Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading an old computer just to make it work. Need help.

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2006 11:40:02 PM

First of all, I have this old compaq computer (socket 478) and the performance is pretty sad.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3386...
So I want to spend about $200 on a mobo with agp slot and a graphic card to make it better since this computer has an integrated graphic card.

But I can't take the cpu out :S Like i tried everything with hand but the cpu fan seems to be stuck.

Help please. :( 

I'll add on my problems as i go.

Thks.
July 31, 2006 12:24:04 AM

Quote:
First of all, I have this old compaq computer (socket 478) and the performance is pretty sad.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3386...
So I want to spend about $200 on a mobo with agp slot and a graphic card to make it better since this computer has an integrated graphic card.

But I can't take the cpu out :S Like i tried everything with hand but the cpu fan seems to be stuck.

Help please. :( 

I'll add on my problems as i go.

Thks.

It is soldered so you cannot upgrade it. Welcome to prebuilts.
July 31, 2006 12:36:31 AM

Quote:

wow its gay. I guess i'll build a rig for like $250 Canadian for a new cpu,mobo and gfx card.

so far, i got amd64 3k+ 939 and a foxconn board for $150

Any recommendations for a $100 gfx card??
i'll be ONLY getting it from www.canadacomputers.com
and only play Counter Strike 1.6 and need to get 100+fps easily.
Which isn't alot.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2006 12:58:42 AM

AGP? or PCI-E? You need to be specific here.....
July 31, 2006 1:10:21 AM

I'm sorry, Pci-e now.
July 31, 2006 1:47:17 AM

will i be able to get 100+fps in hl2 steam games?
July 31, 2006 1:53:20 AM

Quote:

That really blows. Anyways, I just did some searching, and I found that the S4300NX had an AGP 8x slot, but I saw no mention of one on the 4200.

Are you sure that there's no AGP slot? An AGP slot is usually black, and it's shorter than the white PCI slots.

Quote:
I'm sorry, Pci-e now.

There aren't any socket 478 boards that have PCIe. If the CPU is soldered onto the board, and it doesn't have an AGP slot, then I'm afraid to say that you're SOL. You could always get a PCI grahpics card; they all suck, but they're better than integrated graphics.
July 31, 2006 2:01:52 AM

Why do you need 100+? You won't see a difference between 60 and 100. Also, I think you could find a cheaper mobo and afford a better graphics card if you really need over 100 fps. Please, just don't buy Foxconn. I worked at HP for awhile and they outsource 80% of their work to Foxconn. Well, all I can say is that they have QUALITY ISSUES. That was with business PCs. I can only imagine what the consumer market is like. You'd be better off with a Gigabyte, Asus, or the like.
July 31, 2006 2:23:34 AM

im just completely getting a new cpu/mobo and gfx card.
athlon 3k+
foxconn mobo
and x800xl i've decided

and my come doesnt have agp slot trust me. heh.
I thought foxconn was chosen the best mobo company.
July 31, 2006 2:39:52 AM

i assumed that you had the motherboard,but if you haven't bought yet i would say get a board from asus , gigabyte or msi. i have built systems with these and they are all quality boards. im not so sure about the board you are talkin about,most builders i know use the boards i mentioned and a few other well known brands
July 31, 2006 2:47:02 AM

foxconn board was the cheapest and has everything that i need.
which is just a socket 939 and a pci-express :p 

it was $65 cad.
July 31, 2006 2:58:56 AM

k,

I doubt the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard, that would really be a first on a socket 478.

Here is a link from HP/Compaq that gives _generic_ instructions on how to upgrade/replace the CPU.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=ca...

If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the retention mechanism used to hold the heatsink to the motherboard. It has to be removable but I can't tell you how without seeing it.

