Sign in with
Your question

[HELP NEEDED!] Windows refuse to install!! :S

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2006 4:24:20 PM

Here's the specs:

Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ sokkel AM2
Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 2048 MB (2x1024)
XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 570M
SHW-16H5S-05C, DVD±RW, DVD±Rx16, Internal, Dual Layer ± x8/x4, Lightscribe
MIST 500W, 20/24 pins, S-ATA
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160 GB S-ATA300

My Chasis:

Lian Li PC6277

When I start the computer with the XPcd it's loading all the files and it says.. Starting Windows... right afterwards I get a bluescreen... :S
Anyone got a clue?
July 31, 2006 4:42:33 PM

Bad MB, memory, or hd.
I believe it's first loading into memory though because it gives the option to format the HD after that.
So....
I would assume bad memory or mb.
Put this on a cd or floppy
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
That should test the ram.
July 31, 2006 4:50:38 PM

Nice rig dude, do you get any error codes?, could be a faulty Hard disk or memory, try running memtest .
Related resources
July 31, 2006 4:54:00 PM

Thx :) 

The errorcode:

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then
select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE0FFFFF8, 0X00000000, 0X804640BE, 0X00000000)
July 31, 2006 4:55:15 PM

Highly doubt its the memory. Usually with memory problems the computer fails to boot at all and will make weird beeping noises. But test it to make sure either way. If its your HDD... you could always try reformating it and then... well... I'm guessing windows was installed, just failed to boot if you have the starting Windows XP screen. Maybe try formating your hdd and try again. If you can, might want to test your system parts with someone else's if you can also.

And uh... get a better PSU... never heard of mist. Maybe should have gone with an Antec True power...
July 31, 2006 5:10:20 PM

ok, This error is one I've had. You system is running 2GB of ram and some highend chips / chipsets. You will not be able to install windows XP, unless you slipstream service pack 2 into the CD.
EDIT: You may get the Os installed eventually, but I would advise it with a dual core anyway, given the erros with original XP's manager timing...

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

There is a rough guide to doing what you need to do, other than that, check your memory timings in bios, and check the speeds aswell. The reason why he said It could be your HDD is because a page fault is when the computer fails to translate a virtual address into a real address (move memory from your harddrive to your ram). If you want a better understanding of the error *skewed for thoes who are technicaly minded*

http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=335

I would try getting a memory tester, a bootable program that tests your memory for errors.
http://www.memtest86.com/
This is one of the few that I use.

If you have anymore questions just ask em :D 
July 31, 2006 5:13:19 PM

nice find there,
but why not install xp with 1 of the 1gb sticks?
sorry im a noob when it comes to mem lol :( 
July 31, 2006 5:25:59 PM

Could well be the memory. I've had bad memory which didn't show any errors in a memtest run (which makes the app pretty useless) so try this: take one stick out, reinstall XP (don't repair). If that's just as bad, swap the other stick and try again. If that doesn't work, repeat using different slots. Sometimes you have to push quite hard to get the RAM properly into the slot.
July 31, 2006 5:29:45 PM

You need to hit F6 during the first stage of Windows setup then insert the floppy with IDE drivers that came with the Motherboard. If you skip this step you'll get a STOP ERROR. This is because the generic ide drivers aren't suitible to run Windows. So effectively the OS cannot mount the drive.

NOTE: After you hit "F6" the setup will proceed, then later on it will prompt you to insert the diskette.
July 31, 2006 5:34:13 PM

I didn't see anything you listed that could cause a problem, but I know I've had a problem with Windows refusing to install on an ASUS A8N32SLI board. As it turns out, it was my raid card. When the RAID BIOS is installed, this ASUS board (and my A8N-E) will refuse to boot into windows. I believe this is probably also true of the M2N32SLI board.

