Migrating from 64-bit to 32-bit?

echo1434

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I recently had a custom computer built and was told that "64-bit" was the wave of the future as far as Windows goes, but so far it has proved to be completely useless, and lately quite a burden.

After spending a good three weeks setting up my machine just how I like with, with most of my programs installed, and learning the new OS all in the meantime, I'm realizing that some of my hardware will NEVER have 64-bit drivers, and there is simply no hardware to replace it. I'm into some pretty advanced audio/video editing and I'm not going to buy a $10,000 piece of equipment just so I can keep using 64-bit Windows!

I stuck with XP for ages because of possible hardware issues, and sure enough I did have to replace some hardware with more "modern" stuff, or purchase additional related programs that support Windows 7. But now I'm finding that everybody who makes what I use seems to be in love with 32-bit and some of it simply will not work in 64-bit

Please note these are strictly hardware issues, so "virtual mode" is completely worthless, which means I probably I'm really thinking about going to Win 7 32-bit, but I am dead sick of reinstalling Windows, pretty much for the rest of my life. But I would like *at least* another 6 months before I have to go through all that crap again...

So I was wondering if I could use the restore image that Win 7 64-bit allows one to make i6, and then use this to restore a fresh 32-bit install to my current state. I know somebody here asked the opposite question about going from 32 to 64, but it seems the answer was no.

Please note that I have absolutely NO 64-bit programs that I have installed myself, so could this perhaps work at all?

I'm really at my wit's end here - any tips would be appreciated!

echo1434

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I recently purchased a new custom-built computer, and was under the impression that Windows 7 64-bit was the "wave of the future." However, after three weeks of getting the OS set up all how I like it with most of my favorite programs installed, it has proven to be rather useless, and actually a terrible burden as of late.

I stubbornly stuck with XP forever because I foresaw compatibility issues arising from switching. In fact, I have already had to buy two new pieces of (very expensive) hardware just because they are not Win 7 compatible, even though they are amazing devices and are not outdated in any way.

And then I had to pay a few hundred dollars just to purchase software which supports the video capture card I am using - only to find out the drivers were 32-bit only! I do a lot of professional audio/video editing, so I'm not talking bout the kind of stuff you buy at Best Buy or the like.

I'm assuming I will get my money back regarding the useless software I just purchased, but this is just starting to get really depressing.

It turns out I have absolutely ZERO 64-bit programs of my own, nor do I foresee using any in the immediate future. So why was I talked into this?

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a way I could use the "restore image" that Windows 7 allows one to create, and use the one created from my 64-bit install to restore everything back to a fresh 32-bit install.

I know there was another post on here asking the opposite, about moving from 32 to 64, and it seems the answer there was no. However, I was just wondering if this may be different or if there were any possible workarounds.

Again, I have no 64-bit software/hardware on my system (no clue what Windows' own software uses, though).

I'm about at my wit's end here. Maybe I really should sell all my possessions and join a monestary or something. :D

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
So, this is your only problem right now?

And then I had to pay a few hundred dollars just to purchase software which supports the video capture card I am using - only to find out the drivers were 32-bit only! I do a lot of professional audio/video editing, so I'm not talking bout the kind of stuff you buy at Best Buy or the like.

That makes little sense. Is it the software or the video capture card driver that is the problem? 32-bit software runs fine on Win7 64, but you need the correct driver for the hardware. I have never heard of a hardware product that has a driver for Win7 32 but not 64.