Question about printer with Notebook PC

First let me start out with I am a VERY much armature with all things
computer. If this question is dumb, well will not be the first time I asked
one <G>
I have for years wondered if there is some easy way to use a printer with
a Laptop or as they seem to call them now, Notebook computer. I use a
Lexmark X-75. The problem is if I plug the USB in to the PC, it always comes
up as "found new hardware" and goes through the install process. If I use
the driver to install and go through the whole routine it works fine. The
problem is if I disconnect the printer, then try to plug it back in, that's
it, it no longer works. Have tried with the PC on when I un plug, tried with
both printer and PC off, nothing works. the worst part is even if I reload
the driver as the PC asks, it still will not work. The only way it works is
to delete the printer, re start the PC, install the printer, and then it's
fine. This works the same with 2 Notebooks, running XP. The "solution" I
have used for now is I have an old desktop that I hate as it's SOOOOO damn
slow, but I leave it hooked up to the printer, when I want to print
something I put it on a thumb drive, then use the Desk Top to print. If I
need to scan something I scan it put it on the thumb drive then move it to
Notebook. Works, but it's a pain. I have tried asking at a couple stores and
they act like they have no idea what I am talking about. So is there some
simple way to make it so you can plug the printer USB into the Notebook,
print, then unplug with out screwing things up?
If anyone knows I would love to hear. This e-mail addy is good if you want
to try by e-mail.
Thanks

Drivers. You need to make sure you have the right drivers properly
installed to support your USB connected printer. The whole idea behind USB
hardware is that you can plug or unplug it while hot and it is supposed to
work. It sounds like you don't have the USB drivers properly installed.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Drivers. You need to make sure you have the right drivers properly
> installed to support your USB connected printer. The whole idea behind
> USB
> hardware is that you can plug or unplug it while hot and it is supposed to
> work. It sounds like you don't have the USB drivers properly installed.

The USB is as they were when we bought the PC's. They work great for
everything else, digital camera's, MP3 players, thumb drives, and even the
printer works fine IF, you do not try to unplug it, then plug it back in.
That's when it refuses to work unless you remove it and re load it. I tried
it today with a Lexmark z25 that we got when we bought one of the Pc's.
Never had used it. I plugged it in and popped in the install disc. The PC
told me since I was running XP I should not need the disc. Pulled disc out,
PC gave the "found new hardware, and installed the printer, and it worked.
Turned PC off, un plugged printer, turned it back on, plugged printer in,
and same thing, you get a "can not communicate with printer". Same as with
the scanner. I guess I could try calling Microsoft, but I dread doing that.
The last time I tried asking them for some help I got some guy who I could
barely understand, and he seemed to know less than I do, which I did not
think was possible. <G>

As you likely know, USB ported devices are supposed to have their
hardware and drivers designed to be hot swapable, so you can plug them
in or remove them with the computer still running without any difficulties.

How well this has been implemented depends a lot on the manufacturer of
the peripheral. Unfortunately, Lexmark has a reputation with their
inkjet printers of not do a great job of driver functionality.

Make sure you have any patches or updates loaded into your system for
USB ports from the OS, and also that any firmware upgrades for the
printer are installed.

Art

Alex Clayton wrote:

> First let me start out with I am a VERY much armature with all things
> computer. If this question is dumb, well will not be the first time I asked
> one <G>
> I have for years wondered if there is some easy way to use a printer with
> a Laptop or as they seem to call them now, Notebook computer. I use a
> Lexmark X-75. The problem is if I plug the USB in to the PC, it always comes
> up as "found new hardware" and goes through the install process. If I use
> the driver to install and go through the whole routine it works fine. The
> problem is if I disconnect the printer, then try to plug it back in, that's
> it, it no longer works. Have tried with the PC on when I un plug, tried with
> both printer and PC off, nothing works. the worst part is even if I reload
> the driver as the PC asks, it still will not work. The only way it works is
> to delete the printer, re start the PC, install the printer, and then it's
> fine. This works the same with 2 Notebooks, running XP. The "solution" I
> have used for now is I have an old desktop that I hate as it's SOOOOO damn
> slow, but I leave it hooked up to the printer, when I want to print
> something I put it on a thumb drive, then use the Desk Top to print. If I
> need to scan something I scan it put it on the thumb drive then move it to
> Notebook. Works, but it's a pain. I have tried asking at a couple stores and
> they act like they have no idea what I am talking about. So is there some
> simple way to make it so you can plug the printer USB into the Notebook,
> print, then unplug with out screwing things up?
> If anyone knows I would love to hear. This e-mail addy is good if you want
> to try by e-mail.
> Thanks

Just for clarification, are you saying this problem with the loss of
communications happens with all USB devices or just the printers?

Art

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Just for clarification, are you saying this problem with the loss of
> communications happens with all USB devices or just the printers?
>
> Art

Thanks, yes, it's just the Printers. Everything else still works fine. I did
have to get a driver from Lexmark for the X75. The disc that comes with it
is not for XP. I will check the Lexmark Site again see if they have any
offering for this model. I have not looked since I downloaded the driver to
a Zip a couple years ago when I bought the Scanner. I picked the X-75
because it was so cheap, and seems to work just fine, with the exception of
this problem where once you un plug it, that's it. You have to delete it and
re install it. Does the same thing with the Desk top which is also XP. Every
time I have tried plugging into one of the Notebooks, when I plug back into
the Desktop it's the same story, no communication, and only fix seems to be
delete Printer and re install.
Wife has a Printer Scanner set up at work that's another manufacturer,
Cannon I think. I know it was about 3 times as much as the little Lexmark. I
will take one of the Notebooks to her work and see if they can be plugged
into it and work. If that works I guess for the convenience it would be
worth tossing the Lexmark and buying another Scanner.
Thanks.

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Just for clarification, are you saying this problem with the loss of
>> communications happens with all USB devices or just the printers?
>>
>> Art
>>

> Thanks, yes, it's just the Printers. Everything else still works fine. I
> did have to get a driver from Lexmark for the X75. The disc that comes
> with it is not for XP. I will check the Lexmark Site again see if they
> have any offering for this model. I have not looked since I downloaded the
> driver to a Zip a couple years ago when I bought the Scanner. I picked the
> X-75 because it was so cheap, and seems to work just fine, with the
> exception of this problem where once you un plug it, that's it. You have
> to delete it and re install it. Does the same thing with the Desk top
> which is also XP. Every time I have tried plugging into one of the
> Notebooks, when I plug back into the Desktop it's the same story, no
> communication, and only fix seems to be delete Printer and re install.
> Wife has a Printer Scanner set up at work that's another manufacturer,
> Cannon I think. I know it was about 3 times as much as the little Lexmark.
> I will take one of the Notebooks to her work and see if they can be
> plugged into it and work. If that works I guess for the convenience it
> would be worth tossing the Lexmark and buying another Scanner.
> Thanks.

On the Lexmark Site for the X75 it has the driver for XP, which I have and
it also offers this:

Lexmark X75 uninstall clean utility for Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP.
Contact Lexmark at http://support.Lexmark.com for support information on
this file.

What the hell is this? I did not want to download it till I know what's it's
suppose to do. Anyone know?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

It cleans out old registry entries and dlls left over from previous driver
versions and failed installs of current drivers.

"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> It cleans out old registry entries and dlls left over from previous driver
> versions and failed installs of current drivers.

Ok, thanks, I will go ahead and down load it.

This sounds like a driver issue, and I'm sorry to report that I get a
fair number of comments regarding broken or non-functional Lexmark
drivers. There is almost a notoriety with their all in one
printer/scanner models and interfacing them. I don't know where to go
next other than to Lexmark.

Art

Alex Clayton wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>Just for clarification, are you saying this problem with the loss of
>>communications happens with all USB devices or just the printers?
>>
>>Art
>>

> Thanks, yes, it's just the Printers. Everything else still works fine. I did
> have to get a driver from Lexmark for the X75. The disc that comes with it
> is not for XP. I will check the Lexmark Site again see if they have any
> offering for this model. I have not looked since I downloaded the driver to
> a Zip a couple years ago when I bought the Scanner. I picked the X-75
> because it was so cheap, and seems to work just fine, with the exception of
> this problem where once you un plug it, that's it. You have to delete it and
> re install it. Does the same thing with the Desk top which is also XP. Every
> time I have tried plugging into one of the Notebooks, when I plug back into
> the Desktop it's the same story, no communication, and only fix seems to be
> delete Printer and re install.
> Wife has a Printer Scanner set up at work that's another manufacturer,
> Cannon I think. I know it was about 3 times as much as the little Lexmark. I
> will take one of the Notebooks to her work and see if they can be plugged
> into it and work. If that works I guess for the convenience it would be
> worth tossing the Lexmark and buying another Scanner.
> Thanks.

I'm not familiar with it, but the URL they suggest does lead to some
support FAQs and such.

Art

> This sounds like a driver issue, and I'm sorry to report that I get a fair
> number of comments regarding broken or non-functional Lexmark drivers.
> There is almost a notoriety with their all in one printer/scanner models
> and interfacing them. I don't know where to go next other than to
> Lexmark.
>
> Art
>
> Alex Clayton wrote:
>
>> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just for clarification, are you saying this problem with the loss of
>>>communications happens with all USB devices or just the printers?
>>>
>>>Art
>>>

>> Thanks, yes, it's just the Printers. Everything else still works fine. I
>> did have to get a driver from Lexmark for the X75. The disc that comes
>> with it is not for XP. I will check the Lexmark Site again see if they
>> have any offering for this model. I have not looked since I downloaded
>> the driver to a Zip a couple years ago when I bought the Scanner. I
>> picked the X-75 because it was so cheap, and seems to work just fine,
>> with the exception of this problem where once you un plug it, that's it.
>> You have to delete it and re install it. Does the same thing with the
>> Desk top which is also XP. Every time I have tried plugging into one of
>> the Notebooks, when I plug back into the Desktop it's the same story, no
>> communication, and only fix seems to be delete Printer and re install.
>> Wife has a Printer Scanner set up at work that's another manufacturer,
>> Cannon I think. I know it was about 3 times as much as the little
>> Lexmark. I will take one of the Notebooks to her work and see if they can
>> be plugged into it and work. If that works I guess for the convenience it
>> would be worth tossing the Lexmark and buying another Scanner.
>> Thanks.

Ok thanks. I bought this thing because it was so cheap, and I suppose you
get what you pay for. <G>
As I said I will take one of the PC's to work and try it with the one they
have there. If it lets me "plug and play" I will just get another printer.
They are all so cheap these days anyway.