I don't know if you have any hard drive controller card or raid controller card with an on-board BIOS, but if you do, you need to disable the card bios to install or boot into windows xp.
July 31, 2006 5:55:37 PM

Testing the memory now, got 6640 errors allready and counting :S

I think the bios detected wrong, it says the memmory is DDR2-667 but I've got DDR2-800... :S
July 31, 2006 5:56:12 PM

Here's some info from Technet about trouble shooting Stop Errors:

Look for other hardware issues
If you continue to receive a Stop 0x0A error during the installation of Windows XP, try the following troubleshooting steps. After each step, try again to install Windows.
1. During the installation startup, press F5 when the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" message appears. When you are prompted, specify the correct computer type and hardware abstraction layer (HAL). For example, if you have a single processor, specify the "Standard PC" HAL.
2. Turn off the following features in the CMOS settings of your computer. See the hardware documentation or manufacturer for instructions.
• All caching, including L2, BIOS, internal/external, and write-back caching on disk controllers
• All shadowing
• Plug and Play
• Any BIOS-based virus protection feature
3. Remove all adapters and disconnect all hardware devices that are not required to start the computer and install Windows, including the following adapters and devices:
• Network adapter
• Internal modem
• Sound card
• Extra hard disks (you need at least one to complete the installation)
• CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (if you are installing from the local hard disk)
4. If you are using a SCSI adapter, use the following methods. See the hardware documentation for information.
• Obtain the latest Windows driver from the adapter vendor.
• Turn off sync negotiation on the SCSI controller.
• Verify that termination and IDs of the SCSI devices are correct.
• Remove all SCSI devices from the SCSI chain (except for one hard disk if you are starting from or installing to a drive that is on that disk).
5. If you are using IDE devices, use the following methods. See the hardware documentation for more information.
• Define the on-board IDE port to Primary only.
• Verify that the Master/Slave/Only settings for the IDE devices are correct.
• Remove all IDE devices except for the hard disk.
6. Check the memory SIMMs (the RAM) in the computer. See the hardware documentation for more information.
• Remove any mismatched memory SIMMs so that all the SIMMs operate at the same speed. For example, 60 nanoseconds (ns) or 70 ns.
• Run a systems test on the memory, and remove any bad SIMMs.
• Test by using different SIMMs if any are available.
7. Contact the manufacturer of the computer or the motherboard to see whether there are any known issues about running or installing Windows XP. The manufacturer may be able to help with the following items:
• Running a diagnostics program on the computer.
• Upgrading the computer BIOS if that is applicable.

Hope this is helpful.
I'd try to use only bare minimum of hardware to install, also as metioned earlier by another good PC semaritian you should use a slipstream of SP2 because your hardware is much newer than the SP1 installer.
July 31, 2006 6:02:58 PM

Thx!

DAMN!! 60.000 errors and counting!!!!!
July 31, 2006 6:50:51 PM

Glad to be of help. :lol: 
You came to the right place;
Lots of smart cookies in this forum.
July 31, 2006 6:56:38 PM

well, one GB would solve one problem, but would keep another problem present. XP doesnt correctly handle dual cores. Some people have as little as occasional stuttering durring games, others have total system crashes. AMD has released a tool that will correct this problem on AMD X2 based systems. also, microsoft has released a patch that is avaliable to download from MIRRORS ONLY that tries to correct this issue. I have a pent. D 830, I tried the patch yesterday, and I had to sped 2 hours making my system work again :p  so, its risky, but so are the omega drivers (people still use them ya know :D ).

Any way the link is: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

But, on another note, you should make your timings and speed match that of your rams advertised speed. Otherwise, RMA them bad boys if they are gettin errors like that :D 

~out
July 31, 2006 6:58:48 PM

well, if we are going that route, I would advise doing all the formentioned steps, but one at a time to see if it helps, so that you can narrow down problematic hardware / settings...

But that is just me...

