Windows Vista NO DirectX 10 in first public release......

ICE35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
There is going to be about 3 versions of Vista all but one will be DirectX10 compliant......................................Don't hold your breath. To much DirextX10 Bull shit give me a break already!!!

ICE35

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
This months Maximum PC mag had an artical on windows Vista.
stating only 1 of the versions will be DirectX 10 compliant and its name will be differant then vista....

Maximum PC. LOL! :roll:

There was a time when it was cutting edge, but it's about 2-3 months behind the curve now, and far from an authority on Vista. I used to subscribe (all the way up to Dec'05), but cancelled once it was getting quite clear they were about 3-4 months behind HKEpc and The InQ for rumours and some fact, and they trailed all the major sites by 2-3 months for everything hardware related, especially if it was graphics, where new drivers or even new hardware made their articles obsolete by the time they hit the stands. Reading about the X1800/GF7800 when the X1900 is already in stores, or the GF7800 when the GF7900 and 7600 are making waves on the .net just doesn't make you want to renew your subscription for what used to be a KickAss mag, and now is only a 5 at best, heck CPU mag goes into more technical detail nowadays.

I suggest you read the Extremetech article at their site for a more recent view, and even then, we won't know the final number of version until Vista finally ships. I can see there being at least half a dozen, and if they do segment like they say they will and support 32 bit all the way to business server class in the consumer package, I'd suspect the total variations of Vista closer to double digits.

Even if very narrowed down for marketing for a focused push 3 version for the non-enterprise version alone seems a tight fit.

That would essentially make it 32 bit version, 64bit version low end 64bit high end, and even that's unlikely because I'd suspect they're going to have a media PC style version for people who want more than basic, but don't need hardcore networking or virtualization support.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
8O Ahhh, do you guys realize that paper magazine issues have a 2-3 month lead time. So yes, the most current info will be online. If Tom's had a paper edition sent to your mailbox then they would have the exact same problem. I sub to MaxPC for the good information. Gates has even suggested Vista will be later, or might cut out even more features to ship on time. I won't even bother to read a Vista article (paper or online) until early December when it get's closer to shipment.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Anyway, I may have read this somwhere but don't remember where that the Aero Glass effect in Vista actully requires DirectX 10 anyway. please correct me if im wrong
No, there are beta versions of Vista that people have, and run full Aero with cards like X1300.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Microsoft has already told everyone Aero uses DirectX 9. And looking at my MSDN product key list there's 4 versions of Vista. Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Vista is also not going to have the much touted WINFS file system as they initially stated...it will be an option to upgrade to later...

WINFS was axed a bit ago... They are saying "maybe we will use it for SQL Server".

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Either way, the way I'm seeing it, the only reason to upgrade to Vista is for DX10. Sure they have cool effects, increased security, yadda yadda yadda, but for the 200 bucks or so that I'll have to pay, definitely not worth it.

However, the new revamped microsoft games look enticing :D

Spaceham

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I read that it wouldn't work on `Turbo Cache` based cards...I have an 6200LE (With `TURBO CHACHE` [said in a deep authorative voice making it sound like it's something cool!]) and I have the Vista beta...and I can't get any 3d windows anywhere so it must be true!

[Actualy it might not...I just don't know how to turn it on :D ]