Sign in with
Your question

Z-5500 overkill for small room?

Last response: in Components
July 31, 2006 6:15:23 PM

Hey there, for the longest time i've been looking around for a set of speakers and a good sound card to match to get some good quality 5.1's. I decided to get some z-5500's and auzentech x-plosion. Since the speakers are 505watts and usually more watts are for bigger rooms, do you think a set of z-5500's would be overkill? My room is approimately 12 x 12 feet. The only reason I have been hesitating to just go out and buy the z-5300's is because they do not support digital output. Should I go for the z-5300's or do you think it's worth the extra money even though my room is fairly small?
July 31, 2006 10:30:01 PM

I don't think you have to ever worry about the Z5500's ever being overkill. As long as you have room to adequately place the surrounds you should be fine. The less you have to turn up the volume the less likely you'll have lots of distortion. Remember, these are computer speakers, I think you'll be just fine, enjoy that set for what it can do.
August 1, 2006 9:27:47 PM

I went to a local store and listened to the z-5500's and to me, there wasn't that much of a difference. I purchased the z-5300's with an x-fi xtreme music but I have a question about the sound card, not sure if you can answer it or not. I have not hooked up the speakers yet but installed the sound card. I got the drivers off of the website instead of disk and everything is working fine. In the instructions it did not mention anything about disabling onboard sound. Do I still have to do that? The drivers have already been installed and I can get sound out of the sound card so I guess it's working right?
As well, which slot does the mic go into?
Related resources
August 1, 2006 10:24:06 PM

If you're not having any problems with onboard sound enabled, naaa, you don't really need to disable it. ...but if you're not going to use it all, there's no reason to leave it enabled. If you're not going to use it, I'd disable it in the bios and uninstall the drivers...for a tighter system. The X-Fi comes with a little color-coded sticker for the jacks. The blue one is for the mic. ( http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/9037/0x4... )
August 1, 2006 10:25:25 PM

do u happen to know which hole the mic goes into?
August 1, 2006 10:30:23 PM

It's the first from jack from the top of the card (closest to the mounting bracket). I posted a link in my previous post to a visual on this.
August 1, 2006 10:48:01 PM

Hey thanks for all your help so far, just another question, don't know if your sure on this or not but will the electrical socket have enough power for my computer and these speakers?
My computer has a 420W PSU which works good and it says the speakers can his 505W on max load. I also have a printer, webcam and small guitar amp. This is all connected through a powerbar. Do you think the socket can handle all that?
August 1, 2006 11:13:20 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for all your help so far, just another question, don't know if your sure on this or not but will the electrical socket have enough power for my computer and these speakers?
My computer has a 420W PSU which works good and it says the speakers can his 505W on max load. I also have a printer, webcam and small guitar amp. This is all connected through a powerbar. Do you think the socket can handle all that?

Those are absolute max throughputs. You will never use max for all devices at anyone time. Also you will never use max on the sub, the whole house shakes lol.
August 1, 2006 11:14:34 PM

so you think its fnie having all that on 1 powerbar?
August 1, 2006 11:18:16 PM

I'd think so, really. Like he/she said, you'll never hit those max loads altogether, at any one time. With a good surge protector, line conditioner, I'd imagine you'd be fine...but I'm not really qualified to say, I'm no electrician. :D 
August 2, 2006 10:06:10 AM

I wouldn't worry about power from a single AC socket, unless you are running a LAN off of a single power strip. I believe the max continuous power off of one AC socket is around 4200W.

Also, when you are listening to music, on average you aren't likely to go beyond 1W/channel. Even on lower sensitivity speakers, 1W of power goes a long way. The 505W rating comes off of a specific frequency (probably 1KHz) and in no way means the amp can sustain 500W+ on a flat sine wave. If that were to occur, either the speakers, amp, or both would likely blow. In fact, the 8ohm tolerances of your speakers are probably written inside of them. The Z-680s, for example, if you had opened them up and looked at the back of the drivers, had the 3" satellite drivers rated to 15W each, and 88W continuous for the sub in terms of max continuous excursion limits.
August 2, 2006 11:04:19 AM

YO coo,
I have a set of these speakers and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM !!! and it's what halcyon just said.....go out an get em....they aren't overkill and you should enjoy them for what they can do. The more power they are capable of, means good clean sound. The bass is awsome and punchy....especially when ya gotta frag the bad guys dude :wink:

And in case you didn't know....if your sound card is capable of "Optical Digital" you should pair em up with a set of ear candy that will take advantage of that. Beleive me there is NOTHING more beautiful than hearing mp3's in clear crisp optical digital. These babies are THX certified which means they are capable of producing a standard of sound comparable to the real thing. I think this "standard designation" came from that Director Steven Spielberg ( maker of ET) that designates a higher standard than your lower end surround speakers.

OK audiophiles....go ahead...... :roll: tell me I'm crazy and that there are speakers that will blow these away and you can get X ones for this and X ones for that...but bottom line is for the money...and they are NOT cheap...is you will not regret buying these. Keep in mind that SOUND quality is subjective...so one's persons trash :roll: is another's treasure :D 

In addition to it's capability to hook up to a computer, you can also hook these up directly to a dvd player and use it as a home theater setup. Now again AUDIOPHILES may disagree, BUT I;'m telling ya man.....go to a store....try them out against Klipshe or another maker of your choice....and you will see that this set of EYE candy will ROCK da HOUSE :wink:

Hope this helps bro
August 2, 2006 10:23:11 PM

Sometimes I think this board is a war between a priori and a posteri logic.
August 2, 2006 10:48:27 PM

Quote:

LOL you have nothing to worry about if you are in UK with 240 wall socket.
I am running 2 PCs with 600W PSUs (around 1500W actual consume) + Z5500 and 100Watt monitor and Xbox 360
ALL FROM THE SAME SOCKET!!!!
August 8, 2006 3:32:11 AM

dont worry ive got a figgen stereo and computer and boatloads of crap hooked into one surgeproector whcih goes into one outlet. ur nnot gnna kill an outlet with just a comptuer speakre system- mab if u hook up a heater or aic condtioner u can tho
August 9, 2006 7:30:01 PM

i used to have my computer in a small room and found 5.1 to be a little overwhelming, so i switched to logitech's z4's and it was a whole lot better.
!