clearing problem files from temp folders

I have 2 files in (Documents and Settings\mark\Local
Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) that I can't make
go away. I can't (Run-Disk clean up). The machine just sitts there
runing. I have a Word doc that shows the files in questions. OS win2k
Advance Sever
12 answers Last reply
More about clearing problem files temp folders

    Create another user with local admin rights and delete the files from there.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "a16bit" wrote:
    |I have 2 files in (Documents and Settings\mark\Local
    | Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) that I can't make
    | go away. I can't (Run-Disk clean up). The machine just sitts there
    | runing. I have a Word doc that shows the files in questions. OS win2k
    | Advance Sever
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    All ready tried that , That was the first trick.

    I feel it's in the reg haven't been able to find any thing and I am not really sure that I should be looking for too.

    the files have a URL appearance to them .

    Example first line reads the following: (;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp=N;prh=N ..ect .. nca=0[1] )
    the next line reads as follows: (1035228687@headerspon. ...ect... localsite6[1].1 )

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Create another user with local admin rights and delete the files from there.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "a16bit" wrote:
    > |I have 2 files in (Documents and Settings\mark\Local
    > | Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) that I can't make
    > | go away. I can't (Run-Disk clean up). The machine just sitts there
    > | runing. I have a Word doc that shows the files in questions. OS win2k
    > | Advance Sever

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I already trid that . the files have the following format. Fisrt line starts out (;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp-n;prh=N---ect---nca=0[1])

    The next line two lines are in this format(1035228687@headerspon. ---ect---localsite6[1].1)

    I feel the problem lies in the reg. I looked around but not really sure what I am looking for too.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Create another user with local admin rights and delete the files from there.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "a16bit" wrote:
    > |I have 2 files in (Documents and Settings\mark\Local
    > | Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) that I can't make
    > | go away. I can't (Run-Disk clean up). The machine just sitts there
    > | runing. I have a Word doc that shows the files in questions. OS win2k
    > | Advance Sever

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    What happens when you try?

    --

    "a16bit" wrote:
    |I already trid that . the files have the following format. Fisrt line
    starts out (;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp-n;prh=N---ect---nca=0[1])

    | The next line two lines are in this
    format(1035228687@headerspon. ---ect---localsite6[1].1)

    | I feel the problem lies in the reg. I looked around but not really sure
    what I am looking for too.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    There is (2) folders in the CONTENT.IE5 folder [ OXSPUBOL & ON6NCHER ]
    When I try to delete them < from any Log-on >

    First error reads: (can not delete 103522~1.1 cannot find the specified file)

    Click OK then get: OXSPYBOL IS A SYSTEM FOLDER, ECT.

    Also if I try to run {Disk cleanup} it just hangs there that is when I found this situation

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What happens when you try?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "a16bit" wrote:
    > |I already trid that . the files have the following format. Fisrt line
    > starts out (;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp-n;prh=N---ect---nca=0[1])
    > |
    > | The next line two lines are in this
    > format(1035228687@headerspon. ---ect---localsite6[1].1)
    > |
    > | I feel the problem lies in the reg. I looked around but not really sure
    > what I am looking for too.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    here are the files in the OXSPYBOL folder
    ;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp=n;prh=N;sid=0;nfc=0;ndc=0tda=com;nfa=0;nda=7;npa=7;hst=2;dsr=N;exp=349;vip=1;lin=y;nef=0;nwc=0;loc=am;n1c=0;ncc=0;nic=0;nea=0;nwa=0n1a=0nca=0[1]

    1035228687@HeaderSpon,PageSpon, PageSpon2,LocalAd,WxSpon,Explore1, Explore2, Explore3, Explore4, Explore5, Explore6,Localsite1, Localsite1, Localsite2, Localsite3, Localsite4, Localsite5, Localsite6,[1].1

    1906936590@HeaderSpon,PageSpon, PageSpon2,LocalAd,WxSpon,Explore1, Explore2, Explore3, Explore4, Explore5, Explore6,Localsite1, Localsite1, Localsite2, Localsite3, Localsite4, Localsite5, Localsite6,[1].1

    "a16bit" wrote:

    > There is (2) folders in the CONTENT.IE5 folder [ OXSPUBOL & ON6NCHER ]
    > When I try to delete them < from any Log-on >
    >
    > First error reads: (can not delete 103522~1.1 cannot find the specified file)
    >
    > Click OK then get: OXSPYBOL IS A SYSTEM FOLDER, ECT.
    >
    > Also if I try to run {Disk cleanup} it just hangs there that is when I found this situation
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > What happens when you try?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >

    > > "a16bit" wrote:
    > > |I already trid that . the files have the following format. Fisrt line
    > > starts out (;rnw=1;cqt=0;amp-n;prh=N---ect---nca=0[1])
    > > |
    > > | The next line two lines are in this
    > > format(1035228687@headerspon. ---ect---localsite6[1].1)
    > > |
    > > | I feel the problem lies in the reg. I looked around but not really sure
    > > what I am looking for too.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    From a command prompt try;

    del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
    (Note: the period between \\ and \)

    --

    "a16bit" wrote:
    | There is (2) folders in the CONTENT.IE5 folder [ OXSPUBOL & ON6NCHER ]
    | When I try to delete them < from any Log-on >
    |
    | First error reads: (can not delete 103522~1.1 cannot find the specified
    file)

    | Click OK then get: OXSPYBOL IS A SYSTEM FOLDER, ECT.
    |
    | Also if I try to run {Disk cleanup} it just hangs there that is when I
    found this situation
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Dave this is what I typed at a prompt (thru cmd)

    del \\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL

    What error message I got was: {The system cannot find the path specified}

    When I go to the Folder and do a DIR I get the following: 39,361 1035228687@HeaderSpon,PageSpon, PageSpon2,LocalAd,WxSpon,Explore1, Explore2, Explore3, Explore4, Explore5, Explore6,Localsite1, Localsite1, Localsite2, Localsite3, Localsite4, Localsite5, Localsite6,[1].1

    I placed that as the “File Name� at the end of the path and go the same error.

