Sign in with
Your question

You People Are All So Funny! (DirectX 10 topic!)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2006 9:07:28 PM

I really have to laugh when I keep seeing all of these posts here on TGForumz, and on other forum sites, about DX10 and DX10 GPU's.
People, get it together! No One knows when the new cards will come out, how much they will cost, and whether or not you should wait to buy one, or buy a current gen card! (except nVidia and ATI; nVidia did say that they expect to release 2 or 3 very high end DX10 cards between August and December). When people ask questions about DX10, the people who answer anything other than:
"There is no official word yet",
>or<
"Just wait and see!",
should go shoot themselves;
THEY HAVE NO IDEA!!!
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 10:02:04 PM

thx for sharing your opinion.
Related resources
July 30, 2006 10:17:31 PM

Quote:
thx for sharing your opinion.

Yea, this is a really productive thread.... :roll:
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 10:27:10 PM

Yeah, has sticky potential written all over it. :lol: 
July 30, 2006 10:28:55 PM

You got that right! :lol: 
July 30, 2006 10:35:03 PM

Quote:
No One knows when the new cards will come out, how much they will cost, and whether or not you should wait to buy one, or buy a current gen card!

Ohhh, you don't have your crystal ball at hand? I do. :wink:

And mine tells me... the GeForce GTX8800 is going to be the most outrageous GPU the mankind has ever seen... the ATI XTX2800 is going to be the second biggest GPU, but the tables will turn when the GTX8900 and XTX2900 arrive... Beware, these are true words...
The G80 and R600 GPUs will arrive in November...

The Crystal Ball has spoken... :roll:

PS: There's no typos. Everything is on purpose.
July 30, 2006 10:36:46 PM

I agree actually, dx10 won't be until next year, so why ask about getting a card that supports dx10 this year.
July 30, 2006 10:37:55 PM

Quote:
so why ask about getting a card that supports dx10 this year.

Current cards will support DX10...
July 30, 2006 10:39:04 PM

what 'current cards' might they be?
July 30, 2006 10:40:37 PM

All DX9 cards. But they won't ise features like SM4.
July 30, 2006 10:42:03 PM

a card that supports up to dx9.0c (as all current cards do) does not support dx10.
July 30, 2006 10:43:10 PM

Yes, because DX10 isn't out yet, but they will run DX10 with no problem.
July 30, 2006 10:44:04 PM

please cite your source for this.
July 30, 2006 10:44:50 PM

Can DX8 cards run DX9?
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 10:46:09 PM

yeah davie prozac is right you have to understand that
dx10 will be backward compatible.

in other words if you have a decent card now it will work fine
for dx10 that is.

and to goat head it is called speculation
no one can predict the future

and as spock said no one can guarantee the actions of another
July 30, 2006 10:47:49 PM

so what you are saying is that in order to run dx10 users only need to upgrade operating system to vista, regardless of what graphics card they have. Or are you now saying that xp will be compatible with dx10.

the next thing that guy on prozac will be claming is that amd processors are better than intels.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 10:49:57 PM

yes
July 30, 2006 10:49:58 PM

DX10 so far, will only be Vista only.
July 30, 2006 10:52:53 PM

Hmm, this thread doesn't make sense.

You have posted to say that we shouldn't speculate about DX10 because no-one knows about it. But surely if we knew about it then there wouldn't be any need for said speculation in the first place?

So in actual fact you are just stating the obvious which makes you look dumber than the very people you are laughing at.

Life's nice, isn't it?
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2006 10:53:56 PM

Quote:
Can DX8 cards run DX9?

No, it doesn't support DX9 features. You can run the game, but only with a DX8 render path. Halo is my best example of this. It has several render paths one can use. If I remember correctly, it has different paths for DX7, 8, and 9. You use a switch in the windows properties box to tell it which one to use.

Other games support lower cards by letting the GPU emulate the features. If your card doesn't support a shader or something else, then it will send the info to the CPU. I'm not sure if games still use this, but you used to see games that would say "1GHz" needed if you had a good video card, or a 2GHz CPU if not.

Please tell me how to get a DX7 card to support DX9, using DX9 features.
July 30, 2006 10:55:21 PM

Did I say it can use all of the features? Did I? No, all I said it can run it, didn't mention features.
July 30, 2006 10:58:19 PM

I don't think the guy is laughing at anyone in particular, just the subject under discussion.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2006 11:15:44 PM

Quote:
Did I say it can use all of the features?

