Can't decide on DDR2-800 memory for C2D E6600

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I am having trouble deciding on what memory to go with for my new C2D system and any help would be appreciated. There are so many damn types with tiny differences its hard to choose. Essentially, I am looking for the best price/performance in the 180-250 $ range. The system will be used for gaming with only slight overclock (I plan to overclock the E6600 to 2.6 or 2.8) but also have no experience in overclocking memory.

here is the type I currently have in my wish list:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227089

Thanks for any help

p.s. the MB i chose is the Asus P5W DH Deluxe along with the HIS ICEQ3 X1900XT

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I'm also building a system with the p5w dh deluxe but with a e6400 :( . However, personally, I'm looking towards the Gold edition of the same thing your getting considering it's designed for gamers while platinum is designed for extreme enthusiasts and serious overclockers. I was told that my Gold ocz would let me overclock to above 3.0ghz so I don't see a reason to get the platinum edition.

Edit: I've also heard good things about the XMS Corsair memory but my local dealer doesn't sell it unfortunately :(

I am having trouble deciding on what memory to go with for my new C2D system and any help would be appreciated. There are so many damn types with tiny differences its hard to choose. Essentially, I am looking for the best price/performance in the 180-250 $ range. The system will be used for gaming with only slight overclock (I plan to overclock the E6600 to 2.6 or 2.8) but also have no experience in overclocking memory.

here is the type I currently have in my wish list:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820227089

Thanks for any help

p.s. the MB i chose is the Asus P5W DH Deluxe along with the HIS ICEQ3 X1900XT

I can tell you DDR2 PC6400 800 mhz. has a transfer rate of 6.4 gb. per cycle. PC5300 667 mhz. has a transfer rate of 5.3 gb. per cycle. PC6400 has a higher transfer/performance rate than PC5300.

Same for PC3200 = 3.2 gb. transfer rate. PC4000 = 4.0 gb transfer rate. PC4000 DDR has a faster transfer rate tha PC3200. Of course, PC2700 transfers at 2.7 gb. per cycle which is slower than PC3200.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Badge, as simple as that is you are the first one that has explained it that elegantly. I thought they were just numbers for some obscure standard out there somewhere. Memory and timing makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks

second_derivative

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
what badge lists is just the direct relationship between frequency and data transfer rate, which can be calculated as follows:
(memory frequency) * (data bus width) = data transfer rate

for DDR-400: 400MHz * 64-bit data bus * 1bit/8bytes = 3200MB/s

however, this is not the entire story. first of all this is theoretical throughput, but in reality there are delays present so the actual data rate is probably less. these delays come from latencies inherent to the chips operation:

MEMORY ACCESS:
1. tRCD (RAS to CAS Delay) 2-3 cycles, The row is selected by the Memory Controller.
2. CAS (Column Address Strobe) 2,2.5,3 cycles (DDR), The Memory Controller selects the column and now the ROW is
ACTIVE, and the READ COMMAND is sent.
3. Data is sent to the DQ pins after CAS delay.
4. tRAS (Row address Strobe) 6 cycles, The module waits a certain period of time for the data to be active.
5. tRP (RAS precharge) 2 cycles, The Memory Controller DEACTIVATES the row.
6. Memory Cycle repeats as requested by the Memory Controller.

The timings are represented as follows:
2-3-2-6 1T (CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)

this is why lower latencies are better for performance. additionally, when you run a pair of memory sticks in a dual channel configuration you essentially double the width of the data bus thus increasing your throughput greatly. so it makes more sense (and it's probably cheaper) to get 2x512 or 2x1GB instead of 1Gb or 2GB sticks respectively.