XP cannot access to Win2K Server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi all,

I have a Win2K Advanced Server + SP4 with AD installed and a XP Pro client +
SP1a.

My Win2K is a domain controller while my XP is just a standalone client
without joining the domain.

I have the administrator ID with the same password in both PC and normally
my XP can access the to the Win2K shared folder by using this mirror
account. However I do not know why recently I cannot logon by this way. The
Win2K server is logged with :

The logon to account: Administrator
by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
from workstation: WINXPXW
failed. The error code was: 3221225578

and

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: Administrator
Domain: WINXPXW
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: WINXPXW

If I logon from Win2K to the XP client, the result is the same. (But both
administrator ID is OK and did not disabled)

I even try to congfigure the XP to join to the Win2K domain, but it requests
for a Domain ID. No matter I give any valid powerful ID, it always scold
with "Unknown user name or bad password", but I am sure all account password
is correct...

Anyone knows the reason? Thanks!

Karen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

did you remember to put the dns pointing from the xp-client to the dns (ie
the machine running w2k server.... i did that once....
And of course you must set the dns to forward to the isp's dns if you
would like internet connection from your xp-client.

shame on me...

j0hn