Star Trek Communicator sounds

Last response: in Network Providers
October 30, 2004 11:09:22 PM

I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
sound when it opens.

Thanks!
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 12:03:53 AM

where did you find the beeping sound? i'm sure my friend will want it

"p51d007" <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
> classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
> opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
> could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
> sound when it opens.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 12:31:01 AM

In article <emp7o09p7ebfninvrca92d7d68bq0g414l@4ax.com>,
p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
> classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
> opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
> could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
> sound when it opens.
>
> Thanks!

http://services.tos.net/sounds/sound.html#tos

http://www.the-ocean.com/trek/trek.html

http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/soundfx.html

http://frogstar.com/trek/index.asp
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 2:24:13 AM

These links were sent to me, I'm going to check them out.

http://services.tos.net/sounds/sound.html#tos

http://www.the-ocean.com/trek/trek.html

http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/soundfx.html

http://frogstar.com/trek/index.asp

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:03:53 GMT, "Donald J. Naegele, Jr."
<dnaegel1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>where did you find the beeping sound? i'm sure my friend will want it
>

>"p51d007" <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
>> classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
>> opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
>> could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
>> sound when it opens.
>>
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 4:40:53 PM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:09:22 GMT, p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> said
in alt.cellular.cingular:

>I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
>classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
>opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
>could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
>sound when it opens.

There's a Palm program that makes that sound when you turn the Palm on
- it makes it look like a ST communicator. Maybe you can find it (on
a Palm site) and record it when you open your (or someone else's)
Palm.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 5:51:51 PM

In <jzwick3-5DDF2C.16313530102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Sat, 30 Oct
2004 21:31:01 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <emp7o09p7ebfninvrca92d7d68bq0g414l@4ax.com>,
> p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
>> classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
>> opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
>> could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
>> sound when it opens.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>http://services.tos.net/sounds/sound.html#tos

..AU wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.

>http://www.the-ocean.com/trek/trek.html

Site down.

>http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/soundfx.html

..WAV wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.

>http://frogstar.com/trek/index.asp

..WAV wave and .MP3, not MIDI or polyphonic.

November 1, 2004 4:04:19 AM

In article <b_6hd.2544$_3.33161@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-5DDF2C.16313530102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Sat, 30 Oct
> 2004 21:31:01 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <emp7o09p7ebfninvrca92d7d68bq0g414l@4ax.com>,
> > p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've looked but can't find a midi or polyphonic sound of the old
> >> classic Star Trek TV show. The handheld communicator. When they
> >> opened it, it made a clicking sound. Does anyone have a link where I
> >> could find one? I've found the beeping sound, but not the clicking
> >> sound when it opens.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >
> >http://services.tos.net/sounds/sound.html#tos
>
> .AU wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>
> >http://www.the-ocean.com/trek/trek.html

You guys must have overwhelmed the ISP; it was up this AM.

> Site down.
>
> >http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/soundfx.html
>
> .WAV wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>
> >http://frogstar.com/trek/index.asp
>
> .WAV wave and .MP3, not MIDI or polyphonic.

Sorry you are unaware of the many freeware / shareware software
for converting one sound type to another.

Start with http://widisoft.com

In any event those 4 URLs were found in 20 seconds with a simple Google
search. Many more out there.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:17:11 PM

In <jzwick3-382B00.19040631102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
2004 01:04:19 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <b_6hd.2544$_3.33161@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> .WAV wave and .MP3, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>
>Sorry you are unaware of the many freeware / shareware software
>for converting one sound type to another.
>
>Start with http://widisoft.com

Converting .WAV/.MP3 to MIDI is possible but problematic, and not at all good
with sound effects (as requested by the OP).

>In any event those 4 URLs were found in 20 seconds with a simple Google
>search. Many more out there.

The trick is useful URLs, not just URLs.

What you posted was neither useful nor helpful. Care to try again?

November 1, 2004 9:24:35 PM

In article <H4vhd.2812$_3.34099@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-382B00.19040631102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
> 2004 01:04:19 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <b_6hd.2544$_3.33161@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >> .WAV wave and .MP3, not MIDI or polyphonic.
> >
> >Sorry you are unaware of the many freeware / shareware software
> >for converting one sound type to another.
> >
> >Start with http://widisoft.com
>
> Converting .WAV/.MP3 to MIDI is possible but problematic, and not at all good
> with sound effects (as requested by the OP).
>

> What you posted was neither useful nor helpful. Care to try again?

I don't see you posting any URLs at all, just lame criticism.

They work real nice on my v600.

You don't like anything you didnt post unless its cowtowing to you do
you?
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:06:16 PM

From: John Navas
Subject: Re: Ringtone converter
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.motorola
Date: 2004-10-31 07:50:03 PST

In <_fidnX4zJbmt5xncRVn-rw@comcast.com> on Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:37:52 -0400,
"Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:

>If you're looking for a program that will convert an MP3 file to a .mid
>file, then you're out of luck as there is no such thing and if you think
>about it a bit you'll see why.

Actually there are MP3 (wave) to MIDI converters (e.g.,
<http://www.intelliscore.net/product.html&gt;). Results are of varying
quality depending on the particular wave file and converter.

>just lame criticism.

Valid criticism of posts that were neither useful nor helpful.

>They work real nice on my v600.

Not on "Star Trek Communicator sounds" (this context) they don't. They don't
even "work real nice" on non-trivial polyphonic music. (Feel free to prove me
wrong by posting your results, if you can -- but of course you won't, because
you can't -- you're just blowing your usual smoke.)

>You don't like anything you didnt post unless its cowtowing to you do
>you?

You've got that backwards (like so many other things).

November 1, 2004 10:45:55 PM

In article <IOvhd.2833$_3.34033@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-8F84ED.12251301112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
> 2004 18:24:35 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <H4vhd.2812$_3.34099@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >> What you posted was neither useful nor helpful. Care to try again?
> >
> >I don't see you posting any URLs at all,
>
> From: John Navas
> Subject: Re: Ringtone converter
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.motorola
> Date: 2004-10-31 07:50:03 PST
>
> In <_fidnX4zJbmt5xncRVn-rw@comcast.com> on Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:37:52 -0400,
> "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >If you're looking for a program that will convert an MP3 file to a .mid
> >file, then you're out of luck as there is no such thing and if you think
> >about it a bit you'll see why.
>
> Actually there are MP3 (wave) to MIDI converters (e.g.,
> <http://www.intelliscore.net/product.html&gt;). Results are of varying
> quality depending on the particular wave file and converter.
>
> >just lame criticism.
>
> Valid criticism of posts that were neither useful nor helpful.
>
> >They work real nice on my v600.
>
> Not on "Star Trek Communicator sounds" (this context) they don't. They don't
> even "work real nice" on non-trivial polyphonic music. (Feel free to prove me
> wrong by posting your results, if you can -- but of course you won't, because
> you can't -- you're just blowing your usual smoke.)
>
> >You don't like anything you didnt post unless its cowtowing to you do
> >you?
>
> You've got that backwards (like so many other things).

I still don't see you being helpful to the OP who wanted sounds for his
phone. I see nothing wrong with his spending a few minutes converting
files, in exchange for their being free.

All you've done is be unhelpful. Pretty sad for a shill of Cingular.

and of course you snipped out the links that ARE HELPFUL.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:55:27 PM

In <jzwick3-655F8A.13454201112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
2004 19:45:55 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <IOvhd.2833$_3.34033@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <jzwick3-8F84ED.12251301112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
>> 2004 18:24:35 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Not on "Star Trek Communicator sounds" (this context) they don't. They don't
>> even "work real nice" on non-trivial polyphonic music. (Feel free to prove me
>> wrong by posting your results, if you can -- but of course you won't, because
>> you can't -- you're just blowing your usual smoke.)

No such results, so you were obviously just blowing more smoke.

>> >You don't like anything you didnt post unless its cowtowing to you do
>> >you?
>>
>> You've got that backwards (like so many other things).
>
>I still don't see you being helpful to the OP who wanted sounds for his
>phone.

It was helpful to let him know not to waste time on your links.

>I see nothing wrong with his spending a few minutes converting
>files, in exchange for their being free.

What's wrong is that it doesn't work.

>All you've done is be unhelpful.

Again, you've got that backwards.

>Pretty sad for a shill of Cingular.

1. This has nothing to do with Cingular.

2. Personal insults are a sure sign of a weak position.

>and of course you snipped out the links that ARE HELPFUL.

There weren't any such links, as documented in my response.

November 2, 2004 6:52:29 AM

You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for,
bluetooth downloaded them onto the phone, and they sound great.
Thanks!

wrote:

>In article <b_6hd.2544$_3.33161@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <jzwick3-5DDF2C.16313530102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Sat, 30 Oct
>> 2004 21:31:01 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> >http://services.tos.net/sounds/sound.html#tos
>>
>> .AU wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>>
>> >http://www.the-ocean.com/trek/trek.html
>
>You guys must have overwhelmed the ISP; it was up this AM.
>

>> Site down.
>>
>> >http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/soundfx.html
>>
>> .WAV wave, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>>
>> >http://frogstar.com/trek/index.asp
>>
>> .WAV wave and .MP3, not MIDI or polyphonic.
>
>Sorry you are unaware of the many freeware / shareware software
>for converting one sound type to another.
>
>Start with http://widisoft.com
>
>In any event those 4 URLs were found in 20 seconds with a simple Google
>search. Many more out there.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:59:27 AM

>p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote in message >news:<v21eo0tdbqus5sdhtr7pvd791rf9m09uer@4ax.com>...
>> You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for,
>> bluetooth downloaded them onto the phone, and they sound great.
>> Thanks!

Care to share with the rest of us?
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 11:47:34 AM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:52:29 GMT, p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for

WHERE?!?!?!?!!

--
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
Our job is to arrange the meeting."

In article <v21eo0tdbqus5sdhtr7pvd791rf9m09uer@4ax.com>,
p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for,
> bluetooth downloaded them onto the phone, and they sound great.
> Thanks!

Can you share the wealth?

Actually, I'd like the original Red Alert sound for a ringer.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:39:08 AM

In <elmop-52161A.16335102112004@text.usenetserver.com> on Tue, 02 Nov 2004
16:33:52 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <v21eo0tdbqus5sdhtr7pvd791rf9m09uer@4ax.com>,
> p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for,
>> bluetooth downloaded them onto the phone, and they sound great.
>> Thanks!
>
>Can you share the wealth?
>
>Actually, I'd like the original Red Alert sound for a ringer.

My own favorite is the red hotline phone sound from "Our Man Flint" but alas
I've only been able to find it in WAVE format, and my current phone can only
do MIDI/polyphnic. :(

November 3, 2004 1:13:54 AM

In article <08Thd.3187$_3.35216@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <elmop-52161A.16335102112004@text.usenetserver.com> on Tue, 02 Nov 2004
> 16:33:52 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <v21eo0tdbqus5sdhtr7pvd791rf9m09uer@4ax.com>,
> > p51d007 <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You guys can drop the thread, I found the sounds I was looking for,
> >> bluetooth downloaded them onto the phone, and they sound great.
> >> Thanks!
> >
> >Can you share the wealth?
> >
> >Actually, I'd like the original Red Alert sound for a ringer.
>
> My own favorite is the red hotline phone sound from "Our Man Flint" but alas
> I've only been able to find it in WAVE format, and my current phone can only
> do MIDI/polyphnic. :(

http://www.wirelessmatt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6732

short and sweet (after you register)
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:54:58 PM

Are these the sounds you are looking for?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:05:31 PM

whbtrack.netfirms.com/samples/commsounds.zip

Sorry didn't realize you couldn't put up binaries here.
---TheDoctor
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:09:39 PM

In <627cq05p0qdalqqj6if698qn1cnsp3ofbn@4ax.com> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:54:58
-0500, TheDoctor <TheDoctor@aol.com> wrote:

>Are these the sounds you are looking for?

Please do NOT post binaries to this group.

November 26, 2004 12:09:40 PM

In article <npCpd.7809$_3.95303@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >Are these the sounds you are looking for?
>
> Please do NOT post binaries to this group.

1) no binaries attached--why are you bitching about it?

2) nobody cares what you want, Navas. You're just blowing hot air.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 7:24:25 PM

In <elmop-2A8A37.06435326112004@text.usenetserver.com> on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
06:43:53 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <npCpd.7809$_3.95303@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >Are these the sounds you are looking for?
>>
>> Please do NOT post binaries to this group.
>
>1) no binaries attached--why are you bitching about it?

A binary was posted as message (0/0). You apparently didn't see it, probably
because many news providers filter binaries out from text groups (in
accordance with Usenet guidelines).

>[SNIP usual childishness]

November 26, 2004 7:43:36 PM

Yup I screwed up, sorry about that, that's why I posted the link. My
bad.
---TheDoctor

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:24:25 GMT, John Navas

!