Sign in with
Your question

Which conroe and how far can i overclock?

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2006 3:14:12 AM

this is the mobo and ram i'm getting for my new conroe build. i just like to know how far i can overclock the E6600 and E6400 w/o volt mod. also which one should i get and will the extra 2mb chache make a noticable difference between the 2 models?

mobo- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131030

ram- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231073

More about : conroe overclock

August 1, 2006 8:44:52 AM

The only 2 Conroe chips I would consider buying are the E6300 and the E6600. Personally, I would go for the E6600. If the cache doesn't make a HUGE difference now (the difference should still be noticable), it will in the near future.

I would swap that RAM for this set:

Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

I say this because Corsair is generally a more reliable brand that can also sustain a better OC. The Asus P5B for the motherboard is a good pick. Should be able to achieve some pretty good overclocks with it.
August 1, 2006 3:02:42 PM

what kind of difference does the extra 2mb cache make? (like better overclocking or faster speed, etc..)
Related resources
August 1, 2006 3:54:22 PM

Quote:
what kind of difference does the extra 2mb cache make? (like better overclocking or faster speed, etc..)

Well lets have a lesson in the memory controller to explain this one. Simple answer is more cache an Intel CPU has the faster it goes. If technical jargan bores you, you can stop reading this post now, because the short answer works. :) 

Now then, Intel puts the memory controller (the chip that allows the CPU to talk to the RAM) on the Northbridge and connects to it using the Front Side Bus (FSB). The FSB on a Core2 system is 1066 (533x2 hence DDR2-533 RAM is required). For the CPU to get something out of RAM, it must ask the memory controller on the Northbridge for access. Problem is, other compents use the Northbridge too. WHen the RAM is clocked 1:1 to the FSB, any other devices using the Northbridge can slow down the bandwidth the RAM can generate. So, to make up for this, Intel includes a large cache on the CPU. Cache is ultra-fast memory that frequently used instructions are stored in. By cutting down requests to the RAM, the FSB is less likely to saturate and cause bottlenecks.
August 1, 2006 4:36:04 PM

Quote:

Well lets have a lesson in the memory controller to explain this one. Simple answer is more cache an Intel CPU has the faster it goes. If technical jargan bores you, you can stop reading this post now, because the short answer works. :) 

Now then, Intel puts the memory controller (the chip that allows the CPU to talk to the RAM) on the Northbridge and connects to it using the Front Side Bus (FSB). The FSB on a Core2 system is 1066 (533x2 hence DDR2-533 RAM is required). For the CPU to get something out of RAM, it must ask the memory controller on the Northbridge for access. Problem is, other compents use the Northbridge too. WHen the RAM is clocked 1:1 to the FSB, any other devices using the Northbridge can slow down the bandwidth the RAM can generate. So, to make up for this, Intel includes a large cache on the CPU. Cache is ultra-fast memory that frequently used instructions are stored in. By cutting down requests to the RAM, the FSB is less likely to saturate and cause bottlenecks.

Umm, isn't the fsp quad-pumped, as in 266 x 4?
August 1, 2006 5:13:26 PM

i'm on a budget and i'm not an extreme overclockers so would the E6400 do me well. i intend overclocking it to 3.0ghz maxium if it's possible with the board and ram i've chosen. also someone posted that the ram i chose and the board i chose is a bad combination why?
August 1, 2006 5:28:20 PM

Asus boards can be kind of picky when it comes to memory. For overclocking Corsair is known to work very well with Asus mobos. If your attempting to hit 3ghz with the E6400 you will need an after market cooler and some good thermal paste. All the reviews I have read (3 or 4) the highest people could get out of the E6400 on stock cooling was around 2.8ghz.
August 1, 2006 5:32:46 PM

with some good case cooling iv heard people hitting 3ghz and over on stock air cooling :D 
August 1, 2006 5:58:10 PM

Quote:

Umm, isn't the fsp quad-pumped, as in 266 x 4?

It is, but I am trying to keep it simple enough for most people to understand.
August 1, 2006 6:13:50 PM

k i'm leaning towards the E6400 right now. like later on will there be reviews on overclocking the E6400 and better comparisons of it with the other core 2 duos?
August 2, 2006 12:55:39 AM

Quote:
I got the E6400 because its multiplier is higher and I refuse to buy a cpu that is less than 2 ghz even if it is still fast.

Right..... and Ghz is everything....
August 2, 2006 1:06:28 AM

Quote:
I got the E6400 because its multiplier is higher and I refuse to buy a cpu that is less than 2 ghz even if it is still fast.

My 3.6GHz P4 trashes your puny 1.83GHz Core2!!!
August 2, 2006 1:29:47 AM

lmao...... I should save that as your quote and put it in my sig.....
August 2, 2006 3:48:46 AM

I have water cooling I can use on an E6400. How high do you guys think I could get the E6400 up to?
August 2, 2006 3:50:25 AM

Quote:

No. It just feels strange going from a 3 ghz P4 to a 1.83 ghz E6300.
August 2, 2006 3:52:34 AM

Quote:
this is the mobo and ram i'm getting for my new conroe build. i just like to know how far i can overclock the E6600 and E6400 w/o volt mod. also which one should i get and will the extra 2mb chache make a noticable difference between the 2 models?

mobo- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131030

ram- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231073

Sweet, thats exactly what I got!! I got the mobo and ram (Hell Yeah G. Skill!!!). but tigerdirect is out of E6400's so mines on backorder :( 
August 2, 2006 5:16:39 AM

Quote:
No. It just feels strange going from a 3 ghz P4 to a 1.83 ghz E6300.

I have to admit... it does feel a little bit strange (I will be moving from my OC'ed P4 630 to the E6600 once I get the money to do so), but again, Ghz still isn't everything.
August 7, 2006 10:11:22 AM

i got a p4 2.4 ghz 533fsb with 512mb of ram
so conroe could eat my dirt :p 
August 7, 2006 5:03:04 PM

Quote:
You're limited by the low multiplier basically. That's why you see people like Prophecy and me prefer going with E6600 for its 9x multiplier to try and reach 4Ghz+.

OC'ing ability plays into it a lot, but the extra cache will also come in handy later on.
!