Character editor?

I'm just wondering if there's any way to alter the stats of a character that
you've already started playing. I chose an out-of-the-box Barbarian
character, and he's doing quite well, but one of his Major skills is
"Block", which is useless for me, because I never use a shield. (I like
2-handed weapons much better.) I'd like to replace that with something I'd
actually use, but I'd have to start over a new character. (I did start a
new character, and custom built this time, but I still prefer playing the
Barbarian at this point.) Also, for some reason, the Barbarian comes with
both Medium and Light Armor as primary skills, which seems redundant. I've
already maxed Axe and almost maxed Blunt Weapon and Medium Armor, so I was
thinking I'd just switch over to Light Armor, just so I can keep levelling.
It occurs to me that once all your major and minor skills are maxed, you're
pretty much done levelling, and all you can do is beef up the miscelaneous
skills. Though I guess by then, you'd kick enough ass that you wouldn't
need any more levels, but it's still upsetting knowing there's a maximum.
(I've heard of people getting themselves arrested intentionally, so that
they lose skills in jail and have to work them back up again, thereby
getting more levels, but that just seems like cheating...)
9 answers Last reply
More about character editor

    What a wild coincidence... I was just going to post that same question just
    this very moment...

    I hope someone has an answer to this. I was wanting to trade my unarmored
    skill for something else.

    Thanks

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    > I'm just wondering if there's any way to alter the stats of a character that
    > you've already started playing. I chose an out-of-the-box Barbarian
    > character, and he's doing quite well, but one of his Major skills is
    > "Block", which is useless for me, because I never use a shield. (I like
    > 2-handed weapons much better.) I'd like to replace that with something I'd
    > actually use, but I'd have to start over a new character. (I did start a
    > new character, and custom built this time, but I still prefer playing the
    > Barbarian at this point.) Also, for some reason, the Barbarian comes with
    > both Medium and Light Armor as primary skills, which seems redundant. I've
    > already maxed Axe and almost maxed Blunt Weapon and Medium Armor, so I was
    > thinking I'd just switch over to Light Armor, just so I can keep levelling.
    > It occurs to me that once all your major and minor skills are maxed, you're
    > pretty much done levelling, and all you can do is beef up the miscelaneous
    > skills. Though I guess by then, you'd kick enough ass that you wouldn't
    > need any more levels, but it's still upsetting knowing there's a maximum.
    > (I've heard of people getting themselves arrested intentionally, so that
    > they lose skills in jail and have to work them back up again, thereby
    > getting more levels, but that just seems like cheating...)

    Only way to alter after is to use the console (PC Only) so to alter your
    class you would fire up the console tilde (~) key and type 'EnableClassMenu'

    ~Cameron

    Cameron wrote:
    > Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm just wondering if there's any way to alter the stats of a
    >> character that
    >> you've already started playing. I chose an out-of-the-box Barbarian
    >> character, and he's doing quite well, but one of his Major skills is
    >> "Block", which is useless for me, because I never use a shield. (I like
    >> 2-handed weapons much better.) I'd like to replace that with
    >> something I'd
    >> actually use, but I'd have to start over a new character. (I did start a
    >> new character, and custom built this time, but I still prefer playing the
    >> Barbarian at this point.) Also, for some reason, the Barbarian comes
    >> with
    >> both Medium and Light Armor as primary skills, which seems redundant.
    >> I've
    >> already maxed Axe and almost maxed Blunt Weapon and Medium Armor, so I
    >> was
    >> thinking I'd just switch over to Light Armor, just so I can keep
    >> levelling.
    >> It occurs to me that once all your major and minor skills are maxed,
    >> you're
    >> pretty much done levelling, and all you can do is beef up the
    >> miscelaneous
    >> skills. Though I guess by then, you'd kick enough ass that you wouldn't
    >> need any more levels, but it's still upsetting knowing there's a maximum.
    >> (I've heard of people getting themselves arrested intentionally, so that
    >> they lose skills in jail and have to work them back up again, thereby
    >> getting more levels, but that just seems like cheating...)
    >>

    > Only way to alter after is to use the console (PC Only) so to alter your
    > class you would fire up the console tilde (~) key and type
    > 'EnableClassMenu'
    >
    > ~Cameron

    N.B. this may reset some/all of your info & inventory, I have read
    differing things about it.

