[URGENT] userinit.exe

hi...
I-m posting from debian, but i need to run my windows 2000 adv. serv. again, and soon.
the thing is that i deleted the key value from the registry which refers to userinit.exe
which i think it is located at

then, i rebooted the PC, and then tried to login, the login was ok, the desktop begun showing, but then i saw "Saving your preferences" or something like that (the message when u turn off your pc or when u close your session, in spanish) and then it went back to the login screen !!

look: i never saw the userinit.exe in the start list, so i thought it was a trojan. and well.. this are my limitations to fix the problem.

my pc starts with LILO, the linux loader, so i cannot but with CDROM.
i must find a way from linux or other stuff to edit the registry and restore back again, or do something, but plz post a solution coz i can become mad soon, very very mad !!! i work with websites, etc. and need this urgent to work... :'(

thanks a lot

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:10:01 -0700, "Henry from Argentina" <Henry from
Argentina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi...
>I-m posting from debian, but i need to run my windows 2000 adv. serv. again, and soon.
>the thing is that i deleted the key value from the registry which refers to userinit.exe
>which i think it is located at
>
>then, i rebooted the PC, and then tried to login, the login was ok, the desktop begun showing, but then i saw "Saving your preferences" or something like that (the message when u turn off your pc or when u close your session, in spanish) and then it went back to the login screen !!
>
>look: i never saw the userinit.exe in the start list, so i thought it was a trojan. and well.. this are my limitations to fix the problem.
>
>my pc starts with LILO, the linux loader, so i cannot but with CDROM.
>i must find a way from linux or other stuff to edit the registry and restore back again, or do something, but plz post a solution coz i can become mad soon, very very mad !!! i work with websites, etc. and need this urgent to work... :'(
>
>thanks a lot

If you have another partition, install an alternate copy of W2K.
Use it to offline edit the registry/
See tips 74 and 182 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

well..
I'm trying to find a way to boot from any cd-rom...
remember that debian installed LILO and i just can boot debian and my "not working" copy of win2k...
i saw that remote registry editing worked for some which had this same userinit.exe trouble, but i'm sure i disabled remote registry editing...

what a days I'm having with these trojans and spyware, adware, etc.

if u have another solution, i still dont want to format my windows... coz i have lot of software installed for video edition, etc. etc.

thanks !!

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:10:01 -0700, "Henry from Argentina" <Henry from
> Argentina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >hi...
> >I-m posting from debian, but i need to run my windows 2000 adv. serv. again, and soon.
> >the thing is that i deleted the key value from the registry which refers to userinit.exe
> >which i think it is located at
> >
> >then, i rebooted the PC, and then tried to login, the login was ok, the desktop begun showing, but then i saw "Saving your preferences" or something like that (the message when u turn off your pc or when u close your session, in spanish) and then it went back to the login screen !!
> >
> >look: i never saw the userinit.exe in the start list, so i thought it was a trojan. and well.. this are my limitations to fix the problem.
> >
> >my pc starts with LILO, the linux loader, so i cannot but with CDROM.
> >i must find a way from linux or other stuff to edit the registry and restore back again, or do something, but plz post a solution coz i can become mad soon, very very mad !!! i work with websites, etc. and need this urgent to work... :'(
> >
> >thanks a lot
>
> If you have another partition, install an alternate copy of W2K.
> Use it to offline edit the registry/
> See tips 74 and 182 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
>
> Jerold Schulman
> Windows: General MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Nathan

Well the booting from CD should not care about LILO or
Debian or Win2K. It's booted from the BIOS.

Folow the tips suggested, and good luck! :)

Thanks Nathan
you were right...
my brother choosed USB-CDROM as 1º device for booting process...
he has all the fault... that's why i thought LILO had something of fault.. but well, i booted, fixed, and now happy again...

thanks