danped

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hi,

OS WinXP
Motherboard Asus P4C800-E

I recently bought a SATA drive to add to my sytem which had two IDE drives in it already.

I sucessfully connected my SATA and copied across my OS and all data onto the new drive using True image.

The SATA drive I can now boot from and works fine. However I have connected the two IDe drives on the same IDE port (one as master one as slave) as they were set up previously. The BIOS recognises all three hard disks fine and I have set the boot order up correctly.

When windows boots I can't see the two IDe drives and the installing new hardware wizard pops up to say "Installing new hardware" and then says "there was a problem installing this hardware, Driver is not intended for this device"

When I look in device manager there is a "!" on the IDE drives.

How can I get windows to recognise my IDe drives?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Tey downloading and installing the latest windows drivers for your mobo from the manufacturers site directly (never use Microsoft WinShit drivers for mobo!).

Try also flashing the latest BIOS revision.

danped

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for the reply - The mobo recognises everything fine. I haven't flashed a BIOS before so I;m a bit retiscent to do so unless you think that is definitely the problem

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Not definetively sure, but It could be... when you encounter this kind of problems usually it's caused by the drivers or the BIOS.

danped

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Woohoo!

I flashed my BIOS and now they work! :lol:

However I am still getting the IDE auto install on wondows startup and it still failed :?: