Migrating from 64-bit to 32-bit?

echo1434

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I recently purchased a new custom-built computer, and was under the impression that Windows 7 64-bit was the "wave of the future." However, after three weeks of getting the OS set up all how I like it with most of my favorite programs installed, it has proven to be rather useless, and actually a terrible burden as of late.

I stubbornly stuck with XP forever because I foresaw compatibility issues arising from switching. In fact, I have already had to buy two new pieces of (very expensive) hardware just because they are not Win 7 compatible, even though they are amazing devices and are not outdated in any way.

And then I had to pay a few hundred dollars just to purchase software which supports the video capture card I am using - only to find out the drivers were 32-bit only! I do a lot of professional audio/video editing, so I'm not talking bout the kind of stuff you buy at Best Buy or the like.

I'm assuming I will get my money back regarding the useless software I just purchased, but this is just starting to get really depressing.

It turns out I have absolutely ZERO 64-bit programs of my own, nor do I foresee using any in the immediate future. So why was I talked into this?

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a way I could use the "restore image" that Windows 7 allows one to create, and use the one created from my 64-bit install to restore everything back to a fresh 32-bit install.

I know there was another post on here asking the opposite, about moving from 32 to 64, and it seems the answer there was no. However, I was just wondering if this may be different or if there were any possible workarounds.

Again, I have no 64-bit software/hardware on my system (no clue what Windows' own software uses, though).

I'm about at my wit's end here. Maybe I really should sell all my possessions and join a monastery or something. :D

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

There is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice-versa. You'll need to do a clean install. If this was a retail version of Win 7 you should be able to use your current activation key. If it was an OEM version of Win 7, you will need to purchase 32 bit Win 7.

You would have avoided a lot of hassle if you had just run the win 7 upgrade advisor on your current system before purchasing a new system. It would have told you it had no 32 bit drivers for these devices and to see if the manufacturer had new drivers out for it yet.

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

echo1434

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks, but I'm not gonna let one or two programs/hardware pieces force me me into staying with 32-bit (which I predict will be as dead as 16-bit soon enough).

I ultimately decided just to use XP on my older machine to do the few things I can't do on Windows 7. So far, so good! :sol: