Sign in with
Your question

Conroe Setup, 5000+ Budget. NO bottlenecks. Plz Critique.

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2006 6:26:06 AM

Hey, i love putting computers together and gaming is a great way for me to lose stress. I love online gaming but future games like Crysis make me want something future proof, I know directX10 is coming but im worried about Windows VISTA performence because I have a feeling its going to be buggy and not as realiable as XP PRO until many patches come out so ive decided to put together something that has no bottlenecks and is just going to be a blazing fast machine.

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557X6800 - Retail
$999.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
$269.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
$467.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item...
Lian Li V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case -
$279.99

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
$289.99

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
Asetek WaterChill KT03A-12VX
$249.99

Acer AL2423Wdr Silver/Black 24" 6ms GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor
$709.99

XFX PVT71UZDF9 Geforce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Xtreme Video Card
$609.00

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI T1KW-4E EPS12V 1000Watts Power Supply 100 - 240V UL/ULC/CE/TUV
$499.99

Anything u guys think of adjusting or modifying please let me know, im not a big overclocker i just want very good temps and long lasting parts.
Thank you for your time.
July 31, 2006 6:51:56 AM

*claps*

Love the case man, chic for sure.

Screw Vista, I'd like to play some XP on it ... see how long it takes to boot windows.

Half a second? :oops: 
July 31, 2006 6:56:13 AM

Quote:
Hey, i love putting computers together and gaming is a great way for me to lose stress. I love online gaming but future games like Crysis make me want something future proof, I know directX10 is coming but im worried about Windows VISTA performence because I have a feeling its going to be buggy and not as realiable as XP PRO until many patches come out so ive decided to put together something that has no bottlenecks and is just going to be a blazing fast machine.

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557X6800 - Retail
$999.99

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
$269.99

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
$467.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item...
Lian Li V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case -
$279.99

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
$289.99

Asetek WaterChill KT03A-12VX
$249.99

Acer AL2423Wdr Silver/Black 24" 6ms GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor
$709.99

XFX PVT71UZDF9 Geforce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Xtreme Video Card
$609.00

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI T1KW-4E EPS12V 1000Watts Power Supply 100 - 240V UL/ULC/CE/TUV
$499.99

Anything u guys think of adjusting or modifying please let me know, im not a big overclocker i just want very good temps and long lasting parts.
Thank you for your time.

Wow, looks nice. I would say that you need a different moniter. 6ms is alittle high for a gaming LCD, I would go for a good 2ms, but 3ms and 4ms would do fine as well. Can't think of any good ones of the top of my head, but viewsonic has some good LCD's. To tired to get you links sorry =(.

Everything else looks good I guess. Wish I had a 5000+ budget =).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 31, 2006 7:45:23 AM

You need to up your budget for the X6800 - they are retailing for a couple of hundred dollars more.

You are waasting yuor money on that RAM if you are as you say not a big overlocker.

Get a big second hdd for storage puposes - 150gb is nothing these days once you get some games installed and also movies etc.

Consider the X1950XTX instead, as that can run HDR with AA. Even on a 24" monitor, AA still helps.
July 31, 2006 8:22:03 AM

Given the associated performance increase this would gain (in all areas of computing) I'd be inclined to suggest 2 of those Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration. They will seriously burn at bootup, loading games, video/audio editing etc.

Its riskier (obviously if one hard drive fails then the system fails) You could then have a spare, larger, cheaper HDD to store files for backup.

