-lancard

and

Will there be capabilities issues with a the 64 bit cpus
with software and programming

and capabilitie issues with windows vista

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
7950gx2 from nvidia soon to be matched with a x1950xtx from ATI (I think :? )

Asus p5w dh deluxe for Socket 775

conroe x6800 or E6700 (Basically the higher end conroes)

150 gig WD 10000rpm raptor Sata hard drive

Lan Card? No clue

Dont quite get what your asking. 64 bit cpus have been around for a while and they seem to just increase performance. No capability issues should be there if thats what your asking.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Iam talking about in the programming department as in if i program a piece of software will it work in the 64 bit environment

That depends more on the development environment you use than the CPU.
All of the newest processors will run 32 and 64 bit (16 bit for that matter) applications although the OS is a determining factor. Win XP 64 bit will run both and some versions of Linux will as well. Even though the most popular CPU's are 64 bit, applications for a true 64 bit environment are few and far between.

As to your question regarding LAN cards, you have been away from computing for a while, haven't you? Almost all of the latest mother boards sold these days have at least 1 ethernet port build in. Premium boards typically have 2 independent LAN ports.

thelastniceguylee

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
can you give me a computer build that is less then 2000$ but is amazing for gaming , 3d rendering, programming, basically a machine that can compile mdeuim sized video game projects

For those HD video cards can i use a standard crt monitor with them
will the quality be bad with the monitor even if you have a good videocard

And for over clocking wont that ruin the cpu if I get a Core E6600 can i over clock it to 5 ghz without detorying it?

Hi I recently got back into computers and I wonder what is the best
-video card
-motherboard
-cpu
-hardrive
-lancard

and

Will there be capabilities issues with a the 64 bit cpus
with software and programming

and capabilitie issues with windows vista

Well, I am no programming expert but all the new 64 bit CPU's are optimized to run both 32 and 64 bit code, no worries there.

However, when you load a 64 bit OS like Vista, there will be issues if your hardware does not have 64 bit drivers available.
I am pretty certain though that by the time Vista is released mainstream, most modern hardware will have driver updates either included in the OS, or downloadable from the manufactures' web sites.

For instance, when I use the Microsoft Vista Upgrade advisor it reports that everything in my PC is Vista ready (meaning there are 64 bit drivers available) with the exception of my 7 year old Turtle Beach sound card. I doubt due to the age of the card, there will be any 64 bit drivers available, so when I change to Vista I'll need to dump it.

I am in no hurry to upgrade to Vista. I'll wait a couple of years till most of the bugs are worked out.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
can you give me a computer build that is less then 2000$ but is amazing for gaming , 3d rendering, programming, basically a machine that can compile mdeuim sized video game projects

For those HD video cards can i use a standard crt monitor with them
will the quality be bad with the monitor even if you have a good videocard

And for over clocking wont that ruin the cpu if I get a Core E6600 can i over clock it to 5 ghz without detorying it?

I hate to say this on this forum, but I have mostly built and used AMD systems, :oops: so I'm not the best one to suggest anything for the Core E6600.

However, you've come to the right place. That are several experts here who are very knowledgeable about Intel and related products.

Come on guys, jump in and help!

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
well overclocking will reduce ur hardware lifespan and if u intend to overclock i suggest u get a watercooling system ( cpu, video card and hard disk).

when overclocking tempratures go up which make the system very unsatble and therefore a water cooling system will help to get some extra GHz and some extra stability but definatly not 5 ghz. You'd be very lucky to make it to 4ghz.

THG had put an article were an AMD Cpu was overclocked to 5GHz using Liquid Nitrogen ( it was liqiud nitrogen if i'm not mistaken) were the temp. of the liquid was [ -198celcius ]

RichPLS

Champion
You can operate a PC with a 30 to even 50% overclock for 5+ long years due to modern manufacturing and thermal protection, outliving even the most conservative consumers intent... so if you are careful and monitor hardware temps and stability, lifespan is not much of a concern as it used to be...