Enchanted attribute restoration...Is this a bug?

After getting various attributes knocked out while fighting mages in out of
the way places, I decided I needed some restore spells for the times when
potions are scarce. After finding and buying a couple (strength, speed and
endurance, I think) I decided just for curiosity to see what it would cost
to get them enchanted into an exquisite ring I'd picked up. So off to the
elf-chick with the funny voice and...woa. Instead of the three spells I
bought in the list, there's a generic "restore attribute" option, and *all*
of the attributes are listed there. Kewl! So I started fooling around
adding attributes, and...the price never went up very much. Shoot, I tried
to enchant a decent cure poison and parylization spell, and racked up a
bloody huge bill. But this? I ended up adding all eight attributes, cured
at 10-15 points each, and got it for just over $4000. That seems awful
cheap if the thing works. I might have to cook up some drain attribute
potions just to test it. But I'm feeling guilty; this thing's going to make
things very easy. Did I find a bug, or is it supposed to be that way?

Cheers,
Walt
6 answers Last reply
More about enchanted attribute restoration

    WJ wrote:
    > After getting various attributes knocked out while fighting mages in out of
    > the way places, I decided I needed some restore spells for the times when
    > potions are scarce. After finding and buying a couple (strength, speed and
    > endurance, I think) I decided just for curiosity to see what it would cost
    > to get them enchanted into an exquisite ring I'd picked up. So off to the
    > elf-chick with the funny voice and...woa. Instead of the three spells I
    > bought in the list, there's a generic "restore attribute" option, and *all*
    > of the attributes are listed there. Kewl! So I started fooling around
    > adding attributes, and...the price never went up very much. Shoot, I tried
    > to enchant a decent cure poison and parylization spell, and racked up a
    > bloody huge bill. But this? I ended up adding all eight attributes, cured
    > at 10-15 points each, and got it for just over $4000. That seems awful
    > cheap if the thing works. I might have to cook up some drain attribute
    > potions just to test it. But I'm feeling guilty; this thing's going to make
    > things very easy. Did I find a bug, or is it supposed to be that way?

    It's not a bug. It's cheap to get all attritutes at a chapel or temple too.

    > It's not a bug. It's cheap to get all attritutes at a chapel or temple
    > too.

    Thanks. That will help a lot. I had this hilarious episode earlier when I
    went into the smuggler's cave north of Hla Oad, and got all my strength
    zapped. So there I am with a full load of (relatively) expensive goodies
    that I really wanted to keep, and I can't move at all. I had some temporary
    strength-fortifying stuff, and a scroll to get me back to the Balamora
    temple, so I'm running around while the clock is ticking, raiding the last
    of the chests and stuff, then trying to find enough restore strength potions
    to get me moving again, selling off stuff to get my encumbrance down, then
    trying to cure the bad side effects of the cheap strength fortifiers.... I
    know better now, but it was pretty funny at the time.

    Cheers,
    Walt

    WJ wrote:
    >>It's not a bug. It's cheap to get all attritutes at a chapel or temple
    >>too.
    >

    > Thanks. That will help a lot. I had this hilarious episode earlier when I
    > went into the smuggler's cave north of Hla Oad, and got all my strength
    > zapped. So there I am with a full load of (relatively) expensive goodies
    > that I really wanted to keep, and I can't move at all. I had some temporary
    > strength-fortifying stuff, and a scroll to get me back to the Balamora
    > temple, so I'm running around while the clock is ticking, raiding the last
    > of the chests and stuff, then trying to find enough restore strength potions
    > to get me moving again, selling off stuff to get my encumbrance down, then
    > trying to cure the bad side effects of the cheap strength fortifiers.... I
    > know better now, but it was pretty funny at the time.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Walt

    Using a combination of Mark & Recall + Divine intervention
    scroll/amulet/spell you can cart loads of stuff back to 'civilized'
    locations so you can collect it later :)

    ~Cameron

    WJ wrote:
    >>It's not a bug. It's cheap to get all attritutes at a chapel or temple
    >>too.
    >

    > Thanks. That will help a lot. I had this hilarious episode earlier when I
    > went into the smuggler's cave north of Hla Oad, and got all my strength
    > zapped. So there I am with a full load of (relatively) expensive goodies
    > that I really wanted to keep, and I can't move at all. I had some temporary
    > strength-fortifying stuff, and a scroll to get me back to the Balamora
    > temple, so I'm running around while the clock is ticking, raiding the last
    > of the chests and stuff, then trying to find enough restore strength potions
    > to get me moving again, selling off stuff to get my encumbrance down, then
    > trying to cure the bad side effects of the cheap strength fortifiers.... I
    > know better now, but it was pretty funny at the time.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Walt

    damage strength must be the most annoying spell (when it's not you doing
    the casting ;) )

    I believe it was sargon I first experienced the non-regenerating
    strength of 0

    I didn't have a DI at the time so I had to run nudey to an alchemist to
    get a restore strength potion - needless to say the next thing I did
    before going back was learn a restore strength spell... (and buy some
    new pants :P )

    WJ wrote:

    > I had this hilarious episode earlier...

    Been there, too, and lost some hair over it (my hair, not my characters
    hair). Some restore attribute thing (spell, enchanted item or potion) is
    absolutely essential, restore strength probably being the most
    important. One of the first custom spells I usually create with each
    character regardless of its class is "Restore Body" (restores
    str/dex/con/agi) and "Restore Mind" (restores int/wil/per/luck). I just
    make two spells so it doesn't clutter the spell list too much, and they
    are still cheap to cast. The Restore Attribute spell effect is pretty
    cheap, that's why you can pack a lot of it on one enchanted item. The
    nice thing here is, you only need to buy one spell like "Restore
    Strength" and instantly have access to all attributes in the spellmaker
    or enchanter. Temple and Imperial Cult sell those spells. As I play with
    a mod that requires you to join a faction to receive their services,
    this means I got to join one of them early in the game. I never joined
    the Temple yet, though. :)

    Peter

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:12:10 +0200, Peter Strempel
    <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >or enchanter. Temple and Imperial Cult sell those spells. As I play with
    >a mod that requires you to join a faction to receive their services,
    >this means I got to join one of them early in the game. I never joined
    >the Temple yet, though. :)

    The temple has some fairly interesting quests though the Seven Graces
    Pilgrimage right off the start is enough to deter some people -
    particularly those who don't want to spend much time in Vivec in early
    game. The last couple of quests were memorable particularly the 'vow
    of silence' quest - anybody here do that quest WITHOUT using
    levitation?

Games Video Games