World Third Dell Laptop Blew Up in Singapore

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
From The Sydney Morning Herald, comes another Dell laptop blowing up!!!
With horrific graphics!!!
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/dell-laptop-became-a-flamethrower/2006/07/28/1153816375720.html#

Text:
Louisa Hearn
July 31, 2006

Another example of spontaneous combustion by a Dell laptop has emerged accompanied by graphic images of the molten aftermath.

This latest report comes in the wake of a flaming Dell laptop that was captured on film in the act of exploding during a conference in Osaka in Japan last month and another Dell that reportedly burst into flames at an office in the US state of Illinois just last week.

A reader in Singapore, who has requested that he not be identified, told us his Dell laptop supplied to him by his company had been involved in a similar act of self-immolation.

The incident took place one evening in early November. The man was working late in the office when the computer suddenly began to make "popping noises".

"It wasn't quite an explosion, but white smoke began to pour out of the machine, completely filling up the room, and there were flames coming up the sides of the laptop," he said.

The man said he grabbed the machine by its screen and raced it to a sink of water to douse the flames, but when he pulled it back out, it once again began to smoulder.

After seeking advice from his brother-in-law, he removed all the batteries from the machine, and soaked it in a sink of water overnight.

Although Dell was quick to replace the machine, he said he was never told by the company what had caused the fault and to this day worries about a recurrence of the problem.

"I'm now so paranoid that will it happen again that I don't use my laptop on flights anymore. Just imagine if that had happened on an aircraft," he said.

"The amount of smoke alone would have been a major concern, but if it had actually been on my lap I would have been burned in quite a serious way."

It turned out that his was not an isolated case. In December last year, Dell launched a massive recall of about 35,000 notebook batteries contained in laptops that were deemed to pose a potential fire risk.

The company said at the time it had received three reports of batteries overheating, and while no injuries were sustained, damage to a tabletop, a desktop, and minor damage to personal effects had been recorded.

It is not clear if the Singapore incident was one of these three reported cases.

Rechargeable lithium ion batteries are believed to present a fire hazard when they are either damaged or suffer a short circuit, but it is not apparent whether any of the latest incidents involved one of the recalled batteries.

In the Japanese incident, a man named Gaston told the Inquirer website that "the damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Although an investigation of the incident is still underway, Dell said: "The initial analysis indicates that the event involved a fault in a lithium ion battery cell".

In the incident reported last week in the US, police and a fire crew attended the office where the laptop spontaneously burst into flames and evacuated the entire floor.

The problem is not limited to Dell laptops. According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, as many as 43 laptop fires have been reported in the US alone since 2001, and the National Transportation Safety Board is currently examining whether or not a recent fire aboard a UPS cargo plane was caused by laptop batteries.

With Stephen Hutcheon.

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Related story...
Title: Dell's battery malfunctions
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/archives//005359.html

Text:
If you own or use a Dell laptop, you'd be more than a little worried by these recent reports about self-immolating computers.

Okay, these are three reported incidents out of, what, how many millions must they sell?

But remember, these are not simply reports of overheating. We're talking about full on explosions, flames, molten plastic and the lot.

Two of them happen after the bettery recall last December and it's unclear whether the Singapore incident reported in our story today was one of three cases Dell referred to when they announced the recall.

Already there's been suggestions that the problems were more widespread than Dell first admitted.

Earlier this month, the CRN website, quoting an unnamed source, reported that Dell "grappled with apparently severe overheating problems in scores of notebooks for at least two years before it announced a recall of 22,000 notebooks last year, according to a source close to the company".

More disturbing is the suggestion that the incident in Illinois that came to light last week, happened when the computer was in standby mode.

(Because this post has been heavily hit since it was cited last week, the images are not appearing. You can see a copy of one of the images here.)

Certainly the owner of the destroyed laptop was not using his computer at the time it went up.

Time for a full and frank disclosure.

By way of background to our report, the man in Singapore whose Dell caught fire did not contact us about the incident - at least not directly.

He posted a comment in our travel blog and we chased him up about it.

He supplied us with these images of his desk showing burn marks on the table top and of the laptop, a Latitude D410 model, showing extensive damage to the underside of the computer consistent with a traumatic malfunction in the battery area.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

eheheheh, i see the intel ticker on it, wander if its one of them presscots ading to the explosion with all that heat lol. no seriously, DONT BUY A DELL ANYONE, it could injure you :? Just imagin if that was on his lap and it done that, he could kiss goodbye to the nookie.......

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Dude..............You're getting a DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!! I'M ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE ME TOM CRUISE!!!!!! SAVE ME WITH YOUR WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Dude..............You're getting a DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!! I'M ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE ME TOM CRUISE!!!!!! SAVE ME WITH YOUR WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a very sad day for use all, dell laptops are turning into scuicide bombers............

(Who has the button? I wanna push it my maths teacher has a dell laptop :twisted: )

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I can't wait to see that movie.

I CAN'T CONCENTRATE DADDY, I GOT COUGAR ON ME!!

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

I wonder if scientology can save you from exploding Dells?

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006

I wonder if scientology can save you from exploding Dells?

Only after several million dollars in donations.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Imagine you're using this laptop on your lap and exploded, taking out your penis and testicles. Im sure Dell will give you millions for it but now you're neutered.

That's very dangerous but would easily become a suicide bomber laptop of choice.

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
palmtree you gotta keep up on the times. that particular article about the japanese conference has been mentioned plenty of times already in the other dell exploding thread. in fact it was the "first" vastly publicized incident of a dell exploding.

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
palmtree you gotta keep up on the times. that particular article about the japanese conference has been mentioned plenty of times already in the other dell exploding thread. in fact it was the "first" vastly publicized incident of a dell exploding.
Thanks for the comment. :) Guess while I was sleeping there were Dell laptops exploding...

As far as I've read, three Dell laptops blew up in a single month - unbelievable. 8O

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
i had a friend of mine send me that link a few weeks ago and my jaw dropped. now with the two other dells self destructing in this month im sitting here very glad i own an asus lappy. :D

im still waiting for dell to release a formal statement on the matter. :? the big shots there should be getting a little worried as the taliban lappies become more common knoweledge. :wink: