Incremental WAN Migration from Frame to Point to Point VPN

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.wan (More info?)

Hi,

We are migrating our WAN from a BellSouth Frame Relay to CBeyond Point
to Point VPN. Our WAN configuration is hub and spoke.

We want to migrate our locations incremently as opposed to all at once.

CBeyond's engineer tells me that they do not have a way to tie their
service into the frame for an incremental migration and the migration
will need to happen all at one time.

Any ideas how I can migrate one location to CBeyond at a time while
other locations remain on the frame?

Thanks for your help!

krw1968 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are migrating our WAN from a BellSouth Frame Relay to CBeyond Point
> to Point VPN. Our WAN configuration is hub and spoke.
>
> We want to migrate our locations incremently as opposed to all at once.
>
> CBeyond's engineer tells me that they do not have a way to tie their
> service into the frame for an incremental migration and the migration
> will need to happen all at one time.
>
> Any ideas how I can migrate one location to CBeyond at a time while
> other locations remain on the frame?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Should be very easy, actually. You need to leave the frame relay up at
the hub site during the migration, of course, but nothing special would
really need to be done other than maybe playing with your internal
routing tables a bit.

At one point here, I had some remote sites on frame relay, while others
were on pt to pt T1's, while others were on VPN. All hub/spoke.

Simplest would be to leave the router you are using for frame relay in
place, and as you migrate sites off of the frame to the dsl pt to pt,
simply delete the frame relay route to the site (assuming you use static
routes. If dynamic, the route will go away automaticaly once the frame
relay is down at the site). Then simply add a static route on the router
for the site that points to the router you use for the vpn pt to pt
connections.

Frankly, this is so simple I don't undertand what part the providers
and the original poster think is difficult or a mystery.