XFX 6800XT Compatibility Problem?

blankman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Hoping I can get some help from the forums here... I recently bought an XFX 6800XT (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150163) and tried to install it in my machine. When I try to boot the machine, it POSTs, but the display goes blank when it tries to load Windows. If I try Safe Mode and watch the list of drivers, it always blanks out after loading nv_agp.sys. I've RMAed the card for a replacement and had the same problem with both cards, so I'm wondering if the card is just not compatible with my motherboard. The motherboard is an Epox nForce3 board (http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-8KDA3J). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hoping I can get some help from the forums here... I recently bought an XFX 6800XT (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150163) and tried to install it in my machine. When I try to boot the machine, it POSTs, but the display goes blank when it tries to load Windows. If I try Safe Mode and watch the list of drivers, it always blanks out after loading nv_agp.sys. I've RMAed the card for a replacement and had the same problem with both cards, so I'm wondering if the card is just not compatible with my motherboard. The motherboard is an Epox nForce3 board (http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-8KDA3J). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have an Epox NF4 SLI board with two 7600Gt's. If I use the 91.31 Nvidia drivers I get a lot of blank screens and failure to load windows. Once I get to windows the 91.31 run fine, however. I have no problem with the Nvidia 84.21 drivers. Work fine, no hanging into windows, no blank screen.

here, about 7the down the page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

blankman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks. I'm not sure if that will work for me, since I can't even get to Windows at all to install drivers unless I put in a different card (as I type this, there's a Radeon 9500 in here). I guess I can try running the setup for the older drivers, then shutting down and installing the card.

I had a little trouble installing the chipset drivers on the Epox NF4 SLi MB when I built it. Eventually I got everything installed from the CD and then updated. I still was having a lock up booting into windows. I installed the 84.21 drivers and it solved my problem. Have used the computer every day since I built it and I even swapped out the processor the other night with no problems. So, when your using the ATI 9550 you are in windows and the EPOX board works correctly? Check the Device manager and be sure all the system drivers are installed.

It might be worth a try installing the 84.31 drivers, shutting down, then installing the 6800xt. Hope you don't crash and can't use it at all! If that happens, reset the CMOS and put the ATI back in! :)

blankman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
84.31 drivers wouldn't install unless there was an nvidia card in the system. I managed to boot with the 6800 installed by putting a really old PCI video card in another slot and booting with that driving the main monitor. After that, I was able to load up drivers for the 6800 and extend the desktop onto it, and do pretty much anything once I was in Windows. But when I took out the old PCI card back out and tried to boot with only the 6800, I was back where I started, unable to boot into Windows. Very strange problem, maybe it has something to do with chipset drivers? I recently got the latest chipset drivers from epox's website though.

84.31 drivers wouldn't install unless there was an nvidia card in the system. I managed to boot with the 6800 installed by putting a really old PCI video card in another slot and booting with that driving the main monitor. After that, I was able to load up drivers for the 6800 and extend the desktop onto it, and do pretty much anything once I was in Windows. But when I took out the old PCI card back out and tried to boot with only the 6800, I was back where I started, unable to boot into Windows. Very strange problem, maybe it has something to do with chipset drivers? I recently got the latest chipset drivers from epox's website though.

ummmm...can you try the 6800xt in another system to see if it works? I'm sure it does though, you already RMA's it. The only thing I can think of would be to do a complete reinstall of windows and the drivers from the MB cd. When I built my EPOX NF4 SLI board, loading the drivers (chipset in particular) went quirky. Look in the Device manager and see if their are any devices not working or without drivers. That's all I got. Hope it helps. Let me know if you solve it.

mrquin27

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Ok I had that problem like 3 days ago it did the exact same thing. I have 2 cards what you have and a 7900gt. with the 7900 it would show the bios but then black once it tried loading windows (i could hear it load rofl). Then i put my 6800xt in and it booted just fine, I deleted everything Nvidia off my pc and still my 7900 would not go. So I reformated with it and it works perfectly fine.