    ~Cameron

    open the console and type
    enableracemenu

    it gives you the character creation screens from the start of the game -
    once you redefine your character simply save the game

    (you will probaly need to enter your inventory and redo clothing and
    stuff - when you exit the screen the sharacter will wear every item of
    clothing and unequip your sword - no biggie)

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:41:04 +0000, Cameron <cam@foo.bar.invalid> wrote:

    > Cameron wrote:
    >> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >>
    >>> [How do I change my primary skills for an active character?]
    >>>

    >> Only way to alter after is to use the console (PC Only) so to alter
    >> your class you would fire up the console tilde (~) key and type
    >> 'EnableClassMenu'
    >>
    >> ~Cameron
    >
    > N.B. this may reset some/all of your info & inventory, I have read
    > differing things about it.

    Yes, it will reset your stats, but you can change them as well.
    Write down your stat values on paper before you enter 'EnableRaceMenu'.
    Change your Class (and thus your primary skills) and reset your
    stats to what they were before. The command structure is

    player->setABC ##

    where ABC is:
    - level (changes your level)
    - health (changes your hitpoints)
    - magicka
    - fatigue
    - strength
    - acrobatics
    - ... (you get the point)

    and ## is the stat value.

    So if your character had a sneak capability of 30, you would enter
    player->setsneak 30
    into the console. Do this for all stats. You will still lose the
    advance between stat levels, but that is a minor loss.

    Save your game afterwards (use a fresh savegame), exit and reload.

    Hope I could help.
    Bjoern

    > So if your character had a sneak capability of 30, you would enter
    > player->setsneak 30
    > into the console. Do this for all stats. You will still lose the
    > advance between stat levels, but that is a minor loss.
    >
    > Save your game afterwards (use a fresh savegame), exit and reload.

    Okay, one thing I'm worried about. Say I have a skill I've been using and
    advancing a lot, which is one of my Misc. skills, and I make it a Major or
    Minor skill. (replacing a Major/Minor skill that I haven't used at all,
    like Block) Would my level also go up automatically to reflect the extra
    points in that skill that was previously a Misc. skill? Or would I now end
    up with skills higher than a character of my level should technically have?
    (And could I correct that manually? I assume it would be possible...) I
    know that this is technically cheating, but since it was my first character,
    and I didn't at the time feel up to building a custom character class, I
    went with one of the defaults, not realizing that there were several skills
    I would never use. So basically, I want to correct that mistake, and yet
    leave the stats as they were if I'd legitimately done it right from the
    beginning. (This game is way too long already, so I really don't want to
    start over again...)

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >>So if your character had a sneak capability of 30, you would enter
    >>player->setsneak 30
    >>into the console. Do this for all stats. You will still lose the
    >>advance between stat levels, but that is a minor loss.
    >>
    >>Save your game afterwards (use a fresh savegame), exit and reload.
    >

    > Okay, one thing I'm worried about. Say I have a skill I've been using and
    > advancing a lot, which is one of my Misc. skills, and I make it a Major or
    > Minor skill. (replacing a Major/Minor skill that I haven't used at all,
    > like Block) Would my level also go up automatically to reflect the extra
    > points in that skill that was previously a Misc. skill? Or would I now end
    > up with skills higher than a character of my level should technically have?
    > (And could I correct that manually? I assume it would be possible...) I
    > know that this is technically cheating, but since it was my first character,
    > and I didn't at the time feel up to building a custom character class, I
    > went with one of the defaults, not realizing that there were several skills
    > I would never use. So basically, I want to correct that mistake, and yet
    > leave the stats as they were if I'd legitimately done it right from the
    > beginning. (This game is way too long already, so I really don't want to
    > start over again...)

    More than likely your level will remain the same as it was before the
    change and your skills will be "misaligned"

    You can alter nearly any aspect of your character.
    http://www.uesp.net/morrow/editor/mw_cscommands.shtml#setlevel
    but my opinion would be start again.