HTH.
July 31, 2006 3:06:45 AM

Quote:
i assumed that you had the motherboard,but if you haven't bought yet i would say get a board from asus , gigabyte or msi. i have built systems with these and they are all quality boards. im not so sure about the board you are talkin about,most builders i know use the boards i mentioned and a few other well known brands

I agree with the fish; get an ASUS board. Also, you'll need new RAM; I wouldn't put whatever crap RAM came with the Compaq with an Athlon 64. The X800XL is a fast card, but it doesn't support SM 3.0, and it's getting a little long in the tooth. For those reasons, I'd save until you could afford a 7600GT ($139 @ newegg), which is faster, and it supports SM 3.0.
July 31, 2006 3:23:28 AM

I hate to say it, but unless you really want to cut up your old compaq to make any new hardware fit (you might have to as prebuilds often have proprietary designs) you might just be better off doing a complete rebuild. You probably will be able to reuse your old hdd, cd/dvd, floppy and maybe other parts to save on costs however.
July 31, 2006 3:57:57 PM

Quote:
foxconn board was the cheapest and has everything that i need.
which is just a socket 939 and a pci-express :p 

it was $65 cad.

No... BAD! Stay away from $65 mobo's and Foxconn altogether.
July 31, 2006 4:32:38 PM

Just sell the rig as a P4 system save up and get something decent that will last years
July 31, 2006 5:18:20 PM

I'm already buying this rig,

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 $239
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $180
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB $214
BFG 7900GT $270
OCZ ModStream 450 Watt $78
$981

and want to make my old one a lil better.
IF it is soldered in, im also just gonna rebuild a new one

ASUS mobo (if i find)
x800xl
amd 3k+

I will take a picture of it. One sec.
July 31, 2006 5:24:50 PM

Quote:
will i be able to get 100+fps in hl2 steam games?

First you say you'll only be playing Counter-Strike 1.6, now you ask about HL2 games? Make up your mind.

Achieving high FPS in CS 1.6 would be a much simpler task than trying to achieve such a performance in HL2 games. By simpler I mean cheaper.
July 31, 2006 5:32:14 PM

I meant to say cs1.6 steam games. cs is a hl engine so :p 

i can't find a cable for the dc... so nvm about the picture..

ithink imma just rebuild

I've found this.
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd...
this would be much better than the $65 foxconn right?
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2006 6:05:57 PM

I would avoid VIA chipsets, but yes it would be better than the foxconn board. I still say go for the Asus A8N5X.
July 31, 2006 6:12:41 PM

Quote:

Alright, maybe you just don't have a firm understanding of Steam and Half-Life.

Steam is like a content-delivery platform from where you can download and access games such as CS 1.6 or HL2.

Counter-Strike 1.6 is run on the "original" Half-Life engine. But HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, & etc. are run on the new engine called "Source."

In terms of PC requirements, there's quite a difference between running a performance rig geared for CS 1.6 versus CS:S. I just wanted to have you clarify what sorts of games you intend to use the computer for ... as a graphics card which can pull you through CS 1.6 may not be able to pull you through CS:S (or HL2).
July 31, 2006 7:43:05 PM

Quote:

Alright, maybe you just don't have a firm understanding of Steam and Half-Life.

Steam is like a content-delivery platform from where you can download and access games such as CS 1.6 or HL2.

Counter-Strike 1.6 is run on the "original" Half-Life engine. But HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, & etc. are run on the new engine called "Source."

In terms of PC requirements, there's quite a difference between running a performance rig geared for CS 1.6 versus CS:S. I just wanted to have you clarify what sorts of games you intend to use the computer for ... as a graphics card which can pull you through CS 1.6 may not be able to pull you through CS:S (or HL2).

yes,yes im sorry.

Do you think i'll be able to to pull out 100+fpx with one smoke in cs:S??
in 1.6, i know that you can for sure.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2006 9:09:14 PM

You would need at least a Geforce 7600GT to get 100+ FPS in source (probably more like a 7900GT) with good quality graphics options enabled. But like an earlier poster said, all you need to get is 60. There is no difference between 60fps, and 100fps when gaming.
!