Write Casche not turning off

I am having a problem with SQl locking up and MS
recommends turning off the write casche off. I have done
this on the controller card and through the controller
Adaptec software. Howver, I then go to Windows and turn
it off and I go back, it is turned back on again. Windows
is ot allowing the casche to be turned off. Is there a
hot fix for this? I am running Win Server 2000 w SP4 and
SQL 2000 with the latest SP

You mat to refer this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;332023
From the article....
Microsoft SQL Server uses FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH extensively on local
database data, log files, and backup files. Local database data may include
data on SCSI drives and SAN drives, but not data on NAS drives. If the Power
Protected Storage feature is not enabled on hardware that protects its
write-through cache, SQL Server's performance can be affected during the
checkpoint process of a large database.
When the Write Cache Enabled option is configured for a disk device in
Device Manager, two things occur:
a.. A command to turn on or turn off Write Caching is sent to the disk
device.
b.. A registry value is saved, which the disk driver uses to determine
whether or not to issue write-cache-management commands (Flush,
Write-Through) to the disk.
--
Van Thothathri
Windows Clustering

"Robert Miller" <bob@rvii.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with SQl locking up and MS
> recommends turning off the write casche off. I have done
> this on the controller card and through the controller
> Adaptec software. Howver, I then go to Windows and turn
> it off and I go back, it is turned back on again. Windows
> is ot allowing the casche to be turned off. Is there a
> hot fix for this? I am running Win Server 2000 w SP4 and
> SQL 2000 with the latest SP

You may want to refer this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;332023
From the article....
Microsoft SQL Server uses FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH extensively on local
database data, log files, and backup files. Local database data may include
data on SCSI drives and SAN drives, but not data on NAS drives. If the Power
Protected Storage feature is not enabled on hardware that protects its
write-through cache, SQL Server's performance can be affected during the
checkpoint process of a large database. When the Write Cache Enabled option
is configured for a disk device in Device Manager, two things occur:
a.. A command to turn on or turn off Write Caching is sent to the disk
device.
b.. A registry value is saved, which the disk driver uses to determine
whether or not to issue write-cache-management commands (Flush,
Write-Through) to the disk.

--
Van Thothathri
Windows Clustering
High Availability Microsoft Enterprise Server Products
rights."
Use of included script samples, if any, are subject to the terms specified
at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

"Robert Miller" <bob@rvii.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with SQl locking up and MS
> recommends turning off the write casche off. I have done
> this on the controller card and through the controller
> Adaptec software. Howver, I then go to Windows and turn
> it off and I go back, it is turned back on again. Windows
> is ot allowing the casche to be turned off. Is there a
> hot fix for this? I am running Win Server 2000 w SP4 and
> SQL 2000 with the latest SP

TRENDING THREADS