In which case my first comment applies. That also means its a feature of the game, not the video card. If the video card supports DX9 only, and the game supports DX10 only, then it won't work. If the video card supports DX9, and the game supports DX8, 9, and 10, then it will work, in DX9 mode. But in this case, your not playing a DX10 game on a DX9 card, your playing a DX9 game, on a DX9 card. (which is a duh...)
July 30, 2006 11:22:18 PM

Isn't DX10 going to be the first non-backwards compatible architecture? And I'm pretty sure I've seen reviews and tech specs for current cards that pretty much state they will not work with DX10.

:?
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2006 12:14:07 AM

Yes. In order to use DX10 you have to use vista. The procedure calls are vastly different in DX10, it uses a very different structure. (one that is supposed to lower the overhead with <DX9)
Frankly, I agree with the comment. Some are worrying about cards that aren't out until the end of the year. To use all their features, they require a first gen OS. They are rumored to require massive amounts of power. Their perfomance isn't even know yet. They should be faster at DX9 then current DX9 cards, but until some graphs show up, it isn't certain. My friend has a Geforce2 in his computer. We can no longer play games with each other, as I have DX9 and he is pre 7. I urge him to get any DX8/9 card so we can game together like we used to. If he bought a 7600/x1600/x1800, things would be great. If you already have a 7900GT/x1900, then moving to a 7950/1950 doesn't really get you much. Save the cash, and wait.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2006 12:57:50 AM

BORING !!! :roll:
July 31, 2006 1:15:22 AM

Yes, it it's boring, but try to make it funny.
You can laugh at the guy. :wink:

:lol:  :lol: 
July 31, 2006 1:52:17 AM

Quote:
I really have to laugh when I keep seeing all of these posts here on TGForumz, and on other forum sites, about DX10 and DX10 GPU's.
People, get it together! No One knows when the new cards will come out, how much they will cost, and whether or not you should wait to buy one, or buy a current gen card! (except nVidia and ATI; nVidia did say that they expect to release 2 or 3 very high end DX10 cards between August and December). When people ask questions about DX10, the people who answer anything other than:
>or<
"Just wait and see!",
THEY HAVE NO IDEA!!!

Are you saying no one possible posting here could work for ATI, Nvidia, and you left out Intel? :wink: Maybe it would be best if you followed your own advice.
July 31, 2006 2:22:02 AM

hes also saying that you won't get all the features of dx10... just as my card does not get all the features of dx9.0c but it is 9.0 combat (x850xt)
no sm3.0
July 31, 2006 2:45:10 AM

You might not get any features, other than VGA that is. It would be nice if DX10 ran on a DX9 cards then we would not have to worry, now would we? But we do, we have to worry since we know what GLglide means and that in DX10 cards rendering is redone and is made easy.

Who ever started this post is a bafoon. I got my card becuse it's my card. I don't expect for people to speculate, but can't one person say for instane 'I'm holding out'... Sure they can, and it's probably because of that gut feeling vs. I don't know crap.

What's very funny is that the person that gets a DX9 card and has a heck of a summer might be able to run DX10 under visa. It's all a catch 22, you see?

<<<no wait, let me be like that guy who started this post for a sec... MUUUAA MUAAA ...don't you get anything, don't do anything, you're all slaves to a pointless set of morals, you can't say... you're all wrong... >>>

what a cookie monster! and a bunch a bull crap. Uncertainty factor is what it is. Right now my x1900xt's DX9 runs you, oh and it might run DX10 under Vista if someone writes a soft that is, if not, I'll feed it to some low level tacky physics and I'll still be happy, but don't stick me with bull crap in face.

LEAST USEFULL POST OF THE DAY
July 31, 2006 3:43:47 AM

There's nothing wrong with some educated speculation. No go jump in front of a bus.

Thanks,

mpjesse
July 31, 2006 8:46:15 AM

My theory is that nothing that huge in the recent PC world isn't backwards compatible.

I expect that DX10 will offer a whole host of new features and extensions, but will still work to a degree with existing hardware - just without the DX10 features.

Eg if your card supports SM3.0 vs SM2.0 currently.

DX10 cards (as with any next generation hardware) will also eat previous-gen games for breakfast. This much should be obvious, and yet some people seem to think otherwise.