Or technically you could have 4x150gb Raptors in RAID0+1 so that you have speed AND redundancy. But that would just cost $$$$!
July 31, 2006 9:17:57 AM

My only issue with Conroe right now is the lack of serious high-end motherboards with SLI, preferably with the nForce 590 SLI chipset Intel edition. No sign of any yet and I personally am planning to upgrade when that is released. The only one right now is Asus A5N32 SLI SE (nForce 4)but no one seems to have any in stock and it's costing more than $250. Your current mobo choice should theoretically run with the 7950GX2 since that is effectively a single card solution but questions remain how well the 7950GX2 runs in a non-SLI-compatible mobo on the new Nvidia 9-series drivers.
July 31, 2006 9:47:30 AM

With that kind of budget I think i would go with a system from alienware or a similar ultra quality system builder. I configured the Area-51 model to your specs and even added a 250gb extra HDD and it will cost you a cool 3348$. I think that's even less than the total of the individual parts you listed, plus you get unbeatable technical assistance if you should ever need it. No risk of incompatibility, DOA parts etc will save your nerves. The only thing you lose is the feeling of putting your rig together with your own hands, it's up to you ;) 
July 31, 2006 10:16:38 AM

Quote:
With that kind of budget I think i would go with a system from alienware or a similar ultra quality system builder. I configured the Area-51 model to your specs and even added a 250gb extra HDD and it will cost you a cool 3348$. I think that's even less than the total of the individual parts you listed, plus you get unbeatable technical assistance if you should ever need it. No risk of incompatibility, DOA parts etc will save your nerves. The only thing you lose is the feeling of putting your rig together with your own hands, it's up to you ;) 

I was quite suprised at how good value alienware actually are when you get to the £1800+ price bracket. They really are quite good value at the very high end.
July 31, 2006 10:30:05 AM

If you want Windows to load fast, then you need atleast 2x Raptor in Raid0... Everything is loaded from the harddrive so why don´t you buy atleast 2 or even 4 Raptors and put them into Raid0. You will gain so much perfomance!
July 31, 2006 10:32:09 AM

Quote:
If you want Windows to load fast, then you need atleast 2x Raptor in Raid0... Everything is loaded from the harddrive so why don´t you buy atleast 2 or even 4 Raptors and put them into Raid0. You will gain so much perfomance!

The performance increase a raptor gives you over a decent 7200rpm 16mb cache drive is barely noticable. And for the increased price is no way worth it.

If you really want the ultimate in hard drive speed, get a SCSI setup. Some SCSI drives can run at 15000rpm (i think).
July 31, 2006 10:33:56 AM

If you put two Raptors in Raid0, then you will see a very big perfomance increase!!! (Like I said before...)
July 31, 2006 10:36:25 AM

Yes but if you place 2 x 7200rpm drives in a RAID array you will see a massive performance increase. It's all relative.

But i truly believe for the 1/2% performance you gain from spending 50% or so more on a Raptor over a standard drive is not worth it. The numbers speak for themselves tbh.
July 31, 2006 11:35:08 AM

Yes, I myself have 2x 7200rpms in Raid0 and that is enough for me...
July 31, 2006 11:41:52 AM

I have a Raptor 74GB, and Windows boots so quickly it's insane. It wouldn't be nearly as fast as on a 7200RPM drive.

As a reference - I have Windows XP Pro on the Raptor, and Fedora Core 5 on one of my 7200RPMs. Windows boots much faster, even though Linux is a lighter OS. I know it's not a real comparison, but there is a tangible difference.
July 31, 2006 12:28:26 PM

Quote:
You need to up your budget for the X6800 - they are retailing for a couple of hundred dollars more.

You are waasting yuor money on that RAM if you are as you say not a big overlocker.

Get a big second hdd for storage puposes - 150gb is nothing these days once you get some games installed and also movies etc.

Consider the X1950XTX instead, as that can run HDR with AA. Even on a 24" monitor, AA still helps.

are you kidding me, even the 7950 cards can't run HDR and AA? Is Nvidia asleep at the wheel?? that's old news for ATI. Unbelievable. I think Nvidia is only surviving because of a general conception of their "gaming superiority" which does not exist.

btw, to the person who was recommending a lower ms response time for the monitor, I'm not sure there is yet a widescreen format 21"+ monitor with 2ms?

I did not look up the monitor specs, but you may want to ensure it has a native resolution of 1900x1080, for watching HD video without any scaling in the future. If you're spending $700 on a monitor, it better be able to accomplish what you'll be using it for in 2+ years with perfect clarity.
July 31, 2006 12:45:02 PM

WOW !!! That's fast !!!
July 31, 2006 12:53:50 PM

The 975X may support Conroe, but it does not support the new latency reducing feature that which supports on the 965 chipset series, its a waste of its power.
July 31, 2006 1:20:41 PM

Quote:
the new latency reducing feature that which supports on the 965 chipset series, its a waste of its power.

first of all, what the hell does that mean? and second, i've not heard of this "new latency reducing feature," provide a link. so far all comparisons of the 975x and 965 chipset motherboards i've seen showed that they are pretty equivalent, with the 975x having better drivers and being a better OC.
July 31, 2006 1:51:17 PM

Quote:
Honstly, that 1KW PC Power & Cooling PSU
is obsolete now.

Do you even listen to yourself?
July 31, 2006 4:51:12 PM

Few questions and responses, Im not big on storing useless data on my computer ill prob just get an External harddrive for everything that i dont need. The reason im not just going to go Alienware or VoodooPC is i feel i still get higher quality parts if i choose them all myself i mean to me it feels they dont use the highest quality ram or motherboard plus you do pay a bit more for installation and the product name, its like buying a BWM.

Second, my question is how is getting two rapters in RAID faster than just a single rapter running my OS and games? What makes the performence boost? Like DaveUK said if 1 fails they both go and i believe when running in RAID the harddrives are more likely to fail.

I did see the Gigabyte I-RAM aditya and it is impressive but its just not practical at the moment, They need to create one that takes advantage of higher bandwidth than PCI, Switch to PCI-X.

octop8 - When you say it doesnt work with SLI are u talking about a Software issue? or a Hardware. ALso in terms of performence is the 1950XTX in Crossfire which isnt out yet but i am keeping my eye out for it, Better than the 7950X2 x 2 in SLI which is QUAD? my thinking is maybe the 7950x2 in SLI=Quad is better for me because im running resolutions in excess of 1900x1200 widescreen. BUt Crossfire gives me better image quality because they can do HDR and AA at the same time, but can it handle it in terms of 30+ FPS.

I agree with YourMothersAnAstronaut, falsterbo. I cant imagine something spinning at 10,000 RPM and having Write speeds and Read speeds 2-4 MS faster than a 7200 RPM harddrive being just minimal increase overall i think the price justifys performence. But what would it take to run SCSI on my Current setup if i choose to get one? Does anyone here have any experience with SCSI and is it really worth it for a 15,000 RPM?

torque79 - you are right, i should be worried about the monitor being one of the most important...Obviously/expensive part of the set-up. Ive been hearing alot about Mouse Lag translating from the actual movement of the mouse to the actual screen or is it the monitor missing a few frames. I read somewhere that LCD monitors miss a few frames compared to CRT monitors..Also have any of you heard of SED Technology for flat screens? http://www.cnet.com/5208-10602-0-10.html?forumID=105&th...
I was wondering maybe i should wait to do any of this because technology when games like Crysis do come out something better, alot of better comes out..BUt that always happens so you could be waiting forever...

SupremeLaw - thanks for the Case info but to me it seems too small for what i have planned, larger to me is better to fit all the components especially watercooling.

WaterCooling brings me my next questions...Has anyone here worked with it? How is the reliability and maintenance for it? and has anyone here heard about the MetalCooling using nano technology? This to me seems alot better since metal conducts heat 100x better than water so anyone have any news on that?

SupremeLaw - the reason why i choose that PSU 1KW PC Power & Cooling PSU is because its a futureproof investment, the next round of VideoCards are gonna be 200watts each which is sick plus everything else having SLI or Crossfire demands alot of power.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to read this and i hope you guys are gaining as much information as i am.
July 31, 2006 5:24:19 PM

Be careful, the link to the water cooling you supplied does NOT support 775 chips.
But this one does:
If that link doesn't work it is a Cooler Master Aquagate Liquid Cooling System RL-HUC-E8U1
I noticed this as I'm building a very similar system right now myself.
Good Luck!
July 31, 2006 5:43:34 PM

Small heat issue that you will almost certainly run into unless you are careful. The Lian Li V2100A is one of the cases with an inverted motherboard (I'm sure you know this). While this is extremely cool (I myself own a modded V2000) it does present a problem with the heatpipe used on the Northbridge of the ASUS mobo you have listed. When heatpipes are inverted their efficiency goes down tremendously, and I would hate to burn out my brand new $230 motherboard. If you are still going to watercool, you can remove the heatpipe and add a chipset water block, but this still presents one problem.

The heatpipe on the northbridge chip is connected to a passive heatsink which is mounted on the CPU voltage regulator. This VR needs to be cooled as well, or the VR and/or the CPU could be damaged. You would need to install some sore of aftermarket passive heatsink on top of this VR in order for this solution to work effectively.

Good Luck...
July 31, 2006 9:10:31 PM

Quote:

octop8 - When you say it doesnt work with SLI are u talking about a Software issue? or a Hardware. ALso in terms of performence is the 1950XTX in Crossfire which isnt out yet but i am keeping my eye out for it, Better than the 7950X2 x 2 in SLI which is QUAD? my thinking is maybe the 7950x2 in SLI=Quad is better for me because im running resolutions in excess of 1900x1200 widescreen. BUt Crossfire gives me better image quality because they can do HDR and AA at the same time, but can it handle it in terms of 30+ FPS.

At the moment it is impossible to run 2 x 7950x2 due to nvidia's drivers not being properly configured yet. They're leaving quad sli as an Ultra High end toy that only OEM builders are allowed to sell. According to nvidia this is because Quad SLi is too complicated for home users to set up, or something along those lines.
July 31, 2006 11:20:40 PM

Besides the facts presented concerning why RAID 0 is faster than normal, non-RAID, I completely disagree with the previous post (SupremeLaw). He is right about one thing. Most people are wrong about MTBF in RAID 0. Halfling the time is not the correct way to go about calculating this. To understand the actual MTBF, you have to understand the distribution of mean failure times. Manufacturers model MTBF rates as Gaussian (normal or bell curves, if you prefer) random variables and the MTBF is simply the mean of this curve. Therefore, let's just say that the MTBF for your hard drive is 100,000 hours. If the variance of the curve is low (which it's not, but for the sake of argument, let's say it is) then we might say that there is a 25% chance of the drive failing after 90,000 hours and say, a 1% chance of the drive failing after 80,000 hours. If you RAID a pair of these drives, then the first one to fail causes the system to fail, this is true. However, while the actual length of time you could expect to operate the drives without a failure is reduced (probabilistically), it should not be reduced much (given, again, a low variance).

Having said this, most people half the MTBF figure because this assumes the lowest possible MTBF. If the variance is so large that the 1% figure is at 0 hours (and on the upper end 200,000 hours) then this will be true. A more realistic figure for real hard drives is about 75% of the single-drive MTBF. It's a pity that manufacturers don't provide sample variance figures, but that would require more testing (=$).

Even if the jelly bean analogue were true, the probability of drawing exactly one jelly bean from 100 beans in 2 picks is 1.99%.

Just a thought...
August 1, 2006 2:20:55 AM

Thank you for clearing up the hard drive questions and it hope everyone else has learned that RAID in fact can only be beneficial since hard drive failure will occur with or without raid it all depends on manufacture defects or over heating, excess vibration.

THank you guys for your posts, does anyone else have answers to my other questions?
August 1, 2006 8:11:17 AM

Woh...some serious drive down the statistical path...

For what is worth, I prefer to think more in terms of Chaos or , maybe Karma...

On the jelly beans, did you consider if you retunr and the jelly bean you have picked to the jar each time, shook it, and then reached in againg, youmay never ever get the white one.....Demming Funnel Principal....
August 1, 2006 8:27:55 AM

Quote:
At the moment it is impossible to run 2 x 7950x2 due to nvidia's drivers not being properly configured yet. They're leaving quad sli as an Ultra High end toy that only OEM builders are allowed to sell. According to nvidia this is because Quad SLi is too complicated for home users to set up, or something along those lines.

Actually, nvidia now has beta drivers which allow quad sli to be used by the masses. Hurrah
August 1, 2006 8:50:33 AM

I am just curious about a couple of things..... why do you need to spend $5000 USD on a pc? And why do you need a 1KW PSU? Are you buying things just so you can buy them and say that you own these things? You are wasting your money IMO..... but obviously it's your money, so do as you wish with it. If you aren't overclocking, you don't need water cooling, or that memory. Regardless of overclocking or not, you do not need a 1KW psu.... a good 400-500W PSU would work fine. A good one, not some cheap one with crappy 12v output. Speaking from experience..... there is no great benefit from raiding 2 raptors.... 1 is fast enough.... I did not notice any real world increase. You could build a pc for 1/4 to 1/5 of the price and it would play games just the same..... if that is what you want it for..... just trying to save you money.... it's obviously your call though.
August 1, 2006 1:40:57 PM

Quote:

Actually, nvidia now has beta drivers which allow quad sli to be used by the masses. Hurrah

When did that happen? I haven't seen any major articles about it....
August 1, 2006 2:18:32 PM

Get Corsair XMS for your rams and BFG for your graphics card.
August 1, 2006 2:39:38 PM

Well, I might have a few suggestions...

First, as far as the graphics card goes, I might try to look for something that will ostensibly have the best re-sale value in a year or so. The 7950GX2 possibly won't be that, primarily given that it's high value is due almost entirely to it's #1 perforamnce spot; as soon as something tops it, (the X1950XTX won't top it, but come frighteningly close for a single-GPU card) expect the price to come crashing down, and hence, the money you can get out of it; you may be able to spare $5000US+ for a rig now, but every few hundred dollars can help, especially when you KNOW you'll be replacing something soon.

Also, as for the hard drive, Raptors are indeed fast, but now, it seems that their purpose is starting to wear thin; Seagate's Perpendicular Recording drives not only come in sizes of up to 750GB, and cost far less per GB than a Raptor, but provide both read and write performance that gives the Raptor a run for its money; (while absolutely crushing older, non-perpendicular, 7200 RPM drives) I'd certainly go with such a drive, or perhaps a pair of them. (or, heck, a 0+1 or 1+0 RAID array)
August 1, 2006 3:16:15 PM

It may be obselete in gaming comps but in graphics workstations they are a boon and don't even start on servers. Servers need more than 2 PSUs! Sometimes as many as 4! So don't generalize too much. Now I know I'm going to get mauled because this is a gaming comp forum but still... just thought you should know.
August 1, 2006 3:25:34 PM

Quote:
Regardless of overclocking or not, you do not need a 1KW psu.... a good 400-500W PSU would work fine.

Didn't he say he wanted to future-proof for DX-10? A 400 watt PS is not really the best plan for a DX-10 system.

Quote:
Speaking from experience..... there is no great benefit from raiding 2 raptors.... 1 is fast enough.... I did not notice any real world increase.

Could be that your apps don't provide enough demand to expose the RAID0 advantage. Benchmarks clearly show the RAID0 advantage and I cas see it on my video rig.

Quote:
You could build a pc for 1/4 to 1/5 of the price and it would play games just the same.....

Really? You think a $1K system can compete with a $5K system? A $1K system may meet your personal quality standards, but if you want to play demanding games with eye candy on, a $1K system will be lacking compared to a ~$2K or more expensive system. Go for a largish LCD and the differences are greatly exagerated.

Quote:
if that is what you want it for..... just trying to save you money.... it's obviously your call though.

I understand your point and believe that you have taken it too far to the budget extreme given the OP's goal set. But is there anything wrong with someone wanting more computational power than they need right now? I like the approach of building in some future-proofing.
August 1, 2006 3:29:34 PM

Quote:
But what would it take to run SCSI on my Current setup if i choose to get one? Does anyone here have any experience with SCSI and is it really worth it for a 15,000 RPM?

Oy... I do have some experience with SCSI. Now it does give you tremendous performance but it's a little more complicated than IDE or SATA. Now I'm not saying you have to be a genius to figure it out you just need to know a couple things. Now say you want to use that SCSI HDD as a boot disc, well then you'll need to seet its ID at "0" and the controller at "7". Now if you want to use that HDD as a storage drive and have the boot disc somewhere else you need to give the controller "0" and the HDD something else. Preferably 1 so you won't confuse the computer.

If you want 15K rpms then you can go with SAS (Serial Attached SCSI). Now to run this you need a SAS controller card and some SAS HDDs... which you can also hook SATA drives up to the controller if you want.

Now to the reason why SCSIs are faster... no zero-track. Zero-track (I think that's what it's called) is standard in all HDDs except SCSI and SAS. What it is is this... between reads and writes the spindle has to go to the outer edge of the platter... not with the aforementioned.

So if you're willing to spend the money on these HDDs and get some nice performance out of them... go ahead... if not... well then that works too.
August 1, 2006 3:35:53 PM

Also something to consider, the 7950GX2 is not officially compatible with the ASUS P5W DH. Nvidia does not list that mobo as compatible on there website....
August 1, 2006 3:37:41 PM

My suggestion would be to consider a Zalman TNN500AF case, which is cooled by heat pipes and natural convection over the outer panels. It's silent, which may seem like a small deal when you're used to computer noise but is a real delight once you've experienced it.

There are limitations: 100W TDP on the processor, but Conroe runs well under that. Also, not all motherboards are compatible and Zalman's list of motherboards is out of date. Also no capability for dual high-power graphic cards. Power supply is a good 400W one, which is enough for most purposes.
August 1, 2006 3:40:54 PM

There is really no such thing as future proofing.... people might think they ca accomplish this, but the companies make sure that we don't by changing standards. I am pretty sure, that for about $1500 you can build a PC that would play game @ 1600x1200 as well as a $5000 dollar pc. That is my only real point. I just feel that he would be wasting his money, if he wants to game @ that resolution, all he needs is a good monitor, and a good video card. A 1900XT would do it. You can get those refurb for under $300 on newegg. I just don't really think anyone should build a comptuer today based around what they are planning to do a year from now. Maybe you can, but more times than not, you will be out of luck, since standards seem to be changing more and more often as times passes. My suggestion is to build it for what you currently need it for. I just hate to see people throwing money away..... and a $5000 comptuer seems to be a big waste of money, no matter how much you have.... so I will never recommend someone to waste that much money on a computer that they DO NOT need. It's just against my morals..... sorry.

Edit: I probably should have raised the bottom up $500, but my point is not that it can compete in benchmarks..... but that the performance difference would probably not be noticable.

Edit2: I am not saying there is not a performance difference at all.... just saying that unless I benchmarked it..... I didn't really notice it.... and don't think it's worth the price. But.... if you are just in to spending as much as you can..... then by all means.... buy as many of them as you want. And sure the synthetic benchmarks do show a pretty good difference.... but there is a big difference between synthetics and real world.... at least from what I have seen there is.
August 1, 2006 4:28:54 PM

Quote:
There is really no such thing as future proofing....

No guarantees, naturally, but when you KNOW that DX-10 cards are gonna be power hungry, recommending a 400 watt PS is not on target.

Quote:
I am pretty sure, that for about $1500 you can build a PC that would play game @ 1600x1200 as well as a $5000 dollar pc.

Earlier, you set your lower limit at 1/5th of $5k. That's $1K, not $1.5K. Big difference. Huge difference, in fact. Still, $2K is more reasonable for a DX-10-ready game box that runs difficult games well at high res.

Quote:
A 1900XT would do it. You can get those refurb for under $300 on newegg.

You can recommend refurbs if you want. Not interested myself.

Quote:
I just don't really think anyone should build a comptuer today based around what they are planning to do a year from now.

