The pillow-lady...

Last response: in Video Games
October 27, 2004 4:59:44 AM

Just noticed this little joke. In Balmora, there's a woman who's having a
rat infestation problem. It's the first quest you get at the Fighter's
Guild. You might notice, if you look around her place, that she seems to
have an inordinate number of pillows in her house. There's about a dozen or
so on the bed, more scattered on the floor, and then when you go into the
storage room upstairs, there's scores upon scores of pillows inside the
various baskets and crates up there. Okay, so it's a little bit quirky.
The real funny part I didn't see until much later. There's an island in the
Sheogorad area, with a cave on it. The cave is called "Vas", and one of the
Ald'ruhn Fighters Guild quests sends you up there to help some guy with a
necromancer in the cave. However, if you look on the east side of this
island, you'll notice a shipwreck. Explore the ship, and you'll discover it
contains a very large shipment of pillows, and the ship's ledger in the
captain's quarters indicate that it's destination was none other than our
friend with the rats in Balmora. It sort of makes me curious what would
happen if you were to collect all of those pillows and deliver them to the
lady, who's probably worried sick about them... (Didn't have enough
inventory left to carry them at the time, and there's far more valuable
things around there than pillows I could be carting around, but still...)

(And I was beginning to think the game designers didn't have a sense of
humor...)

More about : pillow lady

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:05:16 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Just noticed this little joke. In Balmora, there's a woman who's having a
> rat infestation problem. It's the first quest you get at the Fighter's
> Guild. You might notice, if you look around her place, that she seems to
> have an inordinate number of pillows in her house. There's about a dozen or
> so on the bed, more scattered on the floor, and then when you go into the
> storage room upstairs, there's scores upon scores of pillows inside the
> various baskets and crates up there. Okay, so it's a little bit quirky.
> The real funny part I didn't see until much later. There's an island in the
> Sheogorad area, with a cave on it. The cave is called "Vas", and one of the
> Ald'ruhn Fighters Guild quests sends you up there to help some guy with a
> necromancer in the cave. However, if you look on the east side of this
> island, you'll notice a shipwreck. Explore the ship, and you'll discover it
> contains a very large shipment of pillows, and the ship's ledger in the
> captain's quarters indicate that it's destination was none other than our
> friend with the rats in Balmora. It sort of makes me curious what would
> happen if you were to collect all of those pillows and deliver them to the
> lady, who's probably worried sick about them... (Didn't have enough
> inventory left to carry them at the time, and there's far more valuable
> things around there than pillows I could be carting around, but still...)
>
> (And I was beginning to think the game designers didn't have a sense of
> humor...)

*Twiddles thumbs* well I guess I can take a 10 min break from some code
to go and find out what happens if you deliver the pillows ;)
It seems you have to do this before you do the cave rat quest for the
fighters guild so the pillow topic appears, I had to use the console to
'Addtopic "Pillow Shipment"' on her (After you have picked up the
invoice from the ship), but as a reward she gives you an extra-comfy
pillow!!!! wwwoooow AND she lets you keep the 40 pillows...yeah ok, time
well spent? maybe not.

~Cameron
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:25:38 AM

Cameron wrote:
> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Just noticed this little joke. In Balmora, there's a woman who's
>> having a
>> rat infestation problem. It's the first quest you get at the Fighter's
>> Guild. You might notice, if you look around her place, that she seems to
>> have an inordinate number of pillows in her house. There's about a
>> dozen or
>> so on the bed, more scattered on the floor, and then when you go into the
>> storage room upstairs, there's scores upon scores of pillows inside the
>> various baskets and crates up there. Okay, so it's a little bit quirky.
>> The real funny part I didn't see until much later. There's an island
>> in the
>> Sheogorad area, with a cave on it. The cave is called "Vas", and one
>> of the
>> Ald'ruhn Fighters Guild quests sends you up there to help some guy with a
>> necromancer in the cave. However, if you look on the east side of this
>> island, you'll notice a shipwreck. Explore the ship, and you'll
>> discover it
>> contains a very large shipment of pillows, and the ship's ledger in the
>> captain's quarters indicate that it's destination was none other than our
>> friend with the rats in Balmora. It sort of makes me curious what would
>> happen if you were to collect all of those pillows and deliver them to
>> the
>> lady, who's probably worried sick about them... (Didn't have enough
>> inventory left to carry them at the time, and there's far more valuable
>> things around there than pillows I could be carting around, but still...)
>>
>> (And I was beginning to think the game designers didn't have a sense of
>> humor...)
>>

> *Twiddles thumbs* well I guess I can take a 10 min break from some code
> to go and find out what happens if you deliver the pillows ;)
> It seems you have to do this before you do the cave rat quest for the
> fighters guild so the pillow topic appears, I had to use the console to
> 'Addtopic "Pillow Shipment"' on her (After you have picked up the
> invoice from the ship), but as a reward she gives you an extra-comfy
> pillow!!!! wwwoooow AND she lets you keep the 40 pillows...yeah ok, time
> well spent? maybe not.
>
> ~Cameron

Oooh, update, you get a message when you rest saying something along the
lines of, your sleep is very restful on your extra comfy pillow, not
sure if this actually does anything though, from the look of forums
apparently not. :)

~Cameron
October 27, 2004 4:31:02 PM

> Oooh, update, you get a message when you rest saying something along the
> lines of, your sleep is very restful on your extra comfy pillow, not
> sure if this actually does anything though, from the look of forums
> apparently not. :)
>
> ~Cameron

Perhaps restoration is quicker or something when using it.

Maybe less hours pass when you rest?

