Networking a Windows 98 computer

Janice

We are trying to network a Windows 98 computer to a
Windows 2000 Advanced Server computer. When we log into
the 98 computer we get a message that says "no domain
service was available to validate your password." When we
check My Network Places we cannot see the other computers
in the network.

Can anyone give us some advice on what settings we should
be look at?

Thanks.

"Janice" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to network a Windows 98 computer to a
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server computer. When we log into
> the 98 computer we get a message that says "no domain
> service was available to validate your password." When we
> check My Network Places we cannot see the other computers
> in the network.
>
> Can anyone give us some advice on what settings we should
> be look at?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Janice. Are you using DHCP by any chance?

For starters, make sure that the Primary DNS setting is pointing to the DNS
on your Server and make sure that the domain name is entered correctly under
identification in Control Panel|System.

I hope this helps,

Cameron:)

Robert

install DC client on the win98 machine.

"Cameron Dorrough" <cdorrough@nortonconsultants.com> wrote in message
> "Janice" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are trying to network a Windows 98 computer to a
> > Windows 2000 Advanced Server computer. When we log into
> > the 98 computer we get a message that says "no domain
> > service was available to validate your password." When we
> > check My Network Places we cannot see the other computers
> > in the network.
> >
> > Can anyone give us some advice on what settings we should
> > be look at?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi Janice. Are you using DHCP by any chance?
>
> For starters, make sure that the Primary DNS setting is pointing to the
DNS
> on your Server and make sure that the domain name is entered correctly
under
> identification in Control Panel|System.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Cameron:)

---

"robert" <rob@ms.com> wrote in message
> install DC client on the win98 machine.

1. You shouldn't need it to log on to the domain.
2. It seems that only the NT version is on the Microsoft site.

Cameron:)