~out
July 31, 2006 7:21:59 PM

updating the installation to sp2 sounds like the best idea, I've encountered in several installations though that a usb2.0 device being plugged in without a driver installed will halt windows. May just need to unplug everything but keyboard and mouse until you can load your drivers.
August 2, 2006 7:44:56 AM

I've got the Service Pack 2 version of Windows XP. I've got the 32 bit and 64 bit editions, both getting the same error...

It looks like I need to install the drivers for the sata raid that's on the motherboard... I inserted the cd that came along with it and I have to make a floppy with the drivers on. The problem is, who's buying a floppydrive nowadays?? I haven't got a floppydrive... Checked the stores yesterday and they are not selling it anymore :?

Also in the bios it claims I'm running DDR2-667, but the ram is DDR2-800. How can I get it to use it as DDR2-800 from the bios? Don't want to fuck up the bios...

Any smart cookie who wants to help me through msn or xfire? If so, give me a pm... Really need help! :cry: 

BTW, I've never encountered problems with windows refuse to install. Got two other systems working, but they are 32 bit CPU systems with DDR1 memmory...

And I've got the Logitech G15 keyboard hooked up to the pc, maybe that's the problem? It uses USB 2.0
August 2, 2006 9:44:20 AM

/bump

I really need help... anyone???
August 2, 2006 12:37:34 PM

Uh, well your RAM is obviously bad. You're not going to get any further till you fix that. Running at 667 shouldn't be a problem - a slower speed shouldn't hurt an OS install. Check the SPD settings though. Sometimes motherboards don't read the chip's SPD correctly. If you set the SPD settings manually and Memtest still fails, RMA that RAM!

As for the RAID issue - well I hear Nvidia and RAID is pretty bad. What you can try to do is find the setting in BIOS for the RAID drive and switch it to IDE or compatible. Check your manual. This will downgrade it to PATA standards, and then you should be able to install the OS without installing the RAID controller driver. You can then install it after you get the OS installed and then get full SATA speeds.
August 2, 2006 1:05:09 PM

Alyarbank is right I think, hit F6 and than load SATA driver, widows can not handle a SATA drive until the driver is loaded.

Quote:
You need to hit F6 during the first stage of Windows setup then insert the floppy with IDE drivers that came with the Motherboard. If you skip this step you'll get a STOP ERROR. This is because the generic ide drivers aren't suitible to run Windows. So effectively the OS cannot mount the drive.

NOTE: After you hit "F6" the setup will proceed, then later on it will prompt you to insert the diskette.
August 3, 2006 5:07:57 PM

Thx for all your help people! Got some new errors, but not as bad. But I'm sending it to the retailer and get them to fix it for me when I'm on Vacation next week ^^

I might think some new users will arrive here when I'm gone ^^
Nah, just kiddin'. Hope they can find it out themselves :lol: 
August 3, 2006 6:25:56 PM

Also, I don't have the time to check, but does your mobo support the RAM you're using? RAM isn't as universal as one would think...

DEFINATELY manually enter your RAM settings, though, especially if SPD is giving you bad numbers for whatever reason.
August 3, 2006 6:30:02 PM

Quote:
Hey reaper, I have had this problem with AM2, could be the same solution.
Some motherboards do not auto detect the DDR2 memory voltage correclty. Find out what the voltage is your ram requires, then check the motherboards bios and see if its set right. Most likely its too low and not getting enough juice to work correctly. It happened to me with my MSI and OCZ.

what he said. ddr2 can require as much as 2.1v to run properly.
August 3, 2006 6:57:50 PM

I recently had this problem on a friends computer:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE0FFFFF8, 0X00000000, 0X804640BE, 0X00000000)

This is the STOP 50 error and the windows support gives many reseans this can happen. The key here is 0X804640BE.

To fix the problem, I booted to a command line CD that allowed me to get to the c:\ directory. The pagefile has been corrupted. Rename the c:\pagefile.sys to pagefile.old and reboot the system. A new pagefile will be created and the machine should boot fine.
!