--
Cookie McCrumble

www.whateverhappenedtomysocks.co.uk

Some folk are only alive because murder is illegal.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 4:31:03 PM

Cookie McCrumble <cookiemccrumble@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [Cameron wrote:]
>
>> Oooh, update, you get a message when you rest saying something along
>> the lines of, your sleep is very restful on your extra comfy pillow,
>> not sure if this actually does anything though, from the look of forums
>> apparently not. :)
>
> Perhaps restoration is quicker or something when using it.
>
> Maybe less hours pass when you rest?

Nope -- as said here, the messagebox is the only function of the pillow's
attached script:

http://mwsource.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&t=2121

--

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real
information available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:45:24 PM

> *Twiddles thumbs* well I guess I can take a 10 min break from some code
> to go and find out what happens if you deliver the pillows ;)
> It seems you have to do this before you do the cave rat quest for the
> fighters guild so the pillow topic appears, I had to use the console to
> 'Addtopic "Pillow Shipment"' on her (After you have picked up the
> invoice from the ship), but as a reward she gives you an extra-comfy
> pillow!!!! wwwoooow AND she lets you keep the 40 pillows...yeah ok, time
> well spent? maybe not.

Heh. I would drop the pillows one by one all over her apartment until the
place was so full of them you couldn't see anything. I wonder if she minds
a little mildew...
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:51:38 PM

> Oooh, update, you get a message when you rest saying something along the
> lines of, your sleep is very restful on your extra comfy pillow, not
> sure if this actually does anything though, from the look of forums
> apparently not. :)

Makes me curious as to whether regular pillows have an actual game function
as well. I always thought they were purely decorative game items, like the
various cups, bowls, plates, silverware, baskets, vases, bottles, etc. that
seem to be found lying around all over the place. The only use I've ever
found for them was to steal them and sell them, but they're worth so little
that it's really not worth the effort.

(One of my favorite stupid tricks was to go upstairs at one of the vendor's
places (forget which city) and steal everything I could get my hands on
without being caught. I then went to the vendor in the building next door
and sold him all of the loot. Then, to be fair, I went upstairs in HIS
shop, stole all his stuff, and sold it to the first guy. Wasn't very much
money, but for a young newbie character, it did help a bit.)
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:58:07 AM

> *Twiddles thumbs* well I guess I can take a 10 min break from some code
> to go and find out what happens if you deliver the pillows ;)
> It seems you have to do this before you do the cave rat quest for the
> fighters guild so the pillow topic appears, I had to use the console to
> 'Addtopic "Pillow Shipment"' on her (After you have picked up the
> invoice from the ship), but as a reward she gives you an extra-comfy
> pillow!!!! wwwoooow AND she lets you keep the 40 pillows...yeah ok, time
> well spent? maybe not.

Heh. Just went and got my own extra-comfy pillow. For the record, you
don't need to bring back all those pillows at all. Just bring the invoice.
I still had to do that "AddTopic" thing. I don't know if it would be
unnecessary if you did it before the rat-mission, but it seems to me that
it's pretty far from likely that anybody would ever see that shipwreck
before they did the rat quest, (unless they were doing it intentionally,
just for this purpose) since they're both locations that you visit while
working for the Fighter's Guild, and most people would likely do the first
quest for Balmora long before they started working for Ald'ruhn. It may be
that they left the topic de-activated intentionally, to make it so only
people who knew the trick could get it. Of course, that would pretty much
screw anybody using the X-box version, since you need to use the console.
Weird.

Now I'm wondering though, if maybe this prevents you from having those
disturbing dreams. Probably not, as those are (I assume) key to the plot.
But the way it says your sleep is very restful, it would seem odd to be
disturbed by nightmares. I also wonder what happens when your sleep is
interupted, either by assassins, or just other nearby critters. Will have
to wait until that happens, so I'll be wasting 1 unit of encumberance for a
while...
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 3:09:19 PM

> Now I'm wondering though, if maybe this prevents you from having those
> disturbing dreams. Probably not, as those are (I assume) key to the plot.
> But the way it says your sleep is very restful, it would seem odd to be
> disturbed by nightmares. I also wonder what happens when your sleep is
> interupted, either by assassins, or just other nearby critters. Will have
> to wait until that happens, so I'll be wasting 1 unit of encumberance for
> while...

Now, this may be just a coincidence, but for some reason, I've noticed that
ever since I got the Extra-Comfy pillow, I haven't been attacked by
assassins while sleeping. Is it just luck? I have been interupted by
lesser creatures, scribs and rats and such. But no assassins. If that's
because of the pillow, then it is a pretty useful item indeed...
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:42:17 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> > Now I'm wondering though, if maybe this prevents you from having those
> > disturbing dreams. Probably not, as those are (I assume) key to the
plot.
> > But the way it says your sleep is very restful, it would seem odd to be
> > disturbed by nightmares. I also wonder what happens when your sleep is
> > interupted, either by assassins, or just other nearby critters. Will
have
> > to wait until that happens, so I'll be wasting 1 unit of encumberance
for
> > while...
>
> Now, this may be just a coincidence, but for some reason, I've noticed
that
> ever since I got the Extra-Comfy pillow, I haven't been attacked by
> assassins while sleeping. Is it just luck? I have been interupted by
> lesser creatures, scribs and rats and such. But no assassins. If that's
> because of the pillow, then it is a pretty useful item indeed...

Coincidence I imagine - the assassins weren't added until tribunal, and the
pillow quest existed before they did. Just wishful thinking i reckon.
I might be wrong though, they may have updated the quest.

--

!