OH WAIT OMGGGG IM GUESSING ABOUT DX10!!!11!!ONE!!1!!!

/shoots himself
/falls out window
/dies
July 31, 2006 10:02:44 AM

Quote:
yeah davie prozac is right you have to understand that
dx10 will be backward compatible.

in other words if you have a decent card now it will work fine
for dx10 that is.

Dude, your understanding of 'backwards compatible' is dodgy. DX10 being backwards compatible means that a DX10 card will run games based on DX9. It does not mean that a DX9 card will run a DX10 game. As mentioned, the game developer may wish to include a DX9 codepath, in a game which also has a DX10 codepath, and if you are using this (DX9) codepath you are playing a DX9 game not a DX10 game.

A decent card now will NOT run a DX10 codepath.
July 31, 2006 10:04:18 AM

soo..anyone heard samething remotely optimistic about DX11 yet...... :D 
July 31, 2006 10:06:38 AM

what do you think guys ...when will the DX12 show up?....
July 31, 2006 3:51:30 PM

What's DirectX? What's a GPU? What's a computer? What's the internet?

Waiting for someone to take this post seriously...
July 31, 2006 4:29:04 PM

*shoves Gary Busey in front of a city bus*
July 31, 2006 4:31:00 PM

If this was a perfect world, DX10 would come out at the exact same time as cards that would be able to support it with games running it at the exact same time as Vista also. Throw in the Core 3 Quad launch and... what the heck, new Physic cards, Terabit ethernet, petabyte HDD's, and 15.1 channel audio... at the same time

If only this was a perfect world...
July 31, 2006 4:34:35 PM

I WILL SMASH YOUR FACE INTO A JELLY!!!1!1!!
July 31, 2006 4:50:06 PM

I hate to bring this thread back to topic, but...

G80 in Q3

R600 in Q4

This is a broad speculation. Please reread the previous sentence before posting. OK, got it? I'm not sure, read it again. One more time. And then one more for good luck.

~Ibrahim~

P.S. For those slow people, read it one more time.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2006 5:00:26 PM

i,ll bet when vista and dx10 come out my 6800gt will work on it
July 31, 2006 5:29:45 PM

Quote:
>or<
"Just wait and see!",
THEY HAVE NO IDEA!!!

You're wasting your time talking sense here, that isn't something that's accepted on this Forum.
Half truths, speculation, wild accusations, and denial in the face of truth lives here..........don't let it piss you off.
July 31, 2006 5:35:03 PM

Quote:

What's SM4? Is it a visual feature like AA, and if so is dx10 going to have other features not in dx9?
July 31, 2006 5:41:05 PM

Quote:

What's SM4? Is it a visual feature like AA, and if so is dx10 going to have other features not in dx9?

SM4 stands for Shader Model 4, which comes with DX10. Google a little bit about it. :wink:
July 31, 2006 5:46:38 PM

Ahh, I learned about that today when I read my noob GPU guide.
July 31, 2006 5:52:47 PM

I'll state that I know.........that the OP is wasting bits with this thread. Via Toms and other places I have learned enough about DX10 that I didn't buy an expensive card 2 months ago because around Christmas time (give or take 2 months) the DX10 cards will be out. Also that next spring I'll be building my new system (still on AGP) and probably installing Vista.

So for all of you here, including me, that have been "guessing", thank you and keep up the good work. Read enough opinions and it all adds up to enough info to make an educated guess for a present day purchase. Right now my X1600 is enough to get me to January and enjoy 2006 games (just not at the highest settings). I will continue here and on other forums to suggest that everyone consider their PC's life cycle, and perhaps not spend more than $250 on a GFX card now with DX10 cards less than 6 months away. Save money now and suffer a little, then get a nice high end DX10 that will last a couple years. Even if I had a great PCI-e system today, I sure wouldn't buy a top of the line card now with DX10 coming out in a few months. It's precisely because of the DX10/Vista speculations here that is helping us all make better choices, and it's all relative to our own personal needs.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2006 5:59:17 PM

Quote:
is dx10 going to have other features not in dx9?

Uhhhhh, yeah. DX10 is going to have lots of things that DX9 doesn't have. Not only newer models of exsisting shaders, but new shaders also.
July 31, 2006 6:04:02 PM

Yeah, some Geometry shaders as well. I think everyone should go read the the GPU guide, helps clear plenty of things up.

~Ibrahim~
!