Sign in with
Your question

BIOS Update without Floppy Drive...

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2006 2:34:04 PM

I haven't flashed a mobo BIOS in quite a while, but I recall always needing to use a floppy disk to do so. Is there a way to flash the BIOS without a floppy drive?
July 31, 2006 3:00:46 PM

Quote:
I haven't flashed a mobo BIOS in quite a while, but I recall always needing to use a floppy disk to do so. Is there a way to flash the BIOS without a floppy drive?

i always use a floppy for that, but as far as i know, you can update your bios even from windows, depending on the motherboard
July 31, 2006 4:48:40 PM

Quote:

Not realy sure about other brands but al current ABIT boards should be flashable from windows, and recently I think I've even read about some motherbaords being able to flash from network, scary . . .
Related resources
July 31, 2006 5:28:07 PM

Yeah, depends on the motherboard. Mine is new, and it actually has a utility that will allow you to do it from the USB drive. Many motherboards even a few years old will let you do it from windows also.

Alternatively (and I've done this), you get an ISO of win98, crack it open and put your flash utility and new BIOS in it. Burn it, boot it and do the flash. As far as I know, this method and the floppy are the only ways to do it if your motherboard won't let you do it in win.
July 31, 2006 5:49:58 PM

Actually many new MoBo`s have windows based BIOS flashing utilities, you just must look in the webpage of yours, if there`s one, the other way, the hard way is still to use a Floppy to flash the BIOS, but, every BIOS has it`s own way to flash, so, you MUST read CAREFULLY the readme of yours before doing it, because if you make a mistake... you`re MoBo is dead...
July 31, 2006 6:16:51 PM

Basically, you need something that can act as a startup disc (floppy/usb/cdrom with command.com etc on) and on this media, you can use DOS based BIOS loading (supported by almost all mobo manufacturers these days). The only big factor here is if the BIOS will allow you to set it to one of the media's for boot purposes. If so, you can boot, load bios and off you go.

What I want to know, is if it is possible to do bios load from above mentioned options, IF the BIOS is corrupt?
August 1, 2006 2:04:45 AM

Quote:
Basically, you need something that can act as a startup disc (floppy/usb/cdrom with command.com etc on) and on this media, you can use DOS based BIOS loading (supported by almost all mobo manufacturers these days). The only big factor here is if the BIOS will allow you to set it to one of the media's for boot purposes. If so, you can boot, load bios and off you go.

What I want to know, is if it is possible to do bios load from above mentioned options, IF the BIOS is corrupt?

I think it depends on whats corrupted in the BIOS, or how bad its corrupted, but I'd say no. The only way we here have been able to flash a dead or corrupted BIOS, is by using a EPROM burner (a device made specificly for communicating with the BIOS chip its self, and / or simular chips).
August 1, 2006 11:13:07 AM

Quote:

I think it depends on whats corrupted in the BIOS, or how bad its corrupted, but I'd say no. The only way we here have been able to flash a dead or corrupted BIOS, is by using a EPROM burner (a device made specificly for communicating with the BIOS chip its self, and / or simular chips).
not quite really. He can use another motherboard, it doesnt even need to be the same model, and flash the bios on the fly. There's a program that "forces" a flash, like uniflash (www.uniflash.org), so he can flash his bios even on another motherboard.
I've done this successfully a couple of times
August 1, 2006 11:32:22 AM

Now days the floppy lives only by life suport. I don't even have one in my rig. But to answer you question yes you can download your new Bios and update it from Windows.,, Uhhh that is if you have a newer MB..
August 1, 2006 11:35:21 AM

All new Gigabyte boards can be flashed from Windows. :) 
August 1, 2006 11:36:35 AM

Yes, that was my main goal in mind, to build a rig without a floppy drive. I'll be sure to check if the mobo I'll eventually buy allows for BIOS updates from windows.

Thanks to everyone for there replies.
August 1, 2006 4:51:20 PM

Quote:

not quite really. He can use another motherboard, it doesnt even need to be the same model, and flash the bios on the fly. There's a program that "forces" a flash, like uniflash (www.uniflash.org), so he can flash his bios even on another motherboard.

Ah, never knew about using a different motherboard type, but then again, my electronics engineer roomate has spoiled me with his eprom burner :) 
August 1, 2006 5:13:06 PM

Quote:

Ah, never knew about using a different motherboard type, but then again, my electronics engineer roomate has spoiled me with his eprom burner :) 

Does it work on BIOS's that are soldered onto the mobo ? lol just kidding I had a ASUS mobo that didnt have a removable chip and a bad BIOS flash :(  anyway I recomend a search for "Winflash"
August 1, 2006 6:22:15 PM

Welcome to the year 2006 :p 
August 1, 2006 6:27:57 PM

hahahaha was it a 386 board?
just throw it on the trash :p 
August 1, 2006 6:30:25 PM

Just a little bit of info on the subject, the newer boards use JTAG chips, which requires a JTAG converter, so as is, we cannot use the EPROM burner without getting one . . .
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2009 8:13:38 PM

I still want to upgrade my bios with another media than floppy (or inside Windows). Vista goes bluescreen at startup - even after re-install, and i suspect an old bios to be the responsible, but without a floppy drive it's hard to tell. I really need some usb og cd bios flashing options and googling doesn't really help me.
August 21, 2009 4:54:19 PM

If you do not have a floppy drive on your computer but a friend has one on their computer and windows XP, this is how you can flash your BIOS or should I say, this is how I do mine.

Put a floppy disc in the drive and format it as an MS-DOS disc. Add to the floppy your BIOS file and the flash program.

Use notepad to open the Autoexec.bat on the floppy disc and add the following line and then save the file. AWFL855A.exe W7125NMS.1D0 /py/sn/cc/cp/cd/r

In this case it is an Award BIOS. The AWFL855A.exe is the flash program, W7125NMS.1D0 is the BIOS file and the /py/sn/cc/cp/cd/r are switches. Add /f if you think your BIOS chip is dead or had a bad flash. These settings maybe different for other BIOS makers.

For the next step I use Nero Express but other programs will do the same job.

After starting NE I choose Data and then Bootable Data CD. At this point you would normally add the files that you wish to burn to the CD but I just click on the Next button.

I now tell Nero to create a bootable CD by reading the floppy disc and then I click on the next button. I can name the CD if I want to but before I click burn I tick the Verify Data on Disc box. When Nero has finished burning the CD I have a BIOS flashing CD

I pop in to the BIOS on my computer and set the CD as the first thing to boot from. Next time I start my computer it will boot from the CD and flash the BIOS.

With the BIOS flashed, I can again pop in to the BIOS and put the Hard Disk as the first thing to boot from. At the same time I can make any other changes.
!