Today, my photo rig has ~300Gb of images on it. Within a year, it will have 350, maybe 380. I'm going to plan for the future if I'm building a box today and have at least 500GB of space allocated. And I'll apply the same logic to power supply planning so a DX-10 purchase will not require a PS upgrade. Etc. You can live in the present and I won't criticize you, but the OP clearly defined the plan and he's looking forward. His budget does not offend my own sensibilities. For example, I don't see the need to go beyond ~$2.5K on a game box, but if he does, it's HIS money.

Quote:
It's just against my morals..... sorry.

Morals? You mean value judgements about a PC purchase?

Quote:
Edit: I probably should have raised the bottom up $500, but my point is not that it can compete in benchmarks..... but that the performance difference would probably not be noticable.

For some folks, benchmarks are very important.

Quote:
Edit2: I am not saying there is not a performance difference at all.... just saying that unless I benchmarked it..... I didn't really notice it.... and don't think it's worth the price.

I see you went to Home Depot and cashed in at the hedge trimmer sale.
August 1, 2006 4:34:04 PM

I just tend to not suggest that people waste money.... EOL.
August 1, 2006 4:52:41 PM

Quote:
I just tend to not suggest that people waste money.... EOL.

And I suggest they don't buy stuff that they will have to replace in 6 months...
August 1, 2006 5:17:33 PM

If you're looking for a no-compromise gaming experience I'd seriously consider a projector. Can't beat a 9ft screen for immersion ;)  Sound is important too so I'd be thinking about good quality hi fi bits and a decent sound card. It's not all about MHz...
August 1, 2006 5:30:14 PM

You know... asetek has some really cool cases that are integrated with their vapochill CPU coolers... just some food for thought.
August 1, 2006 5:51:33 PM

Quote:
If you're looking for a no-compromise gaming experience I'd seriously consider a projector. Can't beat a 9ft screen for immersion ;)  Sound is important too so I'd be thinking about good quality hi fi bits and a decent sound card. It's not all about MHz...

You my friend have just made a very very good point!
August 1, 2006 6:36:12 PM

I agree on the sound quality. At first I used my Power Computing Mac clone with a set of AR Powered Partner speakers and thought they were pretty good. Went along happy for a time, then as an experiment connected the system to a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 portable stereo system, and that really opened my ears. Far beyond "computer speakers" sound. Now I have the PC (my music server) connected to a Sony ES-line preamp and power amp, with Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers. It's a very nice setup. 350GB of Windows lossless music at my fingertips! At least it would be if it weren't a Pentium 4 room heater.
August 1, 2006 6:40:24 PM

Quote:
I agree on the sound quality. At first I used my Power Computing Mac clone with a set of AR Powered Partner speakers and thought they were pretty good. Went along happy for a time, then as an experiment connected the system to a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 portable stereo system, and that really opened my ears. Far beyond "computer speakers" sound. Now I have the PC (my music server) connected to a Sony ES-line preamp and power amp, with Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers. It's a very nice setup. 350GB of Windows lossless music at my fingertips! At least it would be if it weren't a Pentium 4 room heater.

If you think that those speakers are amazing, you should try my Wilson and Benesch ARC speakers with my Audionet SAM V2 Amp and Audionet ART CD player. Then factor in some Nordost cabling and you have pure hifi bliss.

Merely looking at it is enough to make me cream in my pants.

I'll provide some piccies if anyone wants them.
August 2, 2006 1:10:04 AM

Quote:
Merely looking at it is enough to make me cream in my pants. I'll provide some piccies if anyone wants them.

Of your creamed pants? No thanks, sikko!

My dad and I have traveled from time to time to the CES and I always get a kick out of the visual aspects. Like the Dynaudio room for example. ~$200K for a two channel audio system that really didn't sound all that great but it sure looked impressive. Or the $75K pre channel mono amps in the Wilson Audio room. Now THAT rig sounds incredible.
August 2, 2006 1:30:19 AM

Fully agree with LogicSequence. Your proposed Motherboard.....this is a beatiful board. I especially like the remote control unti for on off....

Anyway, it is fairly clear that this is a board designed for Crossfire.

Maybe you should pick up and ATI GPU or 2 ?
!