Mount share at startup but before login

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi

I have a Windows 2000 server on which I would like to mount (net share)
another drive at startup but before login.

If found this articicle which lets you do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243486&Product=win2000

However the AutoExNT Service you need to do this apprently comes in a
Resource Kit, of which I can only find a download resource kit for Windows
2003 server and Win XP - this resource kit is NOT compatible with Windows
2000 server (I have tried it).

Does anyone know where I can download the AutoExNT Service for Windows 2000
or is there another way to run a batch script that mounts a share at startup
but before anybody logs into that server?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo
4 answers Last reply
More about mount share startup login
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Why not use a UNC path instead?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "news.amnet.net.au" wrote:
    | Hi
    |
    | I have a Windows 2000 server on which I would like to mount (net share)
    | another drive at startup but before login.
    |
    | If found this articicle which lets you do this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243486&Product=win2000

    | However the AutoExNT Service you need to do this apprently comes in a
    | Resource Kit, of which I can only find a download resource kit for Windows
    | 2003 server and Win XP - this resource kit is NOT compatible with Windows
    | 2000 server (I have tried it).
    |
    | Does anyone know where I can download the AutoExNT Service for Windows
    2000
    | or is there another way to run a batch script that mounts a share at
    startup
    | but before anybody logs into that server?
    |
    | Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Hugo

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi Dave

    I actually tried the UNC path but this is an Oracle issue where I would
    "check out" files from Internet File System (IFS) back to a common area for
    users to edit files, which then can be uploaded again to IFS in a controlled
    way. The strange thing is that these files cannot be downloaded to the share
    from the server using a UNC path.

    Any ideas on how to "automount" a share to a drive letter, using "net use"
    without having someone log in first?

    Thanks

    Hugo

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Why not use a UNC path instead?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "news.amnet.net.au" wrote:
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I have a Windows 2000 server on which I would like to mount (net share)
    > | another drive at startup but before login.
    > |
    > | If found this articicle which lets you do this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243486&Product=win2000

    > | However the AutoExNT Service you need to do this apprently comes in a
    > | Resource Kit, of which I can only find a download resource kit for
    Windows
    > | 2003 server and Win XP - this resource kit is NOT compatible with
    Windows
    > | 2000 server (I have tried it).
    > |
    > | Does anyone know where I can download the AutoExNT Service for Windows
    > 2000
    > | or is there another way to run a batch script that mounts a share at
    > startup
    > | but before anybody logs into that server?
    > |
    > | Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Hugo

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    If you have the support tools for Windows 2003 then it should work fine on
    Windows 2000 as well.

    (under system requirements)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/autoexnt.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/autoexnt_remarks.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

    --

    "news.amnet.net.au" wrote:
    | Hi Dave
    |
    | I actually tried the UNC path but this is an Oracle issue where I would
    | "check out" files from Internet File System (IFS) back to a common area
    for
    | users to edit files, which then can be uploaded again to IFS in a
    controlled
    | way. The strange thing is that these files cannot be downloaded to the
    share
    | from the server using a UNC path.
    |
    | Any ideas on how to "automount" a share to a drive letter, using "net use"
    | without having someone log in first?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Hugo
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    news.amnet.net.au wrote:
    > Windows 2000 or is there another way to run a batch script that
    > mounts a share at startup but before anybody logs into that server?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hugo

    Using Group Policy Objects you can set a Startup Script.

Login Microsoft Servers Windows