the diff. between 2 mb and 4 mb of cache

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Hey guys,
unfortunately, when I ordered my Conroe from TigerDirect, I must've been excited or something because I orderd the E6400 when I MEANT to order the E6600!!! ARG! OK so the Ghz isn't that big of a deal because OC'ing will take care of that (2.13 Ghz compared to 2.4 Ghz)...But what about the 2 mb vs. 4 mb of cache?
I guess I should expect some dumbass answer of "it's double the memory!" . But besides that, what kind of performance increase do you think it offers? Is it enough difference to blow my face off or is it just sort of noticeable? I WOULD try and exchange it, but I'd probably have to pay shipping both ways, as well as a restocking fee on top of the extra $100 it costs.

Robteam70

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Anand did a test on this, comparing equally clocked Conroes with 2 and 4 megs of cache. If I remember correctly, the benefit of having 4 megs varied from 0 to 10 percent depending on the application, but averaged only a 3.5 percent gain in performance overall.

Here's two articles:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=4

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_2.html

The difference are mostly negligible unless you are talking about multimedia encoding. The extra 2MB gives DivX encoding a 10% boost, iTunes gets a 9.1% increase and WME9 encoding gets a 8.4% increase.

The performance increase for games is smaller. The biggest is in Quake of 6.7%, followed by Oblivion (Dungeon), and F.E.A.R. of 5.3%. Note, F.E.A.R. is from Xbitlab's. Anandtech and Xbitlab's test setups do not use exactly the same hardwares.

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hey guys,
unfortunately, when I ordered my Conroe from TigerDirect, I must've been excited or something because I orderd the E6400 when I MEANT to order the E6600!!! ARG! OK so the Ghz isn't that big of a deal because OC'ing will take care of that (2.13 Ghz compared to 2.4 Ghz)...But what about the 2 mb vs. 4 mb of cache?
I guess I should expect some dumbass answer of "it's double the memory!" . But besides that, what kind of performance increase do you think it offers? Is it enough difference to blow my face off or is it just sort of noticeable? I WOULD try and exchange it, but I'd probably have to pay shipping both ways, as well as a restocking fee on top of the extra $100 it costs.

I think you still made a great choice. OC that baby and dont worry about the extra 2mb of cache and cash ZOMG PUN!! :!:

more cache dont always mean better perfomance. I dont know if extra 10min encoding(max) will bother you.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Hey guys thanks for all the info, you made me feel a lot better about my accidental-purchase! :) And I saved $100 so that works too. Yeah I'm hoping in combination with the new Asus P5W DH that OC'ing will be easy and productive.

Larger caches decrease the miss rate when data/instruction is needed, the difference going from 512 to 1 meg (as in an AMD processor) is not huge, but the difference going from 512 to 2 meg (4-fold increase) is significant, going from 2 meg to 4 meg is not as significant-- however, with large workloads/data transfers it could make a difference in multitasking.

This would be a nice bench to see......

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any benchmarks that shows the effects on multi-tasking, therefore I don't want to speculate on that aspect.

But you are correct, that would be a nice benchie to see.