Help with Cluster SetUp

Hi forum friends.

As part of a future clustering implemetation in my work,
i'm developing a simulated 2 cluster nodes using VMWARE
(before do the real job, of course). I have the W2K White
Papers, etc.

My question is: how can i setup the 2 nodes without a
real/shared storage? All documents and papers point that a
physical share storage is 100% needed in order to get the
cluster up and running (i know that). But... could be a
workaround for this and setup the cluster without a
physical disk array? just VMWARE?...

Any help/suggestions will be very appreciated,

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about help cluster setup

    Joe,

    Shared storage is required for a working cluster.

    If you want to simulate shared storage in VMWARE, have a look at the
    following web page for some very helpful tips:

    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ESXCluster.pdf

    Regards,
    John

    "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi forum friends.
    >
    > As part of a future clustering implemetation in my work,
    > i'm developing a simulated 2 cluster nodes using VMWARE
    > (before do the real job, of course). I have the W2K White
    > Papers, etc.
    >
    > My question is: how can i setup the 2 nodes without a
    > real/shared storage? All documents and papers point that a
    > physical share storage is 100% needed in order to get the
    > cluster up and running (i know that). But... could be a
    > workaround for this and setup the cluster without a
    > physical disk array? just VMWARE?...
    >
    > Any help/suggestions will be very appreciated,
    >
    > Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thanks for reply.

    I found this link too and i would like to share with you:

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268_11-5034801.html

    I was able to follow each steps till the cluster set up.
    When finish, i recieved an error indicating that cluster
    service could not start. And since then... i can't give
    any step ahead...i don't know why the cluster service
    can't start

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    What is the error?

    > Thanks for reply.
    >
    > I found this link too and i would like to share with you:
    >
    > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268_11-5034801.html
    >
    > I was able to follow each steps till the cluster set up.
    > When finish, i recieved an error indicating that cluster
    > service could not start. And since then... i can't give
    > any step ahead...i don't know why the cluster service
    > can't start

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thanks for reply John.

    This is the error:
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint
    mapper.

    I must say that i'm able to see/ping/resolve machines
    between 'em.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    That's a generic RPC error.

    A couple questions...Did you try a reboot? Is the RPC service
    enabled/started? Did you service pack the cluster nodes? Are the nodes
    members of a domain?

    If this doesn't help, send the last 20 or so lines of the cluster.log so we
    can see if there's any hint in there.

    > Thanks for reply John.
    >
    > This is the error:
    > There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint
    > mapper.
    >
    > I must say that i'm able to see/ping/resolve machines
    > between 'em.

Windows