Your question

Asus M2N Sli Deluxe and Windows XP

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2006 12:23:31 PM

I recently buit a new computer.

Asus M2N Sli Deluxe
AMD 64 3800
SATA II (250) hard drive

On my first Windows install everything went fine. I then update to the latest BIOS and decided to re-install Windows.

Now, every time I try to install Windows it locks up. It starts to load the drivers and then freezes on the screen where it says that it is starting Windows. Just locks up forever and I need to kill the power.

I have the very orgional Windows XP update version. I bought it as soon as it came out. I am wondering if this is the problem?

Do you think I would have better luck if I used a more current version Window XP SP2?

I tried slipstreaming my copy last night but didn't get the cd to boot. I was then to tired to do it again.

What does everyone think?

Thanks
July 31, 2006 1:19:20 PM

Get rid of that AMD+ NVIDIA chipset set up and get an all Intel CPU + Chipset platform? :D  Just kidding!

When I got my socket 939 + NVIDIA Nforce 4 SLI set up a little while ago, I experienced another problem with drivers installation too. When I left the SATA driver floppy inside the floppy drive while booting windows cd, it would later cause errors when I tried F6 and install the drivers. I had to remove the floppy and inserted only when was asked. Lots of others also had problems with the NVIDIA raid+sata drivers while installing windows and they have to do unattended + drivers slipstreaming when installing windows to bypass it.

try this link for the update package:
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

And I recommend using nLite:

http://www.nliteos.com/

to get the slipstreaming done right.
July 31, 2006 3:23:57 PM

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

I think I might be a moron!

I am not istalling the SATA drivers at the begining of windows setup. I probably should do this, eh?
Related resources
August 1, 2006 1:51:55 PM

SP2 can recognize the SATA drives, I believe. SP1, too, although I'm not completely sure. I know the original can't recognize SATA by itself, so you will need drivers.

Or, use a program called EZBoot to create a bootable CD with a splash screen when you boot with the CD in the drive. Just slipstream SP2 into the original disc's files, but then place the files in EZBoot's directory it tells you to use and then create a .iso image. Burn that to a CD, and install it that way, because it will let you boot from that.
August 1, 2006 2:39:38 PM

Thanks for the follow up!

Last night I used nLite (great suggestion by the way) and sliped in SP2 into my version of windows. I also added the SATA Raid drivers from my mother board cd. But, I am not going to construct a RAID I have only on hard drive. I have a couple of questions about this.

1. When I added in the drivers there were two files, sataide and sataraid. In added both drivers to my updated windows. Do I need both (since I am not setting up a RAID)? Or does it matter?

2. A friend was qoing to let me use his version of Windows XP SP2. Will my Key code work with it?

I am going to try this slipstreamed version tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip about nLite. All in all I have learned something.

But if someone could follow up with about my RAID question.
August 1, 2006 2:41:33 PM

Thanks for the follow up!

Last night I used nLite (great suggestion by the way) and sliped in SP2 into my version of windows. I also added the SATA Raid drivers from my mother board cd. But, I am not going to construct a RAID I have only on hard drive. I have a couple of questions about this.

1. When I added in the drivers there were two files, sataide and sataraid. In added both drivers to my updated windows. Do I need both (since I am not setting up a RAID)? Or does it matter?

2. A friend was qoing to let me use his version of Windows XP SP2. Will my Key code work with it?

I am going to try this slipstreamed version tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip about nLite. All in all I have learned something.

But if someone could follow up with about my RAID question.
August 1, 2006 2:52:44 PM

No, it's not necessary, but it couldn't hurt. Having both drivers just means that if you ever want to set up a RAID on a fresh Windows install, you don't need a floppy or a new CD, since the drivers are already there.

It might, or it might not. Try it, there's a good chance it will. I haven't completely figured out how Microsoft does their keys, so it's unpredictable. Some products require the supplied key, others will let you use any that are valid, and a few will let you make one up. I think Windows lets you use any valid key, but you can't activate Windows using a key already in use.

Unless his copy is that version floating around that doesn't require activation...
August 1, 2006 3:07:24 PM

Thanks for advice.

I'll let you know how it goes.
August 1, 2006 6:15:25 PM

For Nvidia chipset, it is neccessary to add both sata and raid drivers. At least that how it was with the nforce 4 sli.
August 2, 2006 11:08:01 AM

Not true. When I installed Windows, I thought I needed them, so I made the floppy and hit F6 and all that. Worked fine.

When my friend got the same motherboard (Asus M2N-SLI, coincidentally), he didn't use the floppy or hit F6 - he just let the installer do its thing, and it worked. Picked up his Western Digital SATA drive (WD2500KS, same as mine) immediately.

So, you don't really need the floppy. But it's nice to have a drive anyway. Makes a BIOS flash much easier.
August 2, 2006 11:59:33 AM

You bring up an interesting point. When I first installed Windows I did the same thing as your friend. I Just istall the OS and add all the drivers later. However, after I updated the BIOS I couldn't re-install windows without installing the SATA Raid drivers first. Windows would just freeze during the instalation phase.
August 2, 2006 12:06:01 PM

Well it worked! I used the program nlite that was mentioned (thanks noblekitty) and slipped streamed SP2 into my version of windows. I then also added the drivers for my mother board (SATA Raid and Ethernet) into the slipstreamed version.

I stared up my rig and everything went fine. I installed windows and did all the updates (in hind sight I should have downloaded them and slipped them in too).

So far all I have installed is Windows, but everything seems to be looking great. Thanks for the advice!

Your feedback was great!

I'll let you know if I have any problems.
August 2, 2006 12:11:26 PM

Very odd. When my friend built his machine, he flashed the BIOS before he installed Windows, like I did - worked fine without the drivers for him.
August 2, 2006 12:37:18 PM

Strange eh? It worked for me too the first time and then after the update, nothing. I coldn't get it to dance at all with out the drivers.
August 2, 2006 7:12:09 PM

Glad it works out ok for you :D 
I guess we both learned something new about windows XP and the nforce 570.
August 4, 2006 1:15:46 PM

Just one last note.

It has been two days and my system has been running like a dream! (touch wood)

Thanks a lot for all your feedback. The success of these forms is do to the time and adive provide from peole like yourselves.

Cheers!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2008 5:11:56 PM

Hey Tanker 3 or anyone,

What ethernet drivers did you use for the msn - sli deluxe? I have tried the nVidia 6.86 and a package from asus and nothing seems to work. If someone could post a link to a driver they know to work I'd appreciate it greatly.
September 16, 2008 10:53:32 PM

1. vista includes the drivers for SATA/RAID on installation, XP doesn't.

2. if you are installing XP with SATA and don't use F6, it will install as an IDE drive with about 1/3 the capacity. to activate SATA, you have to reinstall windows. What happened to me was that I had to install XP as IDE, make the SATA driver 3.5" floppy, and reinstall windows.

3. there's a known issue with the atheros ethernet drivers. after installing, you have to do a CTC RAM memory clear. you can get the driver from Asus' website.
!