Formatting an existing partition on a cluster.

I have cluster with two partitions on a storage array.
One of the partitions Drive G: has become corrupted and
needs to be reformatted. Microsoft states that in order
to do this, you have to close all handles leading to this
partition before it can be done. I've tried it their way,
and i still get an error stating that another device or
application is using this device, click OK to continue but
it isn't recommended. I can choose to force a format.
Question is, what are the proper steps to do this? Or
should i just delete the partition and recreate it?

This is the link i have to MS's way.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257937

any help is greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about formatting existing partition cluster

    I wouldn't delete/recreate unless you have no alternative. I'd recommend
    using handle.exe from Sysinternals to figure out what has a handle on your
    drive. It's usually antivirus software or other monitoring software.

    You can find handle.exe here:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml

    Regards,
    John

    "Mikee" <bigpappa1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have cluster with two partitions on a storage array.
    > One of the partitions Drive G: has become corrupted and
    > needs to be reformatted. Microsoft states that in order
    > to do this, you have to close all handles leading to this
    > partition before it can be done. I've tried it their way,
    > and i still get an error stating that another device or
    > application is using this device, click OK to continue but
    > it isn't recommended. I can choose to force a format.
    > Question is, what are the proper steps to do this? Or
    > should i just delete the partition and recreate it?
    >
    > This is the link i have to MS's way.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257937
    >
    > any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thanks John, I'll give it a shot.

Partition Microsoft Formatting Windows