Hiding options ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi All

I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile and
a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular machine).

I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where user
loged in.

* Hide Run
* Hide MyComputer
* Hide Control Pannel
* Hide network neighbour
* Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
* User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on his
network drive in his profile.
* Hide CD ROM and Floppy.

I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know about
2000 how to do this.

Can some one advise how to do this

I will be very thankfull.

Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of Group Policy:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/grouppolicy/default.mspx

This portal will give you introductory overviews and technical white papers
(it's geared for 2003, but most of it applies to 2000 as well.) Here's a
white paper that's written specifically for Windows 2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/grouppolwp.asp

Mark Minasi (www.minasi.com) has also wrote a "mini-book" on Group Policy
administration to accompany his (required reading) Mastering Windows Server
2003. Quite worthwhile.

--
******************************
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

"F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile
> and
> a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular machine).
>
> I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where user
> loged in.
>
> * Hide Run
> * Hide MyComputer
> * Hide Control Pannel
> * Hide network neighbour
> * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on his
> network drive in his profile.
> * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
>
> I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
> about
> 2000 how to do this.
>
> Can some one advise how to do this
>

> I will be very thankfull.
>

> Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

In Windows 2000 you use Active Directory Users and Computers - Group Policy
to control these settings. Most of the ones you are interested in are found
in User Configuration/Administrative Templates. Strongly suggest you create
a Test OU with some test users in order to experiment with this before you
modify any default policies. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/evaluate/featfunc/introgp.mspx

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile
and
> a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular machine).
>
> I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where user
> loged in.
>
> * Hide Run
> * Hide MyComputer
> * Hide Control Pannel
> * Hide network neighbour
> * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on his
> network drive in his profile.
> * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
>
> I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
about
> 2000 how to do this.
>
> Can some one advise how to do this
>

> I will be very thankfull.
>

> Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I tried exactly according to these instruction.

I created OU then a group in the OU and then created policies and then I
put a user to this group

When i log in from a machine with this user I observer two things

1. Logon is very slow and taking too much time to get profile details.
2. What ever I enabled/disabled in policy its not there everything is same
as normal without policy.

I think this problem is related to DNS .

Any suggestion or advise please

Regards

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> In Windows 2000 you use Active Directory Users and Computers - Group
Policy
> to control these settings. Most of the ones you are interested in are
found
> in User Configuration/Administrative Templates. Strongly suggest you
create
> a Test OU with some test users in order to experiment with this before you
> modify any default policies. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/evaluate/featfunc/introgp.mspx

> Doug Sherman
> MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>

> "F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile
> and
> > a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular
machine).

> > I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where
user
> > loged in.
> >
> > * Hide Run
> > * Hide MyComputer
> > * Hide Control Pannel
> > * Hide network neighbour
> > * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> > * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on
his
> > network drive in his profile.
> > * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
> >
> > I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
> about
> > 2000 how to do this.
> >
> > Can some one advise how to do this
> >

> > I will be very thankfull.
> >

> > Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Delete the group and move the user to the OU. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220822

> I tried exactly according to these instruction.
>
> I created OU then a group in the OU and then created policies and then I
> put a user to this group
>
> When i log in from a machine with this user I observer two things
>
> 1. Logon is very slow and taking too much time to get profile details.
> 2. What ever I enabled/disabled in policy its not there everything is same
> as normal without policy.
>
> I think this problem is related to DNS .
>
> Any suggestion or advise please
>

> Regards
>

> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows 2000 you use Active Directory Users and Computers - Group
> Policy
> > to control these settings. Most of the ones you are interested in are
> found
> > in User Configuration/Administrative Templates. Strongly suggest you
> create
> > a Test OU with some test users in order to experiment with this before
you
> > modify any default policies. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/evaluate/featfunc/introgp.mspx

> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >

> > "F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming
profile
> > and
> > > a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular
> machine).
> > >
> > > I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where
> user
> > > loged in.
> > >
> > > * Hide Run
> > > * Hide MyComputer
> > > * Hide Control Pannel
> > > * Hide network neighbour
> > > * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> > > * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on
> his
> > > network drive in his profile.
> > > * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
> > >
> > > I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
> > about
> > > 2000 how to do this.
> > >
> > > Can some one advise how to do this
> > >

> > > I will be very thankfull.