    I log on as the Key Admin on the unit, When I explore the “ User “ that has the problem file I note that there is {2}[Temporary Internet Files ] folders listed , but the problem one is IS inside a [Temp] folder as seen in the above path. The other is in this path [C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5] and this one I can del any thing I wish.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > From a command prompt try;
    >
    > del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
    > (Note: the period between \\ and \)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "a16bit" wrote:
    > | There is (2) folders in the CONTENT.IE5 folder [ OXSPUBOL & ON6NCHER ]
    > | When I try to delete them < from any Log-on >
    > |
    > | First error reads: (can not delete 103522~1.1 cannot find the specified
    > file)
    > |
    > | Click OK then get: OXSPYBOL IS A SYSTEM FOLDER, ECT.
    > |
    > | Also if I try to run {Disk cleanup} it just hangs there that is when I
    > found this situation

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Try with quotes.

    "a16bit" wrote:
    | Dave this is what I typed at a prompt (thru cmd)
    |
    | del \\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
    Internet Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL

    | What error message I got was: {The system cannot find the path specified}
    |
    | When I go to the Folder and do a DIR I get the following:
    39,361 1035228687@HeaderSpon,PageSpon, PageSpon2,LocalAd,WxSpon,Explore1,
    Explore2, Explore3, Explore4, Explore5, Explore6,Localsite1, Localsite1,
    Localsite2, Localsite3, Localsite4, Localsite5, Localsite6,[1].1

    | I placed that as the "File Name" at the end of the path and go the same
    error.

    | I log on as the Key Admin on the unit, When I explore the " User " that
    has the problem file I note that there is {2}[Temporary Internet Files ]
    folders listed , but the problem one is IS inside a [Temp] folder as seen in
    the above path. The other is in this path [C:\Documents and
    Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5] and this
    one I can del any thing I wish.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Tried the command as stated - del “\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL
    Conformed the “Y� and got “File not found�

    Tried - “\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files ] and got ( could not find “\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files )

    Tried - del “\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp - and got ( the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process )

    All from the Admin level log on /not the Mark log-on

    What I don’t understand is Why do I see the files in Windows, and CMD sees them in a DIR, but They can’t be seen for DEL ?

    Also Why there is 2 Temp sub folders under User Mark, One that Windows uses All of the time and one that haves these files from Hell?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Try with quotes.
    >
    > del "\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
    > Internet Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "a16bit" wrote:
    > | Dave this is what I typed at a prompt (thru cmd)
    > |
    > | del \\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
    > Internet Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL
    > |

    > | What error message I got was: {The system cannot find the path specified}
    > |
    > | When I go to the Folder and do a DIR I get the following:
    > 39,361 1035228687@HeaderSpon,PageSpon, PageSpon2,LocalAd,WxSpon,Explore1,
    > Explore2, Explore3, Explore4, Explore5, Explore6,Localsite1, Localsite1,
    > Localsite2, Localsite3, Localsite4, Localsite5, Localsite6,[1].1
    > |
    > | I placed that as the "File Name" at the end of the path and go the same
    > error.
    > |

    > | I log on as the Key Admin on the unit, When I explore the " User " that
    > has the problem file I note that there is {2}[Temporary Internet Files ]
    > folders listed , but the problem one is IS inside a [Temp] folder as seen in
    > the above path. The other is in this path [C:\Documents and
    > Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5] and this
    > one I can del any thing I wish.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    After backup you might want to run;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
    %systemroot% and %windir%

    --

    "a16bit" wrote:
    | Tried the command as stated - del "\\.\C:\Documents and
    Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\0XSPYBOL
    | Conformed the "Y" and got "File not found"
    |
    | Tried - "\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
    Internet Files ] and got ( could not find "\\.\C:\Documents and
    Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files )

    | Tried - del "\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\mark\Local Settings\Temp -
    and got ( the process cannot access the file because it is being used by
    another process )

    | All from the Admin level log on /not the Mark log-on
    |
    | What I don't understand is Why do I see the files in Windows, and CMD sees
    them in a DIR, but They can't be seen for DEL ?

    | Also Why there is 2 Temp sub folders under User Mark, One that Windows
    uses All of the time and one that haves these files from Hell?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    In order to delete these nasty files that start with ;... try deleting
    the folder that contains them. From a command prompt, use the rd
    command with the /s option. for example:

    c:\rd/s "C:\Documents and Settins\User\Local Settings"

    I had the same problem and it was very frustrating! I hope this helps.

    --
    PCDude

Servers Microsoft Internet Windows