    ~Cameron

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:44:16 -0500, Darrel Hoffman <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

    >> So if your character had a sneak capability of 30, you would enter
    >> player->setsneak 30
    >> into the console. Do this for all stats. You will still lose the
    >> advance between stat levels, but that is a minor loss.
    >>
    >> Save your game afterwards (use a fresh savegame), exit and reload.
    >
    > Okay, one thing I'm worried about. Say I have a skill I've been using
    > and
    > advancing a lot, which is one of my Misc. skills, and I make it a Major
    > or
    > Minor skill. (replacing a Major/Minor skill that I haven't used at all,
    > like Block) Would my level also go up automatically to reflect the extra
    > points in that skill that was previously a Misc. skill? Or would I now
    > end
    > up with skills higher than a character of my level should technically
    > have?

    That's exactly the case. The game cannot know that you changed your
    class while playing and it doesn't keep record of skill advances you
    already used for levelling up.

    > (And could I correct that manually? I assume it would be possible...)

    Yes, you can correct that. It's easy, but it is also a bit of work.
    Basically you'll have to compare what is and what should be. I'll
    elaborate on this by using an example:

    Let's assume you want your changed character to be a Dunmer Agent
    who was born under the sign of the Atronach. (Some birthsigns give
    you attribute bonus, so you need to pay attention to it.)
    At level 1 this character would start with the following skills:
    Major: Speechcraft 35, Sneak 35, Acrobatics 35, Light Armor 40 and
    Short Blade 45
    Minor: Mercantile 20, Illusion 15, Unarmored 15, Conjuration 15 and
    Block 15
    Since the maximum profiency in a skill is 100, this leaves your
    character with 65+65+65+60+55 + 80+85+85+85+85 = 730 possible skill
    boosts. You need 10 skill boosts to reach the next level, so this
    character could reach level 74 (without cheating or the help of
    Master Trainers).

    Compare this to what your current stats are. Let's assume your stats
    read as follows:
    Major: Speechcraft 40, Sneak 56, Acrobatics 53, Light Armor 50 and
    Short Blade 60
    Minor: Mercantile 27, Illusion 22, Unarmored 19, Conjuration 18 and
    Block 15
    That leaves your character with 60+44+47+50+40 + 73+78+81+82+85 = 640
    possible skill boosts. So your character should be at level 10
    (=(730-640)/10 + 1 = 9 + 1). The 1 is your starting level 1.
    So if your character is only at level 8, you should correct it by
    typing "player->setlevel 10" into the Console.

    > I know that this is technically cheating, but since it was my first
    > character,
    > and I didn't at the time feel up to building a custom character class, I
    > went with one of the defaults, not realizing that there were several
    > skills
    > I would never use. So basically, I want to correct that mistake, and yet
    > leave the stats as they were if I'd legitimately done it right from the
    > beginning. (This game is way too long already, so I really don't want to
    > start over again...)

    You needn't worry about that. Once you've reached something like level 50,
    you don't even care about it anymore. By the way (slight spoiler):
    Even if you've reached maximum proficiency at a skill, you can continue
    to train it with a Master Trainer. You will need to boost the governing
    attribute (for example Speed for Short Blade) beyond 100 to do so. Your
    skill will remain at 100, but you may further upgrade your level that way.
    For example, I'm playing a level 90 Nightblade to test new mods and
    explore new areas. That level did cost me quite some money, but I find
    it comfortable to know that there are very few enemies who could seriously
    disturb my tests.

    Bjoern

    > You needn't worry about that. Once you've reached something like level 50,
    > you don't even care about it anymore. By the way (slight spoiler):
    > Even if you've reached maximum proficiency at a skill, you can continue
    > to train it with a Master Trainer. You will need to boost the governing
    > attribute (for example Speed for Short Blade) beyond 100 to do so. Your
    > skill will remain at 100, but you may further upgrade your level that way.
    > For example, I'm playing a level 90 Nightblade to test new mods and
    > explore new areas. That level did cost me quite some money, but I find
    > it comfortable to know that there are very few enemies who could seriously
    > disturb my tests.

    But - in order to increase your attributes beyond 100 - I'm assuming you're
    using some sort of items to do that. I've already maxed out Strength and
    Endurance at 100. There's a certain quest I saw with another character,
    where you meet this naked guy and help him take revenge on the witch that
    stole his clothes, and he rewards you by giving you 2 free points of
    Strength. But since this character was already at 100 when he did the
    quest, his reward was Jack Bupkis. Should've killed the guy and stolen his
    axe instead... (Not sure if it's even worth the effort. The axe I've got
    is pretty good already...)

Video Games