaper. It's a standard XP
display with headers 'Folder Tasks','Other
Places'& 'Details', all of which have drop down menus. My
chosen icons are displyed vertically adjacent to this
panel,& I cannot click & drag them anywhere (I originally
had them along the length of the screen.

This is probably a simple issue to resolve but nobody I
have asked has a clue!! Would greatly appreciate some
advice...

Cheers
Neil

Do you have the toolbar locked, by chance?

Right click on the Start Bar - in an empty space on the bar>See if there is
a checkmark beside "Lock The Taskbar" - if there is, click on it to remove
it. Try to move the item again....Let us know.

"Neil Stickland" <neilstickland@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can someone please help as I've run out of ideas! I have
> a blue panel permanently displayed down the left side of
> my desktop which covers my wallpaper. It's a standard XP
> display with headers 'Folder Tasks','Other
> Places'& 'Details', all of which have drop down menus. My
> chosen icons are displyed vertically adjacent to this
> panel,& I cannot click & drag them anywhere (I originally
> had them along the length of the screen.
>
> This is probably a simple issue to resolve but nobody I
> have asked has a clue!! Would greatly appreciate some
> advice...
>
> Cheers
> Neil

Do you have the toolbar locked, by chance?

Right click on the Start Bar - in an empty space on the bar>See if there is
a checkmark beside "Lock The Taskbar" - if there is, click on it to remove
it. Try to move the item again....Let us know.

"Neil Stickland" <neilstickland@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can someone please help as I've run out of ideas! I have
> a blue panel permanently displayed down the left side of
> my desktop which covers my wallpaper. It's a standard XP
> display with headers 'Folder Tasks','Other
> Places'& 'Details', all of which have drop down menus. My
> chosen icons are displyed vertically adjacent to this
> panel,& I cannot click & drag them anywhere (I originally
> had them along the length of the screen.
>
> This is probably a simple issue to resolve but nobody I
> have asked has a clue!! Would greatly appreciate some
> advice...
>
> Cheers
> Neil

Possibly due to a correct Registry setting which causes the Common Tasks pane appears
on the WinXP Desktop.

Try Doug Knox's registry tweak
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm
Tweaks and Fixes

"Neil Stickland" <neilstickland@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can someone please help as I've run out of ideas! I have
> a blue panel permanently displayed down the left side of
> my desktop which covers my wallpaper. It's a standard XP
> display with headers 'Folder Tasks','Other
> Places'& 'Details', all of which have drop down menus. My
> chosen icons are displyed vertically adjacent to this
> panel,& I cannot click & drag them anywhere (I originally
> had them along the length of the screen.
>
> This is probably a simple issue to resolve but nobody I
> have asked has a clue!! Would greatly appreciate some
> advice...
>
> Cheers
> Neil

Many thanks, problem solved!!