David

Hello,

We are interested in running, revising and compiling some Quickbasic
programs on a new XP server.

What do we have to do to make this work?

David

First search for Qbasic.exe on your computer.
Qbasic was included starting with DOS version 5.0 and was also on the Win95
and Win98(i think) CD-ROMs.

If you find it, be sure that either you are in the folder containing
Qbasic.exe when you are at the prompt or that it in the Path. (type Path
from the prompt to see the directories included).

If you don't find it, then you can get it from the internet. simply do a
search for it from
any search engine. Many of the QuickBasic sites will either have it or a
link to it.

"David" <dhbaird@myeastern.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We are interested in running, revising and compiling some Quickbasic
> programs on a new XP server.
>
> What do we have to do to make this work?
>
> David

> News==----
> Newsgroups

"David" <dhbaird@myeastern.com> wrote
> We are interested in running, revising and compiling
> some Quickbasic programs on a new XP server.

David,

Regarding using QBasic under modern windows, it is possible with
difficulty to run QBasic program under WinXP, but there are problems.
See http://www.google.com/search?q=QBasic+WinXP
and http://groups.google.com/groups?q=QBasic%20WinXP
and http://www.qbasicnews.com/

There is a fairly popular Basic made for use under the newer Windows
operating systems. It is called Liberty Basic. Development licenses
cost about $30, but there is a trial download available for free.
See http://www.libertybasic.com.

Regards, JohnH

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

David wrote:
> We are interested in running, revising and compiling some Quickbasic
> programs on a new XP server.
> What do we have to do to make this work?

Do you have QuickBasic? You need to be more specific about what information
you need. QuickBasic (the last version of which is probably 4.5 from 1988)
works fine on XP. The main issues today probably have to do with printing,
since most modern printers do not support printing from DOS programs, but
any text files created can be printed with Windows programs (e.g., Notepad).

P.S. For the benefit of the other responders, QuickBasic is not QBasic.
QuickBasic was a commercial compiler. QBasic was an interpreter. XP does
not include QBasic.

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

David wrote:
> We are interested in running, revising and compiling some Quickbasic
> programs on a new XP server.
> What do we have to do to make this work?

BTW, if you need QuickBasic, it appears to be available here
http://webpages.csus.edu/~sac19488/qbasic.htm
although it is erroneously referred to as QBasic, and the download is about
1/3 of the total number of files in the original distribution.

David

We have Quickbasic compiler 4.5...

If we reinstall it on the new server will we be able to run it in a dos
box?
Will we need any special dos init files like an autoexec.bat file or
config.sys file for running the dos box?

One of the programs creates a graph of a curve that is calculated from the
data entered and the compile libraries of data tables that get called. We
will need to be able to print that graph for the paper trail... Will that be
possible in a dos box? (We kept the old dot matrix printer that did the
printing)

David

"John Herbster" <no-swen@no-swen.com> wrote in message news:<uMVY0pXrEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> "David" <dhbaird@myeastern.com> wrote
> > We are interested in running, revising and compiling
> > some Quickbasic programs on a new XP server.
>
> David,
>
> Regarding using QBasic under modern windows, it is possible with
> difficulty to run QBasic program under WinXP, but there are problems.
> See http://www.google.com/search?q=QBasic+WinXP
> and http://groups.google.com/groups?q=QBasic%20WinXP
> and http://www.qbasicnews.com/
>
> There is a fairly popular Basic made for use under the newer Windows
> operating systems. It is called Liberty Basic. Development licenses
> cost about $30, but there is a trial download available for free.
> See http://www.libertybasic.com.

Thanks for the plug John. In addition to Liberty BASIC, take a look
at Just BASIC, which is our new free BASIC for Windows. It's in beta
test now, but we're shooting to release v1.0 this weekend.
http://www.justbasic.com

-Carl Gundel
http://www.libertybasic.com