Windows task manager

When I open the taskmanager I now only have a processes
box with no tabs along the top or any wat of minimisig or
closing the box .What have I done
5 answers Last reply
More about windows task manager

    Go to the following website, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
    scroll to line 264 and click "Restore Missing Tabs to Task Manager" in the
    left column. Then save and run the file.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Gwjphantom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I open the taskmanager I now only have a processes
    > box with no tabs along the top or any wat of minimisig or
    > closing the box .What have I done

    Hi,

    Double-click the border, you are in tiny footprint mode. See:

    Task Manager Menu Bar and Tabs Are Not Visible in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314227

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gwjphantom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I open the taskmanager I now only have a processes
    > box with no tabs along the top or any wat of minimisig or
    > closing the box .What have I done

    Rick wrote
    > Double-click the border, you are in tiny footprint mode.

    Thank you for the trick!

    Hi

    I'm having what seems to be a familair problem with Task Manager,
    Regedit etc.

    I've updated my AVG definitions, scanned in safe mode and normal, run
    a couple of the suggested online scanners, run Spybot and Spyware
    Doctor. And (!) I've tried Doug's various utilities (Security Console
    and XP_taskmgrenab included) and I Task Manager is still greyed out. I
    can however run everything when I boot in Safe Mode.

    So I've used Doug's Program Tracker and I'm hoping someone can help me
    decipher what the heck is going on.

    Many thanks in advance and please don't tell me to run a virus
    check!!!!

    -- Registry --
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    No Items Found

    -- Registry --

    IgfxTray C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    HotKeysCmds C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    Apoint C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
    Dell QuickSet C:\Program
    Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
    bascstray BascsTray.exe
    DVDSentry C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    AVG_CC C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
    /STARTUP
    vptray C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
    -atboottime
    Openwares LiveUpdate C:\Program
    Files\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
    RoxioEngineUtility "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio
    Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
    RoxioAudioCentral "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator
    6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
    GSICONEXE gsicon.exe
    DSLAGENTEXE dslagent.exe USB
    MMTray C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    mmtask C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    SmcService C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui

    -- Registry --
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    No Items Found

    -- Registry --

    H/PC Connection Agent "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
    Creative Detector C:\Program
    Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
    SpySweeper "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy
    Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
    ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

    -- Registry --
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    No Items Found

    -- Start Menu - Current User --
    DESKTOP.INI

    -- Start Menu - All Users --
    Acrobat Assistant.lnk
    BTTray.lnk
    Dataviz Messenger.lnk
    DESKTOP.INI
    Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk
    Phone Connection Monitor.lnk
    Service Manager.lnk

    -- Disabled Items --
    No Items Found

    -- Registry - Shell Value - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon --
    Explorer.exe

    -- Running Processes --
    System Idle Process
    System
    smss.exe \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
    csrss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On
    SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1
    ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
    ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
    MaxRequestThreads=16
    winlogon.exe winlogon.exe
    services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    Smc.exe "C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe"
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
    spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    scardsvr.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\SCardSvr.exe
    avgserv.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
    BAsfIpM.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\basfipm.exe
    btwdins.exe "C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth
    Software\bin\btwdins.exe"
    cisvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    CTSVCCDA.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    defwatch.exe "C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe"
    inetinfo.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
    sqlservr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe
    rtvscan.exe "C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe"
    svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
    wdfmgr.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
    WLTRYSVC.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    MsPMSPSv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    BCMWLTRY.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    alg.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    REGSVR.EXE C:\WINDOWS\REGSVR.EXE
    hkcmd.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe"
    Apoint.exe "C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe"
    quickset.exe "C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe"
    DSentry.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe"
    avgcc32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe" /STARTUP
    ApntEx.exe "Apntex.exe"
    vptray.exe "C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe"
    RxMon.exe "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator
    6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
    gsicon.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsicon.exe"
    dslagent.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dslagent.exe" USB
    mm_tray.exe "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
    mmtask.exe "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
    wcescomm.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
    CTDetect.exe "C:\Program
    Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
    SpySweeper.exe "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy
    Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
    ctfmon.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe"
    Playlist.exe "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator
    6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe" -Embedding
    acrotray.exe "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
    6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe"
    BTTray.exe "C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth
    Software\BTTray.exe"
    DvzMsgr.exe "C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe"
    audevicemgr.exe "C:\Program Files\Sony
    Ericsson\Mobile\audevicemgr.exe"
    sqlmangr.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
    Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe" /n
    MROUTE~2.EXE c:\PROGRA~1\INTUWA~1\Shared\MROUTE~1\MROUTE~2.EXE
    -Embedding
    BTStackServer.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Dell\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE -Embedding
    CONNMN~1.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\SONYER~1\Mobile\CONNEC~1\CONNMN~1.EXE
    -Embedding
    OUTLOOK.EXE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /recycle
    SYNCIN~1.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\SONYER~1\Mobile\SYNCIN~1.EXE
    -Embedding
    CIDAEMON.EXE "cidaemon.exe" DownLevelDaemon "c:\system volume
    information\catalog.wci" 196672l 1616l
    CIDAEMON.EXE "cidaemon.exe" DownLevelDaemon "c:\documents and
    settings\all users\application data\microsoft\visio\catalog.wci"
    196672l 1616l
    CIDAEMON.EXE "cidaemon.exe" DownLevelDaemon
    "c:\inetpub\catalog.wci" 196672l 1616l
    wuauclt.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe"
    iexplore.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    WINZIP32.EXE "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe" "C:\Documents
    and Settings\jamie.UK0\Desktop\StartupTracker3.zip"
    StartupTracker3.exe "c:\TEMP\StartupTracker3.exe"
    wmiprvse.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

    -- Running Services --

    Name: ALG
    Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

    Name: AudioSrv
    service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function
    properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: AvgServ
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe

    Name: BAsfIpM
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\basfipm.exe

    Name: BITS
    bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update,
    and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and
    other information. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have
    a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case
    BITS has been disabled.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: Browser
    supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this
    service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If
    this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: btwdins
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\Program Files\Dell\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

    Name: CiSvc
    remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible
    querying language.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe

    Name: Creative Service for CDROM Access
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE

    Name: CryptSvc
    Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected
    Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification
    Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which
    helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is
    stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this
    service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: DcomLaunch
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch

    Name: DefWatch
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe

    Name: Dhcp
    IP addresses and DNS names.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: dmserver
    volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for
    configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk status and
    configuration information may become out of date. If this service is
    disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
    start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: Dnscache
    this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be
    able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain
    controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

    Name: ERSvc
    running in non-standard environments.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: Eventlog
    programs and components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service
    cannot be stopped.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

    Name: EventSystem
    provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component
    Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will
    close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications.
    If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
    will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: helpsvc
    If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: HidServ
    (HID), which activates and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons
    on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. If this
    service is stopped, hot buttons controlled by this service will no
    longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: IISADMIN
    Internet Information Services snap-in
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

    Name: Irmon
    detects other devices that are in range.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: lanmanserver
    network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions
    will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that
    explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: LanmanWorkstation
    remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: LmHosts
    and NetBIOS name resolution.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

    Name: MSSQLSERVER
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe

    Name: Netlogon
    events for computers in a domain.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe

    Name: Netman
    folder, in which you can view both local area network and remote
    connections.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: Nla
    information, and notifies applications when this information changes.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: Norton AntiVirus Server
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe

    Name: PlugPlay
    changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this
    service will result in system instability.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

    Name: ProtectedStorage
    private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes,
    or users.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

    Name: RasMan
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: RemoteRegistry
    computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified
    only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

    Name: RpcSs
    services.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss

    Name: SamSs
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

    Name: SCardSvr
    this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart
    cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\SCardSvr.exe

    Name: Schedule
    on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will not be
    run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: seclogon
    If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be
    unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
    depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: SENS
    power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: SharedAccess
    resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small
    office network.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: ShellHWDetection
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: SmcService
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

    Name: SMTPSVC
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

    Name: Spooler
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

    Name: SSDPSRV
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

    Name: stisvc
    cameras.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc

    Name: TapiSrv
    control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local
    computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the
    service.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: TermService
    machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote
    computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for
    Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal
    Server.
    Startup Mode: Manual
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost -k DComLaunch

    Name: Themes
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: TrkWks
    across computers in a network domain.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: UMWdf
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe

    Name: w32time
    and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time
    synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: W3SVC
    Internet Information Services snap-in
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

    Name: WebClient
    modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these
    functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any
    services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

    Name: winmgmt
    management information about operating system, devices, applications
    and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software
    will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services
    that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: WLTRYSVC
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe

    Name: WMDM PMSP Service
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe

    Name: wuauserv
    updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be
    manually updated at the Windows Update Web site.
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    Name: WZCSVC
    Startup Mode